Does pool destroy your body?

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many times we've seen this ad: "selling cue xyz because going in for a neck and back surgery Thursday". Sounds scary.

I'm still sort of young. How are the old pros doing? I don't mean Efren, I mean the generation before him.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
ummm...

How many times we've seen this ad: "selling cue xyz because going in for a neck and back surgery Thursday". Sounds scary.

I'm still sort of young. How are the old pros doing? I don't mean Efren, I mean the generation before him.

Not just pool players, the entire generation of people before efren are probably having surgeries of one kind or another...

It's called getting old.

Jaden

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool will play with your mind long before it affects your anatomy.
People with poor posture to start with likely exacerbate it with pool.
Just do some exercise and stretching everyday & before playing pool.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
pool players tend to not take care of themselves. so when they get older they die or have serious health problems at a much younger age than others.
its not pool its the chose of those individuals.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
whenever I play left handed my whole body feels tight and awkward, unless I’ve been actively playing left handed a lot lately. Doing anything with only one side of your body is never good because it lopsides you.

I can only imagine all the bending and stuff is tough on the body unless you’re very careful. When I play really long sessions I put all my focus on my play cuz I’m in it but after I’m done my bridge hand shoulder is wrecked because without thinking at some point I start putting all my weight on the joint while I’m down on the shot.

I’ve been plotting on yoga lately. I think it will help with a solid stance from what I’ve seen of it. And probably help with long term body health.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think everything destroys your body.....we’re mortal.
But I think a pool player is better off than a couch potato

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The cigarette smoke has killed/harmed way more people than the game itself ever could.

Playing actually makes my back feel better.
Jason

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think everything destroys your body.....we’re mortal.
But I think a pool player is better off than a couch potato

100%

personally, I've had back and neck problems before I got heavy on pool
it sounds funny, but playing pool has helped me focus on keeping those areas fit,
and so I do physical therapy every day at home to do that
now I'm not in perfect shape
but it feels good to know that a game I love
is helping to keep my mind, and body healthy
we're living to die
enjoy your life!

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had some serious issues from playing pool that I just let heal over time.

One was sharp pain in my shoulder of my stroke arm, It would hurt so bad but I'd have to keep playing anyway. Seems to have went away however.

Also after long sessions in tournament or gambling I feel like my whole body got broke down. Pool is a brutal game..

Another one is from power breaking, will literally throw out my hip! :thumbup:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Efren is old. The generation before him is even older. How do you think they’re doing? They’re old. And quite sure they have all kinds of health issues associated with people in their 80s.

Freddie <~~~ getting old

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your body aches at a certain place after playing pool, then that tells you you're not aligned properly when you shoot. That's what I found out anyway about my own game. Eversince I learned how to align correctly, I can easily play 6 hours every day for weeks without any physical discomfort.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any repetitive activity can lead to overuse injuries which can become chronic.

Pool is an activity where there is a lot of asymmetrical alignment and body movements.

The best way to mitigate any adverse reactions to these stresses is a conditioning routine that strengthens the core and ensures that the muscles that pool does not stress are being conditioned on par with muscles stressed while playing pool.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calories burned..

I read that in a man, 5-9 inches tall weighing 180 pounds, playing pool for 2-3 hours will burn up 653 calories.
That sounds like a nice benefit.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samuel Clemens, 1906

"The game of billiards has destroyed my naturally sweet disposition."

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Currently dealing with something that I assume is Tennis Elbow on my back arm. Never had that before so I have no clue if that's what it is. Bit painful from time to time and slowly getting worse, but hasnt hindered my playing ability... or lack there of... yet.