Is a soft/safe break allowed in short rack Banks?

Onepocketking1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bank players please give me your thoughts on this. I'm used to breaking the rack like nineball. I recently played a guy and he used a onepocket type break.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Legal Break: A legal break requires you to strike the head ball first and drive at least one object ball past the side pockets. If your break is illegal, the opponent may either accept the table in position or require you to break again.

That's how it is in Derby so I'd have to say that would be the only way I'd be willing to gamble.....

I don't think I would ever soft break them anyway as I like my chances for 5 and outs if I am breaking good.. It's the 9ball rack so you are a favorite for making a ball on the break if you have worked on it......

Chris

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Not a banker but... you have to be over 50% making a ball with that rack, I dunno why you'd give up that 'bird in hand'. If the other guy runs 5'n'out so easily you're scared to break the balls open, you probably should just switch to full rack or another game entirely.

Onepocketking1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Legal Break: A legal break requires you to strike the head ball first and drive at least one object ball past the side pockets. If your break is illegal, the opponent may either accept the table in position or require you to break again.

That's how it is in Derby so I'd have to say that would be the only way I'd be willing to gamble.....

I don't think I would ever soft break them anyway as I like my chances for 5 and outs if I am breaking good.. It's the 9ball rack so you are a favorite for making a ball on the break if you have worked on it......

Chris

Thats what I thought. Thanks

Not a banker but... you have to be over 50% making a ball with that rack, I dunno why you'd give up that 'bird in hand'. If the other guy runs 5'n'out so easily you're scared to break the balls open, you probably should just switch to full rack or another game entirely.

You're 100% correct. Thanks

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played banks for 40+ years. In the 60's and 70's , only the great players ( taylor, bugs, , etc ) could lay down 5n outs very often. Unless you're on buckets, its hard to run banks and play position. And at derby, the tables are so hard to make banks, most really good players dont try to run out. Take a look at the bank vids from derby, nobody's running out very often. So, break'em wide open, if your opponent is laying down 5n outs, he's a world champ!....and there arnt many of them floating around pool rooms.