Top 10 Safeties You Must Master

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night playing in a moneyball ring game after being hooked for the umpteenth time, I brought this thread up.
Made a big presentation to the other players.
Asked the guy who was hooking me, "Are you Dr. Dave?".
Everyone had a good laugh-at my expense.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happened on the 9 ball shot at about 2:10? It looked funny when inside the pocket. I don't think I've seen a ball react quite like that one did. Did not look like a typical rattle.

heisenbug

Registered
Great video. Tons of great content.

If it was missing anything, I guess I'd say I only wish it had a few more "end game" scenarios. Sometimes I run into a safety battle near the end of a game, and one mistake and it's game over. There's a few common ones that keep coming up, for me at least. (Maybe because I'm not that great at running all my racks out yet, ha.)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
What happened on the 9 ball shot at about 2:10? It looked funny when inside the pocket. I don't think I've seen a ball react quite like that one did. Did not look like a typical rattle.
This used to happen at times with my Connelly table also. If the ball hits the back of the pocket at a certain angle and certain speed, it bounces back into pocket lip. My Connelly used to actually reject balls on occasion ... but only when you hit the pocket really pure.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great video. Tons of great content.

If it was missing anything, I guess I'd say I only wish it had a few more "end game" scenarios. Sometimes I run into a safety battle near the end of a game, and one mistake and it's game over. There's a few common ones that keep coming up, for me at least. (Maybe because I'm not that great at running all my racks out yet, ha.)
Good point. Bob Jewett and I cover these in great detail in our VENT series.

Regards,
Dave

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have to improve my safety game. Your video will be a great help. Thank you.

Do you have any video with safety option, when only CB and OB are on the table?
This kind of safeties, like in the picture.
Safety.jpg

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have to improve my safety game. Your video will be a great help. Thank you.

Do you have any video with safety option, when only CB and OB are on the table?
This kind of safeties, like in the picture.
View attachment 541807
The following video covers this option along with many alternatives:

NV J.24 – Top 10 End-Game Last-Ball Shot Options

I also have several full-length instructional videos that cover standard end-game safeties like this, along with many other during-game defensive and offensive safety options, including many advanced types of safeties:

VEPS III, VEPP-III, VEEB-III, and VENT-IV

Regards,
Dave

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody on Facebook pointed out that the the jump shot at 5:47 is not a foul under BCAPL rules. FYI, here is my reply:

I claimed that the bump of the 8 with the shaft of the cue might be a foul under some rules (e.g., see CSI/BCAPL Rule 1-34). However, the CB did not jump over the 8, so it is not considered an "impeding ball." Regardless, it is a bit risky disturbing a ball that is very close to impeding a jump. A referee who does not have video instant replay might call this shot a foul when he or she sees the 8-ball move. For more information about rule sets and differences among them, see:
https://billiards.colostate.edu/resources/rules/rule-differences/

Regards,
Dave

The 8-ball hit IMO doesn't have anything to do with the jump shot, but when it's movement resulted in a potential change in position for the shot next (shooting the 8) I would consider it a foul. Has happened to me in BCAPL when I was shooting the last ball before the 8 and actually bumped the 8. I felt the new position of the 8 was just as clear as where it originally sat, but there were balls in the immediate area, no different than the 9 in this case, and it did make a difference. League Operator was there to make the call and it was deemed a foul.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Somebody on Facebook pointed out that the the jump shot at 5:47 is not a foul under BCAPL rules. FYI, here is my reply:

I claimed that the bump of the 8 with the shaft of the cue might be a foul under some rules (e.g., see CSI/BCAPL Rule 1-34). However, the CB did not jump over the 8, so it is not considered an "impeding ball." Regardless, it is a bit risky disturbing a ball that is very close to impeding a jump. A referee who does not have video instant replay might call this shot a foul when he or she sees the 8-ball move. For more information about rule sets and differences among them, see:
https://billiards.colostate.edu/resources/rules/rule-differences/
The 8-ball hit IMO doesn't have anything to do with the jump shot, but when it's movement resulted in a potential change in position for the shot next (shooting the 8) I would consider it a foul. Has happened to me in BCAPL when I was shooting the last ball before the 8 and actually bumped the 8. I felt the new position of the 8 was just as clear as where it originally sat, but there were balls in the immediate area, no different than the 9 in this case, and it did make a difference. League Operator was there to make the call and it was deemed a foul.
I'm not aware of any BCAPL rule dealing with this. Can you find it in the CSI/BCAPL rulebook? If so, please post the rule number so I can check it out.

Regards,
Dave

PS: League operators don't always make the right call, based on the actual rules.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know the rules, and I understand that LOs don't always make the right calls. I just try to play fair and logically. When looking at the shot in your video, it is unclear from the videographer's viewpoint if the movement of the 8 made a difference in the path to a pocket before and after the 8 was tapped. If the videographer was my opponent, as was similar when I tapped the 8 in my game, I understand and would concede the foul. If not, people could add the skill of gently tapping an object ball with their cue into their arsenal and move balls around to clear balls that are blocked. Just fyi. League play doesn't mean enough to me to worry either way. I like to play clean and with integrity. Why I choose not to gamble or play in tournaments where it is only cue ball foul. In my book, just because you follow all of the rules doesn't mean cheating can't happen. I am also old school and grew up in the days before there were jump cues, etc. When everything has to be clean there aren't AS MANY arguments!!.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know the rules, and I understand that LOs don't always make the right calls. I just try to play fair and logically. When looking at the shot in your video, it is unclear from the videographer's viewpoint if the movement of the 8 made a difference in the path to a pocket before and after the 8 was tapped.
The 8 had a clear path to the corner both before and after the unintentional nudge. Regardless, when an non-impeding ball is disturbed, your opponent has the right to place it back where he or she thought it was before the shot. Sometimes, your opponent might "fudge" this position a little (e.g., by placing the 8 so there it can't go in the pocket), but I guess that is the price you pay by being sloppy and nudging balls you shouldn't nudge.

Regards,
Dave

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is what I thought the LO was going to do and who knows where my opponent would have placed the ball since he didn't pay that much attention to it until the cue ball came around the table for the shot.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing a guy 100 a game back pocket 20 years ago. I bumped a ball with my stick. He moved it like a foot from where it originally was. We were playing CB fouls only. There are all types out there in life;)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was playing a guy 100 a game back pocket 20 years ago. I bumped a ball with my stick. He moved it like a foot from where it originally was. We were playing CB fouls only. There are all types out there in life;)
Sometimes it only takes a 1/4" to "turn the tables." Whenever this happens to me, I get a little mad at my opponent at first, but then I realize I deserve it for bumping a ball I shouldn't.

Regards,
Dave

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your input is precisely why there need to be a ruleset.

Honest doesn't have to equal correct.

I don't know the rules, and I understand that LOs don't always make the right calls. I just try to play fair and logically. When looking at the shot in your video, it is unclear from the videographer's viewpoint if the movement of the 8 made a difference in the path to a pocket before and after the 8 was tapped. If the videographer was my opponent, as was similar when I tapped the 8 in my game, I understand and would concede the foul. If not, people could add the skill of gently tapping an object ball with their cue into their arsenal and move balls around to clear balls that are blocked. Just fyi. League play doesn't mean enough to me to worry either way. I like to play clean and with integrity. Why I choose not to gamble or play in tournaments where it is only cue ball foul. In my book, just because you follow all of the rules doesn't mean cheating can't happen. I am also old school and grew up in the days before there were jump cues, etc. When everything has to be clean there aren't AS MANY arguments!!.