House Cues

linxhack

Registered
Okay folks... need your opinions.

House cues... old school Dufferin? Cheap 2 pieces?

Want something for my pool room that will last, that I can keep maintained and won’t break the bank. All the while, giving my guests something quality to play with that aren’t cues from my collection.

Thanks in advance for your input!

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Amazon has sets of new Valley one piece 58" cues for around $25 each. Set of four comes with one each of 18, 19, 20 and 21 oz. Set of eight comes with two of each.

They have good reviews.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Want something for my pool room that will last, that I can keep maintained and won’t break the bank. All the while, giving my guests something quality to play with that aren’t cues from my collection.

I think Dufferin made the best house cues ever. I'd like to get my hands on some good ones.

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lucasi, they are 12+ years old and have been in my Bar their entire lives.. Never had one warp or break and they play just fine. They look decent also. Brian.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Schmelke.....4-prong....$13.00

Doubt if there’s any Dufferins kicking around...I bought the last 1,500...sold them years ago.

I am not sure if they are that great anyone, but back in the 90's, my home town pool hall had Valley Supreme house cues, and I really loved the way they played.

They hit very nice, with a Le Pro tip, and they have a nice long taper on them.

Here is one, but I do not know if these are as good as the ones from the 90's.

https://www.pooldawg.com/valley-sup...ObOW4DfFO-5CyZKSmYCJUoUBGSmfeb1EaAgZEEALw_wcB

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seyberts has Dufferin 58” house cues for $35.99. These cues are nice but if I would do it over again I would upgrade the tip.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would recommend contacting a local pool table moving company, billiard store (table sales), or amusement company. Many of them buy used tables cheap from businesses going out of business, or from people selling their homes and moving who choose not to take their table with them and have to get it out of the house after a sales contract is signed. They usually have boxes/trashcans full of cues that you could probably pick from, and wouldn't rob you blind, especially if you came with cash. I would go Dufferin, Valley, or old Brunswicks if you can find them. Sometimes the labels wear off. You should be able to identify quality when you see it.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always had some dufferin house cues around the house
i still have a couple for guest etc

i amthinking of keeping a few of the sneaky petes i just sold for myself
just in case i wanted to sell everything i own again,then i would know i had a cue i like to play with

the dufferins don't feel right to me,meaning they are a little different ballance from what i am esed to

i suspect i could easily adapt if i played with them exclusively for a day or two

i think i bought half a dozen from Jim at NSA on here.

hif he has any left i am sure he could make you a good deal.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
good ol dufferin 1 piece will play as good as anything

Last edited:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My home table has 4 Dufferins that play quite well. When guests play on my table, I use the same one piece cues that I offer them. I keep good tips on them and they make for an enjoyable evening. So far everybody who comes to my house and who does not bring their own cue has been a fairly weak player. If I play, typically I will miss a lot of shots to give others a chance to enjoy playing. So, playing with a house cue is not actually going to affect how I play.

I went through a similar concern a few years back when I was living out of an apartment. When business colleagues would come to town to visit, I would often take them out for pool after dinner. House cue and tip conditions can be fairly poor in pool halls. To provide my guests with a custom looking cue, I bought a couple cheap merry widow 2-piece cues with Triangle tips on sale for $25 each. Not the quality finish you would expect from even most production cue companies. But when I tried playing with them, I was quite surprised that you could have a lot of fun with them for an entire evening. 10 years later, those cues are still reasonably straight.

linxhack

Registered
Any thought to using lower end Players or McDermott Lucky 2 piece cues? They can be found in the $40-$50 per cue range.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick Varner house cues are one of the best going. I bought one and love it , It shoots really well and feels like a high end cue. They are worth the money and look nice 2 .