Why no Guidance on Covid-19 from Cloth, Table Manufacturers or the BCA?

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, really. I have friends and family in FL, and I don’t want to go to your place because you sound like a jerk. So if you just tell me which place is yours, I won’t have to bother your establishment. It a win win!
No worries. Thankfully, all the snowbirds from Michigan have already gone home! :grin:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I foresee a disinfecting UV/LED table light combo in the future.

I have one of those for work and there is a very clear warning on them never to pass it over flesh. Think of it as a 100 years worth of sunburn in a few seconds. The last thing the world needs is a bunch of drunk bar patrons trying to, "get a quick tan", and walking out with skin cancer.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one of those for work and there is a very clear warning on them never to pass it over flesh. Think of it as a 100 years worth of sunburn in a few seconds. The last thing the world needs is a bunch of drunk bar patrons trying to, "get a quick tan", and walking out with skin cancer.
Just as I thought Thanks

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sun gives off UV light all day-Those wands are made for the quick kill in seconds. Seeing as the table light would be on for hours at a time, perhaps a safe adjustment could be made.

The UV wave length used for sterilization ( UV -C) is blocked by the atmosphere and can cause skin damage in seconds.

However there is research on a narrow band of UV-C that doesn't penetrate the skin which may work. More information is needed for safety though. The other issue is will it damage the cloth, cushions, and table, more than likely yes.

Would be nice if it is feasible. A light fixture with both normal and UV lamps, turn off the normal lamp then disinfect the table for 5 minutes. Would still need to wipe down the table and clean the balls. Of course those are the easiest to do.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
why no guidance

To address the initial question, providing guidance creates liability. Nobody in their right mind is going to set themselves up for multi-million dollar lawsuits.

The pool halls I play at have pretty strong cleaning protocols long before covid 19. Some I played on during my youth would probably not met sanitary requirements for a hog pen!

About UV lamps: All kinds of UV bulbs out there and there could probably be something to reduce danger. Something to kill everything would be more like my bank of UV-B bulbs. Thirty seconds to a minute and you come out medium rare!

Hu

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Think the Cloth manufacturers do not want the liability of saying this idea will work, then if someone has a problem, Lawyers will file civil litigation.

Sharks are in the water looking to do what Sharks do, file court cases.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
EDIT: I see Hu beat me to the liability part.

to Robin's question, liability concerns may play a part in why they aren't being more vocal.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The UV wave length used for sterilization ( UV -C) is blocked by the atmosphere and can cause skin damage in seconds.

However there is research on a narrow band of UV-C that doesn't penetrate the skin which may work. More information is needed for safety though. The other issue is will it damage the cloth, cushions, and table, more than likely yes.

Would be nice if it is feasible. A light fixture with both normal and UV lamps, turn off the normal lamp then disinfect the table for 5 minutes. Would still need to wipe down the table and clean the balls. Of course those are the easiest to do.

Direct sunlight has always killed and sanitized many things including shallow water from my knowledge

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...virus-fastest-scientists-200424065853466.html

Last edited:

Guy Manges

Registered
I can set here at home and say it's already being done. I'm sure mfg's and jobers are working to get this all back to norm.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last month I’ve been heavily involved in getting a retail business open safely. I hope safely anyway.

There are a lot of interconnected pieces and absolutely no guidance from any government or health organizations except: wash hands, wear masks, stay 6’ apart.

The public approves of safety measures until they can’t get the item they want. Or we won’t wait on them hand and foot because 2/3 of our staff won’t work right now.

I think there are ways to open pool rooms safely but ultimately it will be up to the industry to figure it out. Government is useless at anything business related and can be expected to be useless here as well. Pool room owners would be better served to organize and come up with their own best practices before gov’t has a chance to impose draconian measures without their input.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
For what its worth. I will be going very few places where there are people walking around without masks.

Last week Costco adopted a policy of no one in without one and all employees will have one on.

I will go there in a few weeks to get supplies. I order everyday groceries online for car pickup.

In my county the numbers went from 11 to 91 in a week and a half. I see no reason to take chances on my health.

I am so sad for people that have businesses that rely on public participation. My
wifes business will tread water with online service. We'll pay the bills but as this thing
goes on not sure where its going to end up. She may have to make other
arrangements finding new ways to serve her clients. Good luck to you.

The last month I’ve been heavily involved in getting a retail business open safely. I hope safely anyway.

There are a lot of interconnected pieces and absolutely no guidance from any government or health organizations except: wash hands, wear masks, stay 6’ apart.

The public approves of safety measures until they can’t get the item they want. Or we won’t wait on them hand and foot because 2/3 of our staff won’t work right now.

I think there are ways to open pool rooms safely but ultimately it will be up to the industry to figure it out. Government is useless at anything business related and can be expected to be useless here as well. Pool room owners would be better served to organize and come up with their own best practices before gov’t has a chance to impose draconian measures without their input.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
No, really. I have friends and family in FL, and I don’t want to go to your place because you sound like a jerk. So if you just tell me which place is yours, I won’t have to bother your establishment. It a win win!

Pockets in Tucson AZ. Please keep your whiny butt out of there, thanks.

RoadRash57

Registered
FWIW, Simonis published some guidance on their Facebook page:

SAFETY PLAY
Pool halls are opening up in the United States.
Keep things clean and use basic precautions:
- Wash your hands
- Don't touch your face.
- Keep your distance. 1 person at the table at a time.
- Balls can be wiped with +65% or higher alcohol and then re-polished.
- Hard surfaces can be wiped with +65% or higher alcohol.
While we cannot guarantee that the following procedure will render the cloth completely free of contamination, we can be certain that it will help:
- Using a spray bottle that can produce a fine mist, use 65% or higher alcohol (I have some 90%), mist this over the table so it lightly covers the cloth, not wet! Let it flash off (evaporate).
- Be certain that the cloth is not wet before you resume play. Wet cloth will develop holes quickly because of hydrostatic pressure breaking the threads.
It should only take a couple of minutes for the alcohol to evaporate. The higher the percentage of alcohol, the faster it will evaporate.
- Keep some wipes near the table if you have to share touching the cue ball. Wipe it off between players.
Be safe!!

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
<vent>
..after loosing both matches last night,
up 15 going into the last frame to loose by 3 and on the hill in 8ball,
I'm a bit of a foul mood this morning.

I'd just put a sign on the door "Enter At Your Own Risk"
and a message to the "I want my refund crowd"
If your sick and you enter my place and I find out, I'm suing you...

Room owners... I don't see how you can advertise, other than warnings are in place.

</vent>

I'm better now, go for it...

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, Simonis published some guidance on their Facebook page:
So it sounds like when 2 or more players are playing on the same table, one of the players should be designated to handle all of the ball touching throughout the session. That includes gathering the balls from all the pockets and racking every rack. This could even include the cue ball, which would require the designated ball handler to retrieve the cue ball and roll it / place it on the table for the player that will be shooting, who will then roll the cue ball in to its desired place with the shaft of their stick rather than handling it. Does anyone honestly think that this practice will be adhered to in poolrooms by most pool players? I highly doubt it.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
So it sounds like when 2 or more players are playing on the same table, one of the players should be designated to handle all of the ball touching throughout the session. That includes gathering the balls from all the pockets and racking every rack. This could even include the cue ball, which would require the designated ball handler to retrieve the cue ball and roll it / place it on the table for the player that will be shooting, who will then roll the cue ball in to its desired place with the shaft of their stick rather than handling it. Does anyone honestly think that this practice will be adhered to in poolrooms by most pool players? I highly doubt it.

Likely not but the biggest issue in my opinion is breathing on the cloth. If
the tables are sprayed with a sanitizer that doesn't produce stickyness like water and
quaternary ammonia or similar non bleaching non stickly chemical I would hope that
would take care of it. When I was using quat in food service it was 200 ppm to water
and we had test strips. Quat is not ammonia from the bottle but ammonia from the
bottle will work as long as you get the 200 ppm. This is hard information to find but
your local health inspector and the directions on the bottle of quaternary ammonia
(non smelly ammonia) should tell you. It should be available through most food wholesalers.

We used chlorine bleach and water for sanitizer at 2 drops to a spray bottle. It takes 1 tablespoon of bleach
per 16 oz water to kill coronavirus. You cant smell it in the water, very weak but its 2400 ppm. Im not sure if the
chlorine bleach would start to bleach the cloth after a few months or not but it would kill some virus.

Last edited:

RoadRash57

Registered
the biggest issue in my opinion is breathing on the cloth.

100% correct.

Frankly it's a rather simple thing to deal with the non-porous surfaces. A hassle maybe, but simple. It's the cloth that's a challenge, especially if players aren't wearing masks.