Rubber Feather Strips

SlateMate

Banned
i never used rubber feather strips but it seems like a reasonable upgrade from wood. i would have gone with rubber because that's what came with my table BUT i'm missing one strip so i have to buy more anyway. should i get wood or go with rubber?

oh, btw: the previous owner put on Chinese, Uylin rubber and i tested it by pressing the rails on the slate and bouncing a ball off them. i'm very impressed at how lively are they. i'll have this table together soon and will be able to do some real-play tests. it's possible that there is no need to pay a lot of money for cushions. time will tell...

thanks!

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
i never used rubber feather strips but it seems like a reasonable upgrade from wood.

If rubber featherstrips are an 'Upgrade' from wood, you have identified another antiquated technology that I give preference to.

In my opinion, rubber featherstrips are not user friendly, and they make it difficult to maintain a clean line at the top. If you stretch them too much, they won't stay tight. If you cut them too short, you can't compress them enough to stay tight.

bradsh98

Silver Member
Are the feather strips on all tables the same???

Nope.

1/4" x 1/4", and 1/4" x 5/16" are the most common.. But, there are some oddballs out there. Even with standard dimensions, many tables still require custom fitting of the featherstrips, by means of sanding or shimming.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Nope.

1/4" x 1/4", and 1/4" x 5/16" are the most common.. But, there are some oddballs out there. Even with standard dimensions, many tables still require custom fitting of the featherstrips, by means of sanding or shimming.

Run a card along one side of the featherstrip. Masking tape on the sides of the featherstrip where it's wide will work for
shimming. Tape across the bottom and up both sides of the strip (EDIT) keeps it from moving when installing the cloth. FWIW

(EDIT) after you tape the sides,

Last edited:

bradsh98

Silver Member
Run a card along one side of the featherstrip. Masking tape on the sides of the featherstrip where it's wide will work for
shimming. Tape across the bottom and up both sides of the strip, keeps it from moving when installing the cloth. FWIW

I only tape the sides of featherstrips, never the top or bottom. Having additional thickness on the height can sometimes prevent you from getting the featherstrip/cloth flush with the rail cap.

Sometimes, I spray some 3M 77 on the featherstrips, to ensure that the cloth never pulls out. I have a friend who uses Elmer's glue sticks, for the same purpose.

SlateMate

Banned
I only tape the sides of featherstrips, never the top or bottom. Having additional thickness on the height can sometimes prevent you from getting the featherstrip/cloth flush with the rail cap.

Sometimes, I spray some 3M 77 on the featherstrips, to ensure that the cloth never pulls out. I have a friend who uses Elmer's glue sticks, for the same purpose.

these are good tips. still waiting on my strips. so i'm working on my old motorcycles but it's going to put me in an early grave. too many projects....

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
shimming. Tape across the bottom and up both sides of the strip (EDIT) keeps it from moving when installing the cloth. FWIW

(EDIT) after you tape the sides,

( Quote: "I only tape the sides of featherstrips, never the top or bottom. Having additional thickness
on the height can sometimes prevent you from getting the featherstrip/cloth flush with the rail cap.")
-----------

I wouldn't think most folks would wrap the masking tape around an entire featherstrip.
Edited: after you tape the sides... The thickness of masking tape is .008, or 2 hairs.

Last edited:

SlateMate

Banned
Masking tape on the sides of the featherstrip where it's wide will work for
shimming.

i'm watching a video where the guy just puts some staples in the strip to widen it slightly for a snug fit. i thought that was a cool idea.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I measure the featherstrip dado with a micrometer, then run my blanks through my thickness planer and make them to the exact size needed.

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I measure the featherstrip dado with a micrometer, then run my blanks through my thickness planer and make them to the exact size needed.

Glen

How much play do you leave for the cloth between the strip and the dado ?

Thanks

Martin

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For Simonis, 1/32" less than the width of the dado.

Thanks Glen

Is I’m wrong saying that you leave roughly 1 thickness of cloth of clearance ? I’m asking because I’m not sure yet which cloth I will use on my project.

Martin