Diveney Shaft Questions

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a few Diveney sneaky pete cues and I love the soft hit. I'd like to have him build me a couple new shafts but for a Jacoby butt I own, but Pat will not do it. I'm going to have to go through a local cue builder.

Does anyone know if Pat uses any special techniques (drilling out the core, etc) for his standard maple shafts or if he uses any special treatments for the wood to get that soft hit? Or what kind of ferrules he uses? I'd love to be able to give the local builder some ideas. BTW, its not the tip - I use triangles on all my cues and Pat's shafts have a much softer hit regardless of the tip. Thanks.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A soft hit with a Triangle tip that is normally very hard? I have never experienced that on any cue. If you are, then is it a flat faced cue joint- most of the softer hitting cues that I played were flat faced joints, usually no ivory or metal material anywhere in the joint, his ferrule material/construction may be a factor.

I don't think shafts themselves lend to softer or harder hitting cues, unless maybe the shaft taper is unusually stiff- conical- ( harder hitting perhaps) or a longer ( 14inch or more) pro taper-softer hitting perhaps?

If you are talking standard maple shafts- then also perhaps the density of his shaft wood or how the shaft wood is cut and cured may be a factor- but I still believe it is either the ferrule or the cue joint that is most affecting the hardness or softness of the cue "hit"

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a few of pats cues and at least 5 shafts from him.

A: Id say they all play somewhat on the stiff end of average.
2, pretty sure Pat uses shaft blanks that come to him largely done.
2- ok

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last PD i had used a Juma ferrule and had a somewhat softer hit. Juma tends to be a lil softer hitting in my experience.

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input everyone. It sounds like its the ferrule he uses. The taper is surprisingly fairly conical rather than having a large pro taper.