14.1 high runs... be honest

sgengaro86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When people practice and try to run balls, do most set up break shot after a miss or just start counting again?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When people practice and try to run balls, do most set up break shot after a miss or just start counting again?

People do it both ways. I prefer to rerack and try again. I think the runs are more comparable to each other that way. I also like to break the first rack with a normal or even slightly unfavorable break shot, rather than use the side pocket break the pro's use when trying for a high run, like at DCC. That way I'm not getting a free ride on the first rack with all the balls spread out. Doing this also gives you more break shot practice.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading some of these replies makes me feel good knowing my 19 ball run is normal.

Thanks, AZB crew!

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People do it both ways. I prefer to rerack and try again. I think the runs are more comparable to each other that way. I also like to break the first rack with a normal or even slightly unfavorable break shot, rather than use the side pocket break the pro's use when trying for a high run, like at DCC. That way I'm not getting a free ride on the first rack with all the balls spread out. Doing this also gives you more break shot practice.
That's interesting. I hadn't thought at all how a run would start out, that wasn't part of a game. Now I am thinking about it too much!

So, are you saying that at DCC folks position the break ball by the side pocket, take cue ball in hand, and proceed from there?

If you start by breaking the full rack, I assume you're not re-racking because you didn't get a called ball in on the break, correct? I assume you'd start your run with the first called ball you sink; but how many shots in would you go before sinking one?

Thanks,

jv

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's interesting. I hadn't thought at all how a run would start out, that wasn't part of a game. Now I am thinking about it too much!

So, are you saying that at DCC folks position the break ball by the side pocket, take cue ball in hand, and proceed from there?

If you start by breaking the full rack, I assume you're not re-racking because you didn't get a called ball in on the break, correct? I assume you'd start your run with the first called ball you sink; but how many shots in would you go before sinking one?

Thanks,

jv
The more or less standard break was to put the 15th object ball on the center spot (yes, pool tables have a center spot) and play it into the side to hit the rack between the two front balls.

The second-most common break at DCC was the normal side-of-the-rack break with the cue ball fairly close.

The only high-run sort of drill/competition that smashes a full rack randomly that I know of is Equal Offense. The rules are online in many places and in the BCA rule book.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The more or less standard break was to put the 15th object ball on the center spot (yes, pool tables have a center spot) and play it into the side to hit the rack between the two front balls.

The second-most common break at DCC was the normal side-of-the-rack break with the cue ball fairly close.

The only high-run sort of drill/competition that smashes a full rack randomly that I know of is Equal Offense. The rules are online in many places and in the BCA rule book.
Thanks Bob. I don't understand the second one you mention. Do they not play the cue from the kitchen? No called ball on that shot?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob. I don't understand the second one you mention. Do they not play the cue from the kitchen? No called ball on that shot?

For high run attempts you start out with cue ball and break ball in hand, you can put them both anywhere you want. At least I think it’s anywhere you want but there are only a couple plausible spots to use and those are the only ones I’ve seen

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For high run attempts you start out with cue ball and break ball in hand, you can put them both anywhere you want. At least I think it’s anywhere you want but there are only a couple plausible spots to use and those are the only ones I’ve seen
A rule at DCC was that neither of the two in-hand balls could be within a ball of any other ball. At one point some players were freezing the cue ball and break ball together by the side pocket.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Thanks,

jv

A picture is worth a thousand words...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XIzEtdrYzk

A video is worth a million

If you rack them and start over after a miss, it makes scoring a lot easier...
...you count by 14s.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm asking because of the "EXPERTS" that keep taking shots at the 14.1 event. ME: 37 balls. I'm FAR from a player at 14.1 but i like it and appreciate the skill needed.

We are tied:) 37 for me. I've been going after 50 for a few years, maybe this will be the year.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A picture is worth a thousand words...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XIzEtdrYzk
A video is worth a million

If you rack them and start over after a miss, it makes scoring a lot easier...
...you count by 14s.
Maxsim broke a little harder than necessary. :eek: Two other things to note from that video. Alex P seems to be Maxsim's biggest fan. :grin: And the scorekeeper is amazingly efficient, accurate, and charming. Nevermind that he was helped by having all the 14s printed on the scoresheet. No one wanted him to take off his shoes for counting.:eek: It's hard to get good help in Southern Indiana in January.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
We are tied:) 37 for me. I've been going after 50 for a few years, maybe this will be the year.

As I said in an earlier post, 37 is also my high run. But let me add that this was in match conditions....not setting up a break shot.

When I missed on that run, it wasn't as hard of a shot as I would liked to have missed on. I might have gotten to 50 (or more) had I not have missed that shot. :(

Maniac

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've gotten too used to lagging balls in one pocket to be honest over the past several years.
I'm lucky to run 3 racks these days lol.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Maxsim broke a little harder than necessary. :eek: Two other things to note from that video. Alex P seems to be Maxsim's biggest fan. :grin: And the scorekeeper is amazingly efficient, accurate, and charming. Nevermind that he was helped by having all the 14s printed on the scoresheet. No one wanted him to take off his shoes for counting.:eek: It's hard to get good help in Southern Indiana in January.

I was almost coerced into going to the DCC this year....
...if the 14.1 was still on, it might’ve made the difference.
I loved watching from the top...with the view of the main floor and the stream table also.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Good question

Might try practicing traditional break shots separate. Once you make them consistently (not taking eye off object ball). Nothing can take the place of persistence.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might try practicing traditional break shots separate. Once you make them consistently (not taking eye off object ball). Nothing can take the place of persistence.

Positive, helpful tidbits like this from players of high caliber such as yourself are appreciated, and carry a lot of weight. Thx for the positive post.

td

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Ohhh...I like straight pool. I hate that no one plays it in my area at all. Only played actual 14.1 games a handful of times. Ran 33 in one in a race to 50 when I my opponent was at 48 or 49. I lost. That one hurt...I always tried to beat this guy...trying reeeeaaaaallll hard, lol.

Technical high run is 56 if I recall...on a valley bar box. So that doesn't count...but 52 (if I recall) on a Diamond Pro 9 footer is my personal practice best. I tried forever to get over the half century mark. Mental blocks started happening.

Here's a random practice run that I did a minute ago. Ran 42 if I recall in that video. Pretty laughable run really. Here's the video, worth watching just to listen to Hendrix blaze away on that guitar. Damn...hard to believe that was 9 years ago....

Edit...I absolutely can't wait to start hitting balls again on the regular. Been suffering through a torturous home build since may 2018 and my table has been in storage for the entire time...as has been by pool game.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something about the way he stated it, I think we are missing information of a "spin" nature. Ive driven a golf ball over a 1,000 yards.

Down the Freeway.

Thats nothing.
I drove a golf ball 2000 miles.
I was on a road trip and the ball was in the trunk.