schmelke cue

coltstudd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi forum looking to get a sneaky pete cue from schmelke , is the default cue good or should i upgrade ,just looking for a bar cue.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
hi forum looking to get a sneaky pete cue from schmelke , is the default cue good or should i upgrade ,just looking for a bar cue.

Schmelke's sneaky will play great. I personally do not like the inlaid diamond in the points. I will be ordering a slight upgrade soon myself. I really like how their 3/8 x 10 plays.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The cues are fine...you will enjoy it. May I suggest getting any tip except the one that comes with it.

NathanDetroit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They have an option to get their "select grade" wood for shaft. Have that on an old Joss, and plays nice

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmelkes are great. Im having another one built right now.

If you order from their website, and you have a good idea about your preferences in tip diameter, cue length, weight etc, you can get damn near whatever you want.

Theres nothing wrong with just a plain jane sneaky pete.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have an option to get their "select grade" wood for shaft. Have that on an old Joss, and plays nice

I would second this recommendation.

I don't know what their regular grade wood is like, but I had them make me a shaft with their "very best" grade and it is one of the best shafts I have. I got the short XTC ferrule. Everybody has their own "taste" in tips, but I had them install my "standard" Ultra-skin black soft tip on it and it plays fantastic (to me).

I don't know if they put their logo on the butts of their Sneaky Pete's, but, if they do, I'd tell them to leave it off. It looks kind of cheap and I wouldn't want a logo on a Sneaky Pete to begin with, unless if was made by a HOF maker.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Call and speak to David. They are fantastic people. I have ordered several directly from David, for some friends of mine. I usually get the Rosewood sneaky with either the 5/16-18 flat faced joint, or the 3/8-10. I believe their standard joint diameter is now closer to .840, and their extended pro-taper is very nice. Make sure you ask for the Tomahawk ferrule, as they do have it available. For the $, the cues play very nicely.
Regards.
Joe P

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...I don't know if they put their logo on the butts of their Sneaky Pete's, but, if they do, I'd tell them to leave it off. It looks kind of cheap and I wouldn't want a logo on a Sneaky Pete to begin with, unless if was made by a HOF maker.

Doesnt stick out much, and not noticeable unless its under the light and youre looking for it.

48491889111_96bdb33112_b.jpg

33751134654_176f6ba03e_c.jpg

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesnt stick out much, and not noticeable unless its under the light and youre looking for it.

48491889111_96bdb33112_b.jpg

33751134654_176f6ba03e_c.jpg

Nice looking cues.

The one I had them build for me was a full-splice 4-point purple heart butt going into an ebony forearm and I had them put a leather wrap on it. It was sharp. I called it the "Midnight Rider". I had them put a black collar on it and a short black butt cap, with no logo.

Here is a thread I posted when I was having it built, along with pictures.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=447538

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice looking cues.

The one I had them build for me was a full-splice 4-point purple heart butt going into an ebony forearm and I had them put a leather wrap on it. It was sharp. I called it the "Midnight Rider". I had them put a black collar on it and a short black butt cap, with no logo.

Here is a thread I posted when I was having it built, along with pictures.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=447538

The one Im having them build is pretty close to that. I was looking at purpleheart and ebony cues, and yours was one of the ones I saw. Mine has no wrap, and the size specs are my own. The original plan had a Hoppe ring, but after seeing yours I decided to go with a plain black buttcap.

48604919776_545a3dca15_z.jpg

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one Im having them build is pretty close to that. I was looking at purpleheart and ebony cues, and yours was one of the ones I saw. Mine has no wrap, and the size specs are my own. The original plan had a Hoppe ring, but after seeing yours I decided to go with a plain black buttcap.

48604919776_545a3dca15_z.jpg

I'm sure you will like it.

I think it will look a lot "sleeker" without the Hoppe ring. I was thinking of putting one on mine at the beginning, but I decided that it would detract from the dark look I had intended for the rest of the cue.

The reason I had mine built was to match a shaft I already had that had a "thin" diameter joint. I was matching a butt to the shaft, instead of matching a shaft to the butt. I had them make the additional shaft with one of their "premium" blanks and I told David that I wanted the best of the bunch they could find. That shaft is perfect.

I had the shaft made so that it would fit this cue as an "extra" shaft, so that I could leave the original shaft in the "original" condition, with the "original" tip and still play with the cue butt. I got this cue from CJ Wiley. It is the cue that he used to win the 1996 Million Dollar Challenge Tournament. The one where Earl Strickland won the Million Dollars for running 11 racks of 9-ball in a row.

Attachments

• CJ Wiley McDermott.jpg
    CJ Wiley McDermott.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I added black joint collars and a black butt cap to mine. Also upgraded to a Tomahawk ferrule. Would also opt for the extended pro taper also. their standard taper starts growing pretty quick. Fine if you like a pretty stiff hit.

Last edited:

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Schmelke wood to wood joint sneaky pete plays as good as any cue out there.
Go simple.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim...Except the part about Earl winning a million dollars. He never got it. CJ settled out of court for $650K. Earl got $300K, CJ got his $50K back that he paid CJ on the day it happened, and the lawyers got the rest. Still...winning $300K in one day is probably the highest earnings for a day for a poolplayer.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I'm sure you will like it. I got this cue from CJ Wiley. It is the cue that he used to win the 1996 Million Dollar Challenge Tournament. The one where Earl Strickland won the Million Dollars for running 11 racks of 9-ball in a row.

I would second this recommendation.

I don't know what their regular grade wood is like, but I had them make me a shaft with their "very best" grade and it is one of the best shafts I have. I got the short XTC ferrule. Everybody has their own "taste" in tips, but I had them install my "standard" Ultra-skin black soft tip on it and it plays fantastic (to me).

I don't know if they put their logo on the butts of their Sneaky Pete's, but, if they do, I'd tell them to leave it off. It looks kind of cheap and I wouldn't want a logo on a Sneaky Pete to begin with, unless if was made by a HOF maker.
I hate to "burst your bubble", but the Schmelke's ARE in the Hall of Fame. The current Schmelke running the show is David Schmelke. He is a very knowledgable and pleasant guy. I don't know if he is still titled as "General Manager" or has since "graduated" to President.

So, you can go ahead and let 'em put Schmelke on the butt of your sneaky pete and "Hold Your Head High" ...

[BTW, how is your "snobby" Beemer running these days?]

I hate to "burst your bubble", but the Schmelke's ARE in the Hall of Fame. The current Schmelke running the show is David Schmelke. He is a very knowledgable and pleasant guy. I don't know if he is still titled as "General Manager" or has since "graduated" to President.

So, you can go ahead and let 'em put Schmelke on the butt of your sneaky pete and "Hold Your Head High" ...

[BTW, how is your "snobby" Beemer running these days?]

FYI, another Hall of Famer who made "killer" sneaky petes was Paul Huebler. I bought one from him [personally] in 1984 and still have it today. It is in mint shape, despite using it frequently/occasionally over the past 38 years. I use it less frequently now that many Valley bar tables have retired and replaced with Diamond tables with "lightening" fast cloth and "lively" rails.

Why ... It is a 20.5 oz. cue and I bought it when most of the Valley tables had the Fat [ie., HEAVY not "Phat"] cue balls and it is not weight adjustable. When I go to the beach and play in super dive bars with fuzzy [and damp] cloth I'll take my Sneaky Paul with me.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both my Schmelke sp shafts warped in a lil over a year. I'd buy a Players or a J&J before i bought another one.