Angle Detective by CueAndMe

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
11-19-19 Big Update in Post #52

After 11 years, it’s finally here! I call it The Angle Detective System. It is a collection of many methods, each of which can be a powerful on its own to help your game. I decided to make it donation-based so that everyone can learn it without any catch. There is a lot already there, but I recognize that I am just one person with one perspective. I welcome and look forward to input from the cue sport community to help improve the system and keep it growing. Here's a link to the CueAndMe website:

http://cueandme.com

Please help me to spread the word. Share it with anyone that you think would benefit. I’m not sure how to best get this out to people. If you have any advice for me, I’m all ears.

And share your thoughts and questions. If you see anything confusing in the instruction, please let me know. It can get technical at times, and I want to make sure that everything is easily understood. Your input can help me to reword or re-illustrate any confusing sections.

About Angle Detective

The Angle Detective system is not arrogant. It does not rain on others’ parades. It does not displace or disprove other teaching methods. It recognizes that there is room for all and that the more tools we can add to our tool kit, the better. It plays well with other methods.

Although it can be used as a primary method, it can also be used as a secondary method to double check your work. Or it can be used as a preliminary method to hone in on a very narrow range of shot selections before applying your primary method. Or simply use the printable table marking tool for precision practice.

So what does it do?

• It drastically improves shot angle recognition through novel methods.

• It labels, organizes and categorizes shot angles and aims for easy handling.

• Its labeling method opens up lines of discussion, allowing us to refer to any shot angle from 0° to 90° without having to mention a degree measurement or even a number.

• It offers brand new ways to see and measure banks/doubles, caroms/cannons and combinations/plants.

• It shows us how to adjust for different cue ball to object ball proximity.

• It precisely measures cue ball post-collision paths.

• It shows us where the center of a pocket really is. Is it where you think it is?

• It teaches an odd but helpful new use for a simple cube of chalk.

• It presents brand new printable tools for reference, measurement and precision practice.

• If you don't already love geometry you will, because the geometry it teaches makes you a better player.

• It teaches how we can practice shot recognition no matter where we are—in a waiting room, in the shower, on a bus, or just staring at a brick wall.

• It makes spectating of a pool or snooker match more active and enjoyable, because it turns it into a practice session.

• It unveils geometric references that had always been right there in front of us on the pool or snooker table that can be helpful during play.

• It shows us how to turn our hands into reference tools.

• It gives us a new way to measure the range of shots available for pocket cheating and obstruction avoidance.

• It offers brand new practice drills and practice games.

• And much much more!

Being so new and radical, I think there’s at least one new thing that every player at every level can take away from it. At least that’s my hope.

Thank you, and enjoy!

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just clicked on your website and must say I like what I see already. Everything it clear, clean and precise. Easy readability is a big plus imo. I like the way you go about it as well, explaining what your system is and how to understand and use it. Just reading the first few pages and it is an interesting read. Well thought out and well researched. It looks like you have made an impressive body of work here. You may have earned your Masters degree in Pool! Or better yet, your Doctoral!

I'm on board with you bluepepper. Now exactly how did that name come about? :smile:

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just clicked on your website and must say I like what I see already. Everything it clear, clean and precise. Easy readability is a big plus imo. I like the way you go about it as well, explaining what your system is and how to understand and use it. Just reading the first few pages and it is an interesting read. Well thought out and well researched. It looks like you have made an impressive body of work here. You may have earned your Masters degree in Pool! Or better yet, your Doctoral!

I'm on board with you bluepepper. Now exactly how did that name come about? :smile:

Thank you so much, Jay! I truly appreciate such a pleasant first comment about the release.

Ya know, I can't remember why I went with bluepepper. It was so long ago and my memory is getting pretty bad. :( I do like the color blue and I like spicy things. Maybe that was it?

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you very much! I can’t even imagine how much time you’ve put into this. So far I’m seeing ‘plain language’ discussion of a non-trivial subject. That is the gift of teaching, in my book at least. I’ll be checking all of this out in detail.

/cheers

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you very much! I can’t even imagine how much time you’ve put into this. So far I’m seeing ‘plain language’ discussion of a non-trivial subject. That is the gift of teaching, in my book at least. I’ll be checking all of this out in detail.

/cheers

It's my pleasure! I'm happy to share anything I can. Thank you for the compliment and for noticing the plain language of the writing. I didn't want it to come across as too technical. I tried very hard to make it as clear as I could.

As for the time I put into it? Well, it's scary. This project has actually consumed my life over the past 3 years. I estimate about 5,000 hours of work. But it was fun for at least half of that time. ;)

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for all of this hard work. I plan on giving it my full attention.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow that is alot of work you have put down.

Much of what I saw( I spent about 30 min )is
already automatic to me. I see the lines in
my head and at this point is second nature.

That being said, when I have a few hours to dive deep,
I am going to give it the respect it deserves and play
around with it some.

Keep up the good work.
This looks fun. I enjoy getting into the math of it all. A new perspective on an old and drawn out subject is intriguing.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Excellent! I like what you've got here!

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Well done from what I have looked over! I didn't get to watch the entire vid but I really like what you said early in the vid... "I like learning what I don't know, and like teaching what I do"... That will take you places in life right there! Thanks for putting in the time and effort to share this with the pool community.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for all of this hard work. I plan on giving it my full attention.

Awesome! Thank you!

Wow that is alot of work you have put down.

Much of what I saw( I spent about 30 min )is
already automatic to me. I see the lines in
my head and at this point is second nature.

That being said, when I have a few hours to dive deep,
I am going to give it the respect it deserves and play
around with it some.

Keep up the good work.
This looks fun. I enjoy getting into the math of it all. A new perspective on an old and drawn out subject is intriguing.

I guess you're one of those players that just has the gift. But I appreciate that you're still going to give the methods a try. And I appreciate that you appreciate the math of it all!

Excellent! I like what you've got here!

Thanks, Brian! I want to mention that your Poolology release was among the reasons I kept motivated to continue working on this. I really enjoyed the book. Angle Detective was still in its infancy then but I saw how the two could be used together. Poolology is a great system. For some reason I totally missed that you created a website for Poolology, but I've been subscribed to your YouTube channel and have seen all of your videos. I really enjoy them.

I don't recall buying the book through a website when you released it. I was hoping that you'd have a home for it on the web. I'm glad to see you have the website now. Keep up the great work!

Well done from what I have looked over! I didn't get to watch the entire vid but I really like what you said early in the vid... "I like learning what I don't know, and like teaching what I do"... That will take you places in life right there! Thanks for putting in the time and effort to share this with the pool community.

I appreciate that. I'm really big into the open sharing of knowledge. I feel that everybody has something special to share. I know that video was kind of long and dry, but I'm glad it was received well. It took me forever to learn how to edit the damn thing. And I've forgotten how to edit since then. I have to get back into it this week or next. I have a new video experiment of forward cue ball post-collision paths that I want to get ready soon. It's an interesting experiment, and I show the results of it in the Angle Detective system Application section.

Anyway, thanks for the support!

Easily deserving of a ‘bump.’

Much appreciated! Thanks!

nice work!

Thanks a lot, Snooker Theory! Btw, I've gotten heavily into watching snooker over the past year. I love it. I got a cheap set of balls and a snooker cue, but my 9 foot pool table with cushion noses designed for pool balls really isn't the best place to play. I still have fun with the snooker ball set though. And the forward cue ball path experiment that I mention above was done with the snooker balls. Hopefully I'll have that video up within the next couple of weeks.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess you're one of those players that just has the gift.

I dont think it has anything to do with a gift.
I believe it has come from studying books
like Robert Byrne's Standards... and Pool Shots,
Phil Capellle, Eddie Robin, etc.

Doing the drills in those books.
Putting in crazy hours at the table.
Creating my own drills in notebooks.
Dr.Daves material.

It didn't come automatically to me, it was
a process that one day just clicked.

Putting your material out there for free for everyone
is a great service to anyone looking to learn the game.

A lot of good information on there in just the small
amount I have been able to check out thus far.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear you, couldnthinkof01. It's good to know that with enough of the right kind of practice, feel can be developed. As much as I thought I had tried everything, it's quite possible that I never worked hard enough or on the right drills.

Thanks for the positive comments on what you've seen so far!

Reactions: CGM

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correction on "Angle Detective Geometry" page

A reader pointed out an error that I had on the Angle Detective Geometry page of the Theory section. I have since corrected it.

The 'F' rectangle was showing 5/8. It has been corrected to 6/8 or 3/4.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just my take but that's just waaaay more info than i would ever delve into. I got through a few pages and said "uncle". I just don't know how many players are going to read/digest/use all of that. Hats off to your effort but its not for me.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
After 11 years, it’s finally here! I call it The Angle Detective System. It is a collection of many methods, each of which can be a powerful on its own to help your game.

Okay, the big problem with your aiming system is....

I figured I'd put that there first :) I like what I see so far! (That's not a problem). Nice job!

Freddie <~~~ likes the scissors instruction

Last edited:

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Just my take but that's just waaaay more info than i would ever delve into. I got through a few pages and said "uncle". I just don't know how many players are going to read/digest/use all of that. Hats off to your effort but its not for me.

Better too much than not enough :)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better too much than not enough :)
Wrong. Aiming is not that difficult. Too much info can lead to "paralysis-by-analysis" just like in golf. Some may want all that, i'm not one of them. A very famous golf inst. once said " Some players need to know everything, some want to know nothing". I kind of fall in-between to some extent.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrong. Aiming is not that difficult. Too much info can lead to "paralysis-by-analysis" just like in golf. Some may want all that, i'm not one of them. A very famous golf inst. once said " Some players need to know everything, some want to know nothing". I kind of fall in-between to some extent.

I'm pretty sure thats why Sir Charles has that hitchy
stroke. Iirc he went to too many lessons to work
on his swing. Was shooting in the high 80's,
now his swing looks like he has actual paralysis:)

Lot of good info on that website for those looking
to learn some.