Roys looking for matches for Filler

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To have a shot at Shane, go with tight pockets and old cloth. Shane won't play Dennis on table #1 or #6 at HardTimes. Believe he said he won't gamble there himself.

I'd take Dennis at HardTimes 9b over Shane even with Shane slaughtering him over 30+ racks in 10b.

I would have to agree.

I'm pretty sure I've heard Shane say the same things.

When you have a big break, tight pockets takes the advantage away. Although, Shane is about as accurate a shot maker as anyone, there are a few young guns that he just can't match shot for shot.

Then again, those shot making machines can't break with SVB either.

I'm with you on DO having an edge on really tight equipment but, I doubt he would beat SVB by 30+ games, no matter how tight the equipment was.

In the end, I doubt we will see such a match.

I would like to see them rematch on a 10 footer at 9 ball with 9 on the spot.

Jeff

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To have a shot at Shane, go with tight pockets and old cloth. Shane won't play Dennis on table #1 or #6 at HardTimes. Believe he said he won't gamble there himself.

I'd take Dennis at HardTimes 9b over Shane even with Shane slaughtering him over 30+ racks in 10b.
Shane gave Corey Deuel the 5 & 6 ball playing 10 Ball on super tight pockets at Hard Times Sacramento and steam rolled him.

Corey never had a chance and after the match Corey said he needed the 4 & 5 ball next time they played :yikes:

Shane hit a gear and made those pockets look like he was playing on a Valley Bar Box.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane gave Corey Deuel the 5 & 6 ball playing 10 Ball on super tight pockets at Hard Times Sacramento and steam rolled him.

Corey never had a chance and after the match Corey said he needed the 4 & 5 ball next time they played :yikes:

Shane hit a gear and made those pockets look like he was playing on a Valley Bar Box.

I heard tell of that. I just assumed it was misinformation.

When did that happen?

If he can still catch that type high of a gear on tight equipment, I think some may need to rethink the DO advantage on tighter equipment.

Jeff

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have to agree.

I'm pretty sure I've heard Shane say the same things.

When you have a big break, tight pockets takes the advantage away. Although, Shane is about as accurate a shot maker as anyone, there are a few young guns that he just can't match shot for shot.

Then again, those shot making machines can't break with SVB either.

I'm with you on DO having an edge on really tight equipment but, I doubt he would beat SVB by 30+ games, no matter how tight the equipment was.

In the end, I doubt we will see such a match.

I would like to see them rematch on a 10 footer at 9 ball with 9 on the spot.

Jeff

Shane isn't quite as accurate as the other elite pros. He gets away with it because of his break though. There were stats regarding the Mosconi Cup. The pockets were 4.25 instead of 4.5. Shane made more errors than anyone else on either team. Granted he played more games than the others but still. I believe he shot 878 whereas Shaw and Filler were around 925 like they normally are.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
It's my opinion. You have yours.

Life's to short to argue with someone that is so uneducated that they have to resort to name calling etc...etc, at the first sign of someone that has a different opinion on "any" subject.

You can waste your time trying to police my opinions but, I'm done with you.

That sir, is one thing you cannot control.

Have a good day sir.

Jeff

Name calling? Where?

Said it was a BS statement

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane isn't quite as accurate as the other elite pros. He gets away with it because of his break though. There were stats regarding the Mosconi Cup. The pockets were 4.25 instead of 4.5. Shane made more errors than anyone else on either team. Granted he played more games than the others but still. I believe he shot 878 whereas Shaw and Filler were around 925 like they normally are.

Yes sir. I agree.

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
I would rather see DO play filler than SVB although Shane is my favorite player. Have DO play him 9B races to 50 best 2 out of 3 sets. DO with his precise cueball and their breaks being even would barbecue filler. IMO of course. I would rather see this first before SVB. I think DO is the 9B king and close to the one pocket king as well. I’m not a DO fan but you can’t deny his Buddy Hall from the 70’s and 80’s precision. He’s a better version of Buddy Hall whom I seen in tough matches in his prime 100’s of times.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I heard tell of that. I just assumed it was misinformation.

When did that happen?

If he can still catch that type high of a gear on tight equipment, I think some may need to rethink the DO advantage on tighter equipment.

Jeff

It happened in my home town and I couldn't believe it either. On a very tough table no less. Like I always say, the way to make a big score is to give up the nuts and overcome it.
I'm sure Corey thought he was stealing. :rolleyes:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Some of the Action Report matches were played on modified 4" Gold Crown. Shane played spectacularly on it and basically slaughtered every opponent on it at one time or another.

Everybody has a cracking point when it comes to pressure. A tight table lowers that threshold. Mosconi cup is a spectacle with team/peer pressure played in front of an international audience. We see the same in Ryder Cup golf - no pressure like it.

Long races allow a player like Shane to loosen up. When he does, take cover. Maybe Filler will do the same, but who knows yet?

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I would rather see DO play filler than SVB although Shane is my favorite player. Have DO play him 9B races to 50 best 2 out of 3 sets. DO with his precise cueball and their breaks being even would barbecue filler. IMO of course. I would rather see this first before SVB. I think DO is the 9B king and close to the one pocket king as well. I’m not a DO fan but you can’t deny his Buddy Hall from the 70’s and 80’s precision. He’s a better version of Buddy Hall whom I seen in tough matches in his prime 100’s of times.

Filler runs him over

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was in February 2014, Shane beat Corey 21-10 with Corey getting the 5+6 in 10-ball. It was livestreamed by Hard Times.
Watched it live.

Corey had a trouble making a ball on the break.

IIRC, they both left together in Corey's rental car afterwards :eek:

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that's it! gypsy-soul

internet bravado at its funniest

I am not a WOLFER and i will BET pretty high on gypsy soul against other posters on here,i personally have met and gambled with him (years ago) and he simply loves to play and gamble...is not nowhere near being a champion or even decent shortstop...but he isn,t helpless either,just loves to play against regular joes,like he is...it isn,t an act or bluffing,just post up and play him if you think that.

Last edited:

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think Filler's backers want to take on the undisputed King at his best game? What if Filler wins? How many people will want to play him after that?
If your in it for the cash, and most backers are.....why play the best and throw away money you could win from the low hanging fruit?
just sayin.....

About the same as he is getting now...NONE ...who do you think is trying to play him period...none...but he can,t ask for more than shane is offering,neutral racker,just make sure the balls are froze,if not,ask for rerack??how fair can you make it?. Nine ball,the wing ball goes every time so its 8 ball or less on the table after every break,less traffic...ten ball for BIG boys,period..

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
No 2. is simply not true...

Here's my 2 cents:

1) Someone having a better tournament record has nothing to do with a gambling match between the two.

2) Filler losing his match in the Mosconi Cup will have no bearing on his future playing skills.

3) Shane playing ten ball under his conditions (RYO, long race, big money, Winner breaks) is the favorite against anyone. No one can put the packages together like Shane. You just can't fade that many racks.

4) There is no question Filler is a great player. If he thought he could beat Shane at ten ball he would play. He wouldn't be concerned about future action. Once Shane put some packages together I think Filler would fade.

Filler is still super young, youth brings a feeling of invincibility that age and experience dispels.

The problem with that feeling is that a loss, especially a loss like his against skyler that brings a defeat in the biggest match up every year (yes the mosconi cup is the biggest match up in pocket billiards of the year) can have huge detrimental effects on the mental game, which is the biggest part of the game at the highest levels.

Jaden

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Jaden!

You're right that confidence is paramount at the elite level. It's hard to know what's going to impact Filler's self belief. I wouldn't want to bet the MC loss is hard for him to shake off.

To win the titles he's won he's had to shake off a lot of painful losses prior to this. He's also had a lot of positive experiences to build confidence on. I'm not sure why this loss would be any different than just another result in a long string of results. I think he'll be ok.

Then again, I've been wrong before.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Filler is still super young, youth brings a feeling of invincibility that age and experience dispels.

The problem with that feeling is that a loss, especially a loss like his against skyler that brings a defeat in the biggest match up every year (yes the mosconi cup is the biggest match up in pocket billiards of the year) can have huge detrimental effects on the mental game, which is the biggest part of the game at the highest levels.

Jaden

Hey Jaden!

You're right that confidence is paramount at the elite level. It's hard to know what's going to impact Filler's self belief. I wouldn't want to bet the MC loss is hard for him to shake off.

To win the titles he's won he's had to shake off a lot of painful losses prior to this. He's also had a lot of positive experiences to build confidence on. I'm not sure why this loss would be any different than just another result in a long string of results. I think he'll be ok.

Then again, I've been wrong before.

Twice Filler dogged it in the Sky match....he shot a simple 2-ball, subtle hold for the 4-ball
....couldn’t let go of the cue....had to play safe.
Later game, shot a ball down the rail, another soft hit shot, had to hit it high right to hold it.
....hit center ball instead and froze on the 9-ball to hook himself.

He knows he dogged it....big learning experience...he will learn from this....
...the world is in even more trouble in the next two years...he’ll be tougher.

My opinion, of course