older cues, black ferrule

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I've seen pics of older cues, from the 50's and 60's, many have black ferrules. What is the material of the ferrule?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen pics of older cues, from the 50's and 60's, many have black ferrules. What is the material of the ferrule?

I don't know if it's the same material as the white fiber ferrule offered back then but it machines simular.

IMG_20191208_113846.jpg

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Brunswick also used a fairly soft plastic at one point. Mike showed the fiber-based. There's a non-fiber that you can make one continuous ribbon out of, very very soft.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Brunswick also used a fairly soft plastic at one point. Mike showed the fiber-based. There's a non-fiber that you can make one continuous ribbon out of, very very soft.

The fiber based ones were good...the other ones swelled a lot.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The fiber based ones were good...the other ones swelled a lot.

I agree on both counts.

I have a big bag of the fiber and a couple of Brunswick Repair Kits worth of the plastic for that reason

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

Funny that used used the word "point". That is what Brunswick used to call them back in the day.:grin:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Or as Brunswick called them "Fibre" points. Must be a Euro thing.

Goes all the way back to 1066....when Harold lost to William the Conqueror.
...a lot of French entered the English language.
C’est la vie

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Goes all the way back to 1066....when Harold lost to William the Conqueror.
...a lot of French entered the English language.
C’est la vie

I think I missed that battle. I was busy playing croquet at King Henry's palace, fifty shillings a wicket. Merci beaucoup. :D

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

of course the first ferrules... if they were not ivory.....were black plastic...which was like the model t....it came in any color you wanted so long as black was it.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black Ferrules

I would venture to say, the Black Ferrules came from Pool Rooms, full of nasty looking white tipped Pool Cues. To get passed that, they just put Black Ferruled ones on & forgot about the problem...