Buddy Hall Cue on Ebay

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
"Personal" cue to Buddy didn't mean much. He got them free and they were all for sale. This is likely a player of his. I know its old but if it was sent to sell it wouldn't have all those shafts. Never seen a case with his name on it. Been around the guy a lot over the years. Cues to him were just a tool. He came to Tulsa once with a Bludworth he said was greatest ever and sold it before he left.

Only 2 of the shafts(ringwork)are the same. Would Meucci just send random shafts?

Buddy owning this makes zero difference in its worth.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only 2 of the shafts(ringwork)are the same. Would Meucci just send random shafts?

Buddy owning this makes zero difference in its worth.
That's why i think it was player. If he liked a couple shafts he'd keep them. One thing he was/is picky about was shaft size. As for the price, there are a LOT of big-time BH fans out there. To them it may well be worth it. A friend of mine once gave 600bux for a Jordan-autographed game ball. I thought he was insane. He still has it, its worth around a grand now.

Last edited:

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be a little careful, I can't speak on the butt as it looks legit to me, but two of the shafts actually have different ring work than the other two. And, none of them actually match the ring work on the butt.

If you count the colored veneers you will see they are not all the same. Two have 4 veneers, and two have more 5 or 6. Colors don't match well either, but that could just be age,finish, or even sweat from hands on joint rings.

Nice cue either way.

I don't agree. All four shafts have what look to be 5 inlays in a black-blue-black pattern, as does the butt at the joint. Granted, the width of the blue inlays on two of the shafts are thicker than on the other two shafts and the butt, and one of the white rings on one of the shafts appears to be a bit thin, but from my experience with Meucci cues over the years, that variation would not be too unusual.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I don't agree. All four shafts have what look to be 5 inlays in a black-blue-black pattern, as does the butt at the joint. Granted, the width of the blue inlays on two of the shafts are thicker than on the other two shafts and the butt, and one of the white rings on one of the shafts appears to be a bit thin, but from my experience with Meucci cues over the years, that variation would not be too unusual.

You should probably clean your screen. Lol

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
That's why i think it was player. If he liked a couple shafts he'd keep them. One thing he was/is picky about was shaft size. As for the price, there are a LOT of big-time BH fans out there. To them it may well be worth it. A friend of mine once gave 600bux for a Jordan-autographed game ball. I thought he was insane. He still has it, its worth around a grand now.

Comparing Buddy Hall to Jordan? We have jumped the shark ladies and gentlemen

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know what i meant. Things that their favorites used makes them spend $$$ others would never do.

Tell Buddy he can play with a cue for a week, take a few pictures of him playing with it and make over a K a cue on ebay lol. I get the history factor and if it's something someone played with for most of their career it may even entice me, but not for a cue he may have used for a week or two.

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at the shafts. Pretty clean. Which tells me if it was played by him, and impossible to say for sure, was played very little. $1800 for this is crazy. I wouldn’t pay half that. Well, with 4 shafts? Maybe $1000. But nowhere near where it is at right now.

And the shaft collars aren’t that close. You have 2 that match the cue and two miscellaneous. 2 have red or purple in them.

Last edited:

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly. The only thing that you have is a box that went to Buddy. No provenance that the cue was his. Could have been bought from Buddy and the guy kept the box. The case seems cool. Maybe a Flowers. But I don’t see how anyone could pay 2300 for that. Wow.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Tell Buddy he can play with a cue for a week, take a few pictures of him playing with it and make over a K a cue on ebay lol. I get the history factor and if it's something someone played with for most of their career it may even entice me, but not for a cue he may have used for a week or two.

Sounds like Efren and some folks lol, and them top secret cues....

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The screen is clean, but my eyes aren't always up to par now. What am I missing?

I hear ya, My eyes get blurry too. Just the ringwork being different colors and different thickness. Could be the shaft with JP on it could be covering part of the white on it but all those shafts weren't built for that cue.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Several of Buddy Hall's actual playing cues are in the Glenn collection. There must have been a few hundred "Buddy Hall" Meucci cues made. Buddy would have some for sale at every tournament he played in back in the 1980's.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear ya, My eyes get blurry too. Just the ringwork being different colors and different thickness. Could be the shaft with JP on it could be covering part of the white on it but all those shafts weren't built for that cue.

Yeah, I figured the color difference could be due to photographic inconsistency. I used to take quite a few photos of items I was selling online, and I found that getting colors to render the same in every shot was sometimes a challenge - particularly on a non-flat surface and under glossy finishes.

As to the differences in inlay thicknesses and the potential thin ring on the jp shaft, I have seen this type of variation in Meucci cues on supposedly identical models more than a few times. I guess my thought would be that the two shafts that generally match the butt were made with it, and the other two were ordered and produced by Meucci at some later time.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Yeah, I figured the color difference could be due to photographic inconsistency. I used to take quite a few photos of items I was selling online, and I found that getting colors to render the same in every shot was sometimes a challenge - particularly on a non-flat surface and under glossy finishes.

As to the differences in inlay thicknesses and the potential thin ring on the jp shaft, I have seen this type of variation in Meucci cues on supposedly identical models more than a few times. I guess my thought would be that the two shafts that generally match the butt were made with it, and the other two were ordered and produced by Meucci at some later time.

Fair enough:thumbup:

What's certain is the buyer got raped and just doesn't know it yet. Roofies perhaps?:D