Has this ever happened with any of your playing cues??

Onepocketking1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a sneaky pete which is my current shooter. The butt and shaft roll perfect on the table when they are apart. I screw the shaft on the butt, roll her on the table and she wobbles. What could be causing this. The cue shoots great but just curious as to why this happens.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
The 'faces' at the joint are not parallel to one another.
Have the cue 'faced' by a competent CM and all will be right with the world.
He may have to take off only a .001".

HTHs, KJ

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

HTHs, KJ

Could it also be a slightly bent pin?

I'm just wondering myself, becauese a couple of my cues have this same issue.

Onepocketking1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

HTHs, KJ

The cue was made by a competent CM. I put another shaft on the butt and it rolled beautifully. So the shaft needs to be faced? How much would that cost?

RioSevario

Rivers
Silver Member
It normally doesn't take much work so it in turn shouldn't cost much. Maybe 20-50?? Depends on who you use I would imagine. It could also be dirt or chalk build up on the facing.

TripXQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wobble

Filthy dirt and finger grease/oil buildup on the threads of the shaft or pin can add to the problem. I've seen instances when just cleaning the threads with an alcohol swabbing of the joint faces did the trick. One can always turn the joint faces if this doesn't help as others have said.
Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues:thumbup:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Rolling a cue, whether apart or not, on the tables surface can sometimes give a false reading. Especially if the surface is dirty.
Better to put one end on the table surface, and the other end on the rail and roll it back and forth. If you have sharp eyes you may spot a bent pin, or a warp.
Also, visually inspect both faces at the joint, looking for burrs and such. :smile:

P.S. When in doubt, take it to your friendly neighborhood cue repair person for evaluation. KJ's place is a good one to go to.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
If this is a new phenomena with that cue, check faces for debris or recent damage.

A bent pin has to be really bent to make the union wobble, the faces are responsible for the vast majority of the alignment.

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes just cleaning the surfaces of the butt and shaft that make contact when assembled can make the difference.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Similar issue recently. Someone here in the "ask a cuemaker" forum suggested that if the shaft and butt roll straight spereately, put the cue together as per normal then crack the joint a 1/4 turn. If it rolls when the joint is not tightened down without any flop the butt joint probably needs to be faced off slightly. A local cuemaker did this for me and it fixed the problem, the charge was minimal and the cue has been dead straight ever since.