Can you play decent pool using both your right and left hands?

I was just thinking about John Morra, and wondered how he was able to switch playing hands (due to some sort of injury), and get back to a pretty high level, playing left handed .

I just think it is amazing what he was able to do, but I wonder if maybe he learned to play both left a right handed from an early age, but chose to just play right handed , because that was where he got most of his power from.

I know, I could probably write him on Facebook, and ask him this question myself, but I am just too shy to write him, lol.

Always been a big fan of John Morra . He is such a great players . Always loved the way he walked around the pool table, and his slow and controled way of playing .

Anyways, if you were to get injured in same way where you had to switch playing hands, in order to keep playing pool, do you think you could get to a fairly good level of playing , with time and practice ?

I knew this high school kid back in the Ninetees , and he was a pretty good player , and could play equally as good with either hand, it seemed.

That type of thing always really impressed me.

Maybe it is just laziness , but I do not think I could ever be able to play decent at all left handed.

I assume it is something that would take years of practice , and a lot of hard work, for hours a day practicing .

Do you think that John Morra was really able to get that good within a years time, during the time when he was not competing ?

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm about the same with either hand on most shots, but bridging over balls, and the break shot, are much better shooting right handed.

Edit: I actively had to teach myself to shoot lefty, it wasn't a proficiency out of the gate. I'm at the point now where I'll switch several times in a rack. If I'm on the right side of the table I'll shoot left, and vice versa.

Last edited:

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kinda but its too hard to aim opposite eye. I am cross dominant. But if u practice the first five or ten minutes weak handed everytime you play you can get fairly comfortable

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I forced myself to play righty while we were in early lockdown, just to see if I could get anywhere consistent, it lasted MAYBE 10 racks. Drove me nuts.

I'm shootin for 20 racks now, and it's extremely hard to get the pre-shot down with any consistency. I started using a mirror for my initial set-up, which seems to help.

I will keep at it, but it's a lot harder that I ever thought. I even went as far as to draw a straight line on the floor, for aligning correctly, which for me, is the biggest hurdle.

Power shots, and the break are just brutal.:(

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ambiwhat?

I would bet I stink it up with either hand,one more than the other.:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Yes. But I train extensively in other activities off-hand.

What is nice about pool is the fundamentals and the equipment is equal both ways.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm about the same with either hand on most shots, but bridging over balls, and the break shot, are much better shooting right handed.

Edit: I actively had to teach myself to shoot lefty, it wasn't a proficiency out of the gate. I'm at the point now where I'll switch several times in a rack. If I'm on the right side of the table I'll shoot left, and vice versa.

This is about where I am. It took quite a bit of time. But I'm pretty proficient.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I am terrible on the left side, which really shouldn't be because I shoot basketball left handed and throw left handed and was a switch hitter back in my baseball days. I keep telling myself to work on the LH shooting, but it's not very fun so I have been avoiding it. It's really a deal breaker for me at this point unless I start playing on the small bar boxes, which I have never really cared for. No more excuses though, I'm going to start training myself to do it. Thanks for the nudge.

preacherman

CPPA Founder
Silver Member
Playing right or left handed.

I can play left or right handed. Interestingly when I started playing pool in 201 I automatically felt natural playing right-handed, even though I am left handed dominant on EVERYTHING else. Initially, it didn't cross my mind and nobody said anything as I guess they assumed I was right handed. Since then I do take some shot's left handed and it is quite comfortable and fairly effective. It comes in handy for sure to be able to hit many shots with right or left hand. I can not break or jump left handed though.

Last edited:

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you can become proficient. You already have the knowledge and don't have bad habits to unlearn so you're halfway there. You just need to work on the stroke. I do shoot a few simple shots left handed but haven't practiced that way.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both the best men’s and women’s billiard players in the world shoot left and right. Ronnie O’Sullivan and Rheanne Evans. Current or former World Snooker champions.

It gives that ‘touch’ of advantage. Ronnie often breaks and then plays according to his opposition. Get the game ‘loaded’ to one side or the other. Ronnie will often break using his left when playing John Higgins but right against Mark Selby.

It’s not coincidence that although only 10% of the population are lefties but that 3 of the top 4 top ranked Snooker players, play left including Current champ, Judd Trump.

I’ve always Just played left and right. Never thought about it. I’m a natural lefty but billiards is an activity I can’t tell any difference. It’s just switching hands...the physics are all the same.

The only thing I can’t do both hands is throw a baseball, rock, or football. Don’t know why. I can shoot basketballs either..,or throw a frisbee. I play hockey and hit a baseball both ways. Billiards just seems a natural sport to shoot either way.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No need to be a switch hitter. My cue is 76" with butt extension.

Plus, if you play on 10' tables, it doesn't matter what hand you use...your using a bridge or a llooonnnngg cue unless you play PERFECT position every single shot.

Having said that, if you play on a BB or even a 9' table you can get away with being a switch hitter and not needing a bridge or really long cue.

Jeff