Color of Money Fans?

David Marcus

"not bad,for a blind man"
Silver Member
Just curious.....How many of you have watched the movie thousands of times but neglect to listen to the intro from Martin Scorcese ?

"9-Ball is rotation pool, the balls are pocketed in numbered order. The only ball that means anything, that wins it, is the 9. Now, the player can shoot eight trick shots in a row, blow the 9, and lose. On the other hand, the player can get the 9 in on the break, if the balls spread right, and win. Which is to say, that luck plays a part in nine-ball. But for some players, luck itself is an art."
- M.S. (1986)

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not me.

A friend had a saying that may have come from this movie. An eight ball run in a nine ball game....

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure

Just curious.....How many of you have watched the movie thousands of times but neglect to listen to the intro from Martin Scorcese ?

"9-Ball is rotation pool, the balls are pocketed in numbered order. The only ball that means anything, that wins it, is the 9. Now, the player can shoot eight trick shots in a row, blow the 9, and lose. On the other hand, the player can get the 9 in on the break, if the balls spread right, and win. Which is to say, that luck plays a part in nine-ball. But for some players, luck itself is an art."
- M.S. (1986)

I am sure you are right because my hearing is terrible, but I always thought the intro was Tom Cruise not Scorcese.

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
I am sure you are right because my hearing is terrible, but I always thought the intro was Tom Cruise not Scorcese.

Lol, I've seen this movie a thousand times....I swear it's Tom Cruise giving the opening monolouge....

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
It should have been Paul Newman as Fast Eddie & he should have said, 'but when you're an artist, a true artist with character, you take luck completely out of the picture.'

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, I've seen this movie a thousand times....I swear it's Tom Cruise giving the opening monolouge....

me as well, i found about a couple months ago its to me MS, i listened to is a few times in a row, its not Tom C. you have to listen real carefully to tell tho.

"Luck itself is a art"<------how strong is that? and its true in everything in life.

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
me as well, i found about a couple months ago its to me MS, i listened to is a few times in a row, its not Tom C. you have to listen real carefully to tell tho.

"Luck itself is a art"<------how strong is that? and its true in everything in life.

I just listened to it again on youtube, and damnit, it is Marty. I don't think I ever would have picked up on that had someone not mentioned it. I obviously knew he directed it, but with Cruise being the star, I guess your brain is just wired to hear his voice in it. I never would have thought that it wasn't Tom Cruise before listening to it really closely.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
When it first came out in the 80's, I didn't pay attention to the opening monologue. As I re-watched it, I started to appreciate it. It sets the tone for the film. This movie isn't the Hustler, it stands on its own.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
For youse guys that sneer at the luck factor in 9-ball...
..the great Ben Hogan said "The more I practice, the luckier I get."

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scorcese does a very good, succinct explanation of the game of 9 ball which of course was needed for all the movie viewers who don't play the game. Otherwise for tens of millions of viewers it would be like watching a card game and not have a clue how it's played........his tone and cadence is great but frankly.........since he's such good friends with DeNiro and Robert has also been known to frequent some NYC's upscale pool parlors like Amsterdam.....and DeNiro has a great speaking voice if you saw any of the many American Express Commercials or NYC promos he made.......I think DeNiro voice would have fit right much better......a little B'klyn accent and the right pauses and voice inflections......yeah, no doubt DeNiro would have nailed it better than Marty's rendition.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Thousands of times? Are you kidding?
Debbie Does Dallas, or Driving Miss Daisy Crazy, maybe, but not The Color of Money. :)

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you must not listen well because it's tom cruise saying it lol

- M.S. (1986)

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you must not listen well because it's tom cruise saying it lol

I stand corrected!! I've heard it a million times and always thought it was cruise but according to wiki it's definitely marty! Ya learn something new every day!

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
Yeah, I'm a big Scorsese fan. He typically makes some kind of cameo in his movies. My favorite is in "Taxi Driver" when he's the jealous husband stalking his cheating wife.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poodle

Yeah, I'm a big Scorsese fan. He typically makes some kind of cameo in his movies. My favorite is in "Taxi Driver" when he's the jealous husband stalking his cheating wife.

Then you must know that he did make a cameo in COM, it was in the Hotel and he walked left to right past Eddie with a poodle on a leash.

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
I love that part in the movie... I like to watch bits of that movie before I go out to shoot pool and the intro is one of my favorites if I'm in a hurry and want to pump myself up a lil. It's kind of funny really cuz I'm mainly an 8-ball player but I just love the way he says that whole bit :thumbup:

I always play it for girls that are into pool and I can tell right away how much heart they have by their reaction to the bit and my excitement when I watch it :grin-square:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Fer cryin out loud, it was Jay that did the opening. Y'all need to lay off the crack (and seriously need to read his book on this and many historical topics - and NO, I don't get royalties, I play C's and sleep in the gutters with hot chicks)

:grin-square:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

- M.S. (1986)

I don't know who could miss the intro, ever. But I thought it was Tom Cruise narrating the intro. Cool to know it was Scorsese.