Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
4cc5ed3a5b9bad26217e1b2d36a39800.jpg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
the guy on the front jack ...

I always admire the stones of the guy on the front jack!

I have went over the wall with a jack, a tire and four way, two tires and a four way. Used air or nitrogen too but some associations didn't allow air to keep costs down. A bottle of nitrogen with 2000-3000 psi in the can and the regulator cranked down would make an air tool scream! Often had spare lug nuts but when you ran out of them the nuts on the right side in particular would take the hide off of your fingers.

One of my prouder accomplishments, a team effort of course, happened at the Pepsi 200 or 300, ran on a high banked half mile track at Jackson MS. We lost eight laps early to a mechanical problem and finished five laps down. There were pit crews there from Richard Petty's team, Pete Hamilton's, a few more of the big boys, not the Wood brothers fortunately. We gained back one lap on the track and two in the pits!

Two day race and we were up till four AM working on the car Saturday night. I was putting one foot on either side of the inside pit wall and laying back catching a nap on Sunday while the race was running. "Wake me in thirty-five laps or when there is a yellow flag" and I would pass out. Wake up, throw tires on the car and back to sleep again. I handled the gas can sometimes but we had a big ol' boy that was good with it so mostly he had that job. They had outlawed pressurizing the fuel cans after some deadly fires. Working in the pits was a lot more dangerous than driving. No speed limits on pit road and cars going by inches behind you at literally eighty miles an hour sometimes.

Lose your balance at the wrong time, something easy to do squatting down with those big tires, and you would be hit or ran over. Funny to see a guy with duct tape wrapped around his butt top to bottom. It was a quickie bandage to control the bleeding after getting nicked on pit road but it looked like he had to tape his ass back on!:D:D

Watching the jack swinging airborne brought back memories too. Back then the jack was steel but did pump up faster than a garage jack. It went in from the side and raised one side or the other. Marks on the jack and car to locate where it went blind. When the car hit the ground the driver was on the hammer so the jack was pulled back and sideways in the air with all of my upper body weight.

Started doing that when I was fifteen, kinda wondered if I was supposed to. One year I had seven or eight licenses, NASCAR, MASCAR, STARS, ALSTARS, CARS, a few more including one or two that were only good at one track. I'd go to the pit gate and tell the person there just pick out one they liked!

Fun as a pit crew member, more fun as a driver. Kinda like my days of shooting pool well, I miss it all!

Oh yeah, three men to the tire. One for the big single nut in the center, one to grab the screaming hot old tire off, one to throw the new tire on, probably with a nut loosely glued to the rim so that it goes on the same time as the tire and rim. We used to do the same with the five nut or more rims, special long studs that aren't threaded all the way to the end so the nuts align straight because when you start them with air under over 200PSI pressure there is only one try!

Hu

BankT8Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Attachments

• Blue Rhino.jpg
    Blue Rhino.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 1,000

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always admire the stones of the guy on the front jack!

I have went over the wall with a jack, a tire and four way, two tires and a four way. Used air or nitrogen too but some associations didn't allow air to keep costs down. A bottle of nitrogen with 2000-3000 psi in the can and the regulator cranked down would make an air tool scream! Often had spare lug nuts but when you ran out of them the nuts on the right side in particular would take the hide off of your fingers.

One of my prouder accomplishments, a team effort of course, happened at the Pepsi 200 or 300, ran on a high banked half mile track at Jackson MS. We lost eight laps early to a mechanical problem and finished five laps down. There were pit crews there from Richard Petty's team, Pete Hamilton's, a few more of the big boys, not the Wood brothers fortunately. We gained back one lap on the track and two in the pits!

Two day race and we were up till four AM working on the car Saturday night. I was putting one foot on either side of the inside pit wall and laying back catching a nap on Sunday while the race was running. "Wake me in thirty-five laps or when there is a yellow flag" and I would pass out. Wake up, throw tires on the car and back to sleep again. I handled the gas can sometimes but we had a big ol' boy that was good with it so mostly he had that job. They had outlawed pressurizing the fuel cans after some deadly fires. Working in the pits was a lot more dangerous than driving. No speed limits on pit road and cars going by inches behind you at literally eighty miles an hour sometimes.

Lose your balance at the wrong time, something easy to do squatting down with those big tires, and you would be hit or ran over. Funny to see a guy with duct tape wrapped around his butt top to bottom. It was a quickie bandage to control the bleeding after getting nicked on pit road but it looked like he had to tape his ass back on!:D:D

Watching the jack swinging airborne brought back memories too. Back then the jack was steel but did pump up faster than a garage jack. It went in from the side and raised one side or the other. Marks on the jack and car to locate where it went blind. When the car hit the ground the driver was on the hammer so the jack was pulled back and sideways in the air with all of my upper body weight.

Started doing that when I was fifteen, kinda wondered if I was supposed to. One year I had seven or eight licenses, NASCAR, MASCAR, STARS, ALSTARS, CARS, a few more including one or two that were only good at one track. I'd go to the pit gate and tell the person there just pick out one they liked!

Fun as a pit crew member, more fun as a driver. Kinda like my days of shooting pool well, I miss it all!

Oh yeah, three men to the tire. One for the big single nut in the center, one to grab the screaming hot old tire off, one to throw the new tire on, probably with a nut loosely glued to the rim so that it goes on the same time as the tire and rim. We used to do the same with the five nut or more rims, special long studs that aren't threaded all the way to the end so the nuts align straight because when you start them with air under over 200PSI pressure there is only one try!

Hu

Right on, for real!

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That principle would say that a pyramid would have volume = height*base_area/2 but it's actually height*base_area/3.

There is a general formula that works for lots of solids which is
Volume = (area_top + 4 * area_middle + area_bottom)*height/6
This gives the correct volume for a cylinder, a cone and a sphere.

I've got no idea whether that works for the skudoid.

But since the scutoid completely fills the layer between the top and bottom planes when tessellated, it’s cross sectional area at the middle would be the average of the areas of the top and the bottom faces which would make your equation simplify into mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
But since the scutoid completely fills the layer between the top and bottom planes when tessellated, it’s cross sectional area at the middle would be the average of the areas of the top and the bottom faces which would make your equation simplify into mine.
The scudoid to me looks like it has a "knee" or "bump" in the middle and is "fatter" there.

BankT8Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Attachments

• Jon Boat.jpg
    Jon Boat.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 906