Ronnie O'Sullivan Runs Another 147, September 26, 2015

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Video at the linked page. He makes it look easy AGAIN.

EDIT: For some reason, the linked website won't let me copy/paste. Search o'sullivan 147 at news.google.com. Stupid internet!

Last edited:

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never seen anyone make a 147 look so effortless. They way he handles a 147 is different to any other I've seen made both live and televised. Everyone except Ronnie takes a step back for a second and seems to have the mentality of just make this shot and I can get the 147. Ronnie has the mentality of WHEN I make this ball the 147 is mine. When I've spoken with him he knows he is making a 147 when he is on a 20 something break. That kind of self confidence is what makes him the player he is.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was awesome. Effortless. The average person prob thinks that wasn't that big a deal because he made it look soooooo easy.

Question for snooker fans/players: do snooker tables have standard size pockets or can they vary like pool tables here? Only ask because one or two of those shots looked like they might not go in on some of the videos I've watched on YouTube of snooker world championships. Again he made it look so easy that it may just be Ronnie being Ronnie.

Zhero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
snooker tables use a different kind of felt, and the pockets are smaller (so are the balls), and they are designed differently; snooker pockets are rounded and don' take rails balls easily (in fact, it's VERY VERY difficult to pocket a ball close to the rail, because the pocket becomes so so so small). They are extremely bouncy, any attempt to cheat the pocket may jeopardize your run. The good thing about snooker tables is the middle pockets are easier than pool tables since they open up wider.

There is a lot less english used in snooker because it requires tremendous amount of accuracy, you will see a lot of follow, stun, draw, but not english. The best tables that helped me practice are actually the Chinese 8-ball tables. They are essentially 9ft snooker tables, very hard to pocket balls, and very hard to use english. I find myself way more accurate after practicing on the Chinese 8ball tables after a month or two.

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
Question for snooker fans/players: do snooker tables have standard size pockets or can they vary like pool tables here? Only ask because one or two of those shots looked like they might not go in on some of the videos I've watched on YouTube of snooker world championships.

Yes, indeed a couple of balls went down a bit "easy" and since this was an exhibition match I wouldn't be surprised if the table wasn't the tightest.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was awesome. Effortless. The average person prob thinks that wasn't that big a deal because he made it look soooooo easy.

Question for snooker fans/players: do snooker tables have standard size pockets or can they vary like pool tables here? Only ask because one or two of those shots looked like they might not go in on some of the videos I've watched on YouTube of snooker world championships. Again he made it look so easy that it may just be Ronnie being Ronnie.
As far as I know all tables on the professional circuit are standardised and all play extremely similar. Since this was an exhibition match the tables will be constructed to make it as exciting as possible to the paying punters, which means more balls dropping. Standardising of equipment in snooker is what sets it above all other pro pocket billiard sports. They even go as far as to keep the bed of the table heated so they all play at a very similar speed no matter the country, humidity and temp. It has been know for both players to request a new table be constructed during an interval or for it to be reclothed due to it not playing as it should. If both request it, it gets done. The sponsors want the players to play at their best to make exciting viewing so they won't think twice about dismantling a 6k table and throwing it in the bin as long as the players are happy with it.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure his 147 senses kick in before he knocks the first red in. Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. His snooker mind is lighting quick.

He truly is amazing ,, It's mind boggling how fast and precise he is in top gear

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

Among club tables, they can vary widely. You can have some very big pockets and then punishingly hard ones depending on where you play. The ones you see on tv are a lot more difficult than they make it seem. So there is definitely some variance, though WPBSA and IBSF have their pocket templates that standardized the difficulty for their events.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The shot at 2:00 was amazing, he judged and executed in a split second, and laid up beautifully.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I don't know what all the fuss over Ronnie O'Sullivan is about. I mean, if he were human then yeah, he'd be unbelievable. But clearly he's not human.