Great cover on Billiards Digest this month

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The future of pool looks bright with all this young talent.

1A8AE3A7-E2DE-4803-9E3E-F80961E0E433.jpeg

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Needs more Dodong Diamond! The smooth and viciously talented James Aranas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha not gonna drop names but a player on that cover recently took a beating by a local shortstop on a barbox. I saw it with my own eyes. Weird seeing him on a cover. This happened at an iconic pool dive bar. About 80 regulars watching and screaming. Place went wild when the pro lost. Doesnt mean anything though, everybody loses.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Ha not gonna drop names but a player on that cover recently took a beating by a local shortstop on a barbox. I saw it with my own eyes. Weird seeing him on a cover. This happened at an iconic pool dive bar. About 80 regulars watching and screaming. Place went wild when the pro lost. Doesnt mean anything though, everybody loses.

Well, it's a barbox.
Efren and Bustamante would not play King Kong on a barbox in the 90's.
But, Efren gave him the 6-out on the Gold Crown.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And it was on a bar box

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I agree. Great cover!

There is far too little written about the rising stars of the game in billiard publications.

Predicting big things of this group, though, is just a bit silly in some cases. Filler is the WPA #1 ranked player in the world and reigning World 9-ball Champion. Gorst is the reigning European 9-ball champion, and has cashed in consecutive Bigfoot 10-ball events. Kaci won two stops on Darren Appleton's World Pool Series, the bronze at the China Open and also won a straight pool title by beating Thorsten Hohmann in the final. Little Ko is the reigning World 10-ball champion and also won the silver at the International 9-ball. Billy Thorpe has won at Turning Stone, and has won both the banks and the one pocket at Derby City. Styer won the Kremlin Cup, Robinson won a Mezz West Tour title, and Dudanets is a European player with whom I'm barely familiar. Styer, Robinson, and Dudanets are all impressive young players just coming into their own, and I know we'll all enjoy seeing how high they can go in the premier events.

Well done, Billiards Digest, and good luck to all of these fine young players.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pros have bad days just like we do. Their bad days are not "as bad" or "as often" but, they have them all the same and when they do, they are subject to lose when playing even weak shortstops.

Jeff

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have a lot of hope for Billy Thorpe.
I feel his game is rough....needs more finesse.
...and he already has some impressive results....
...by the age of 30...he just might be the new Shane

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Short races shortstop broke and ran. Pro missed only 1 shot and got hooked once that’s all it took. He didnt seem to care. The shortstop was playing for his life and never missed once I don’t think.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Did the 80+ people in the room all agree to keep this a secret ?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I have a lot of hope for Billy Thorpe.
I feel his game is rough....needs more finesse.
...and he already has some impressive results....
...by the age of 30...he just might be the new Shane

Not saying you're wrong, but when you bring into question the finesse skills of one of the superstars of one pocket who won the 2017 Derby City Classic 1-pocket by beating Alex Pagulayan in the finals, it's a least a bit surprising. I would have thought that his finesse was a strength.

Could you be more specific about which skills you think are missing and what do you think he must he do to develop them?

Agreed he's already had some good results, but to my eye he hasn't improved much in rotation games over the past couple of years, and I'm hard pressed to see him mass producing major nine and ten ball titles.

Of course, Billy's still very young, so you never know.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
but barboxes are soooo easy!

Well, it's a barbox.
Efren and Bustamante would not play King Kong on a barbox in the 90's.
But, Efren gave him the 6-out on the Gold Crown.

Always strikes me as funny how easy all the nine foot players say a barbox is, until they tangle with a barbox master! Not claiming to be a master but I spent a lot of time on barboxes, that is where the money usually was. I played all comers on a barbox, even. What I would have really liked to get the road players on was the old snooker table I put in two or three hours a day on.:wink:

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Not saying you're wrong, but when you bring into question the finesse skills of one of the superstars of one pocket who won the 2017 Derby City Classic 1-pocket by beating Alex Pagulayan in the finals, it's a least a bit surprising. I would have thought that his finesse was a strength.

Could you be more specific about which skills you think are missing and what do you think he must he do to develop them?

Agreed he's already had some good results, but to my eye he hasn't improved much in rotation games over the past couple of years, and I'm hard pressed to see him mass producing major nine and ten ball titles.

Of course, Billy's still very young, so you never know.

Just a feeling so it’s hard to defend.
I see Billy forcing the issues..he hasn’t made friends with his game....
..I call it the calmness of a master.
I’ve only seen him a couple times...he has a beautiful attitude with everybody...
...when he gets this ‘calmness’....watch out..this kid is going places.