APA Sponsorship of the Mosconi Cup

BarTableMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The APA evidently had thousands of dollars laying around, that us amateurs paid for, to send to a Pro players event. I'm confused.... that's equivalent to Pee Wee Football giving their money away to the NFL instead of to their own players. Hell if I'm the APA I'd use my "extra cash" to buy every team captain a nice APA winter coat, not send it to a group of Pro players who have nothing to do with my organization. What's to gain? Just want to understand why that's a wise decision both financially and ethically.

(I'm a huge supporter of the APA. This is not intended to be a bash.)

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nowhere does it say that 100% of our dues have to be returned to us. they have to pay employees, market themselves, etc.

Last edited:

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's like any other sponsor these players have, they get the APA logo and name out there. They are advertising their product and helping the pool players out at the same time.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont have an issue with it. Once I hand over my money its theirs to do what they want with. It would be kinda like me telling WalMart what ti do with their money once I spend it there.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The APA evidently had thousands of dollars laying around, that us amateurs paid for, to send to a Pro players event. I'm confused.... that's equivalent to Pee Wee Football giving their money away to the NFL instead of to their own players. Hell if I'm the APA I'd use my "extra cash" to buy every team captain a nice APA winter coat, not send it to a group of Pro players who have nothing to do with my organization. What's to gain? Just want to understand why that's a wise decision both financially and ethically.

(I'm a huge supporter of the APA. This is not intended to be a bash.)

It's called marketing.

It's the most expensive thing most every business invest in.

Jeff Livingston

BarTableMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Advertising and marketing...

So I understand the responses...someone has calculated the number of additional league players gained as value against the dollars spent on this Mosconi Cup sponsorship? No way. I think the honest answer here: it was a donation, not marketing. And as a donation..I just wondered why.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I understand the responses...someone has calculated the number of additional league players gained as value against the dollars spent on this Mosconi Cup sponsorship? No way. I think the honest answer here: it was a donation, not marketing. And as a donation..I just wondered why.

So no matter what anyone says, you have your preconceived idea, and you are sticking with it.

Good on you man!

The further we drift into truth and reason, the less room there will be for crackpot theories! :thumbup:

MatchroomPool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
It was marketing and the APA are using the Mosconi Cup to connect their players to the wide world of pool. More power to them!

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Does home depot calculate the number of new customers they get by sponsoring a nascar team? Does the everyday home depot shopper benefit by the millions of dollars home depot spends on a sprint cup season?

I think it is as stated earlier...marketing. there were usually between 7 and 8 thousand people streaming the event that heard they were sponsored by APA. 2500 in the venue, and no telling how many watching on sky sports worldwide. Throw in promotional posters and other items and I reckon it was a pretty big exposure (as far as pool goes).

If the APA ever has plans to expand across the pond, this would be a great foot in the door. Regardless, someone at APA felt it was a wise use of marketing dollars.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

While I agree it was likely a advertising/ marketing stance I also agree with your view about it more or less resulted in a donation. The reason I say that is because I highly doubt people will join the apa due to sponsoring the mosconi cup and the apa haters on here are still gonna hate.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not all marketing is targeted or designed to convert to hard sales. Some is done to increase brand recognition. This is still marketing, not a donation.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You walk into a pool room today in USA and ask them who Earl Strickland or Shane Van Boening or Efren Reyes is, and you'll get that deer-in-headlights look. Nobody knows who they are in mainstream America. And sadly, the majority of social and recreational shooters don't know who these pool champions are either. Never heard of them.

The APA is making a good move, I think, and this will garner more money into the industry and professional pool if they can unit the Tribal Nation of Pool as a whole.

I watched some of the APA interviews this year at the Cup. They were spot on. Good stuff. If you haven't seen them,find out where they are and check 'em out. :cool:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How wasn’t it marketing? They had thier sponsorship over everything . Remember the Apa is in other countries which didn’t have to watch facebook to view the event ...they watched it on a normal television channel. The Apa is a business... They give a ton back to the players but at the end of the day if your playing Apa for anything then entertainment with the chances for a fun 4 days in vegas your playing for the wrong reason.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

Woah, there, fella.

The APA is THE MOST SUCCESSFUL POOL ENTERPRISE.

They don't throw away money, just cuz they have some.

The APA does calculate results.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Does home depot calculate the number of new customers they get by sponsoring a nascar team? Does the everyday home depot shopper benefit by the millions of dollars home depot spends on a sprint cup season?

I think it is as stated earlier...marketing. there were usually between 7 and 8 thousand people streaming the event that heard they were sponsored by APA. 2500 in the venue, and no telling how many watching on sky sports worldwide. Throw in promotional posters and other items and I reckon it was a pretty big exposure (as far as pool goes).

If the APA ever has plans to expand across the pond, this would be a great foot in the door. Regardless, someone at APA felt it was a wise use of marketing dollars.

And here we are talking about them...more exposure.

It's working!

Jeff Livingston

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ha... :smile: appears to be no distinction between a league paying member and union playing member; too tell the boss what to do.
Just wasn't a reasonable chance to see it myself, so...

no big deal

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man I’m rewatching Tyler Styer vs Niels Feijen and there’s that APA Logo right there on Tyler’s chest. A 23 year old American kid taking down a European world pool champion, what a great place to advertise a pool league. Amazing.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy shit Niels face after Tyler banks that 1 ball, he looks like he’s ready to tear some phone books in half!