This rejected shot should count IMO, what say you?

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
There was a shot like that at the World Pool Series 8 ball event in January. I forgot who was the playing. I think it was on a Rasson table. Not a Diamond for sure.

Ive seen one on a diamond barbox go in 1 side pocket and come out the other. I think it was someones league match and they posted it to facebook a while back. I saved the video in case it was ever taken down. Never re-uploaded it because it wasnt mine originally.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
Lol ... the shot is no good, period. I've had it happen and yes, it is frustrating. To consider a different alternative would become a slippery slope. What next? Do-overs when you don't like the result? :rolleyes:

Exactly. What happens when the ball pops back out and disturbs another ball? You cant put the ball back down after it moved other balls. If it's on the table, its not pocketed.

mmktierney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched a match were Jason Shaw and his opponent were putting a ball into the pocket they were shooting into just to prevent this very thing. This would act as a shock absorber . It was in Europe I think...saw it on youtube

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Close Only Counts............

Close only counts in.........

Horseshoes
Hand Gernades
Atom Bombs

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Watched a match were Jason Shaw and his opponent were putting a ball into the pocket they were shooting into just to prevent this very thing. This would act as a shock absorber . It was in Europe I think...saw it on youtube
This has been discussed several times before. For some pockets you want exactly two balls in the pocket if you're going to shoot hard.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This happened to me too, in Coffeyville, KS. Hill/Hill game & the 8 Ball does me that way. Pops out of the pocket about 2 inches in front of the hole. My opponent jumped straight up & yelled.....

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The ball was "pocketed" period. Those of you comparing it to skids and almost making a ball have issues, there is no comparison. It also doesnt matter how hard he hit it and didnt need to or whatever else you can come up with to make yourselves feel better about it.

If it were my game even hill hill, he would be shooting the 9.

If it disturbes other balls then maybe a rerack.

Jason<---not a slippy slope with his integrity

JC

Coos Cues
I had this happen in league the other night and it saved my ass.

I had broke ran down to the 8 and missed it on a fairly easy shot. My opponent then ran down to his last ball which he missed leaving me an even easier shot on the 8. I was still a little bit on tilt from missing it the last time and fired it in. The 8 ball came back on the table, rolled over and tied up my opponents last ball right on the rail just as the cue ball came around three rails and scratched. After a brief safety battle I won the game. Had the 8 ball stayed down it was game over.

JC

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
The ball was "pocketed" period. Those of you comparing it to skids and almost making a ball have issues, there is no comparison. It also doesnt matter how hard he hit it and didnt need to or whatever else you can come up with to make yourselves feel better about it.

You are welcome to give that game away but in most cases if it were the other way around I wouldnt expect much leniency. If the ball is on the table, rules say it's not pocketed. These video examples are on the world's stage.

Just to further comment on your post. Let's say it does disturb other balls and it is deemed a rerack. Who get's to break? The guy that was shooting since it is unfair that happened to him? The guy that originally broke that rack? If alternating break then would it be the next person in the alternating rotation?

The only real "fair" option is that the ball is not considered pocketed. I've had the happen to me with a corner pocket on a valley box. Most players here have had this happen to them. Pros have had it happen to them and there is more then one example of it in a major event.

Both players are playing on the same equipment. Shit happens. Sure I wouldnt be happy and I would probably ***** about it, but the ball is still on the table. It's not your fault. It's not the rules fault. It's the equipment's fault and there isnt anything that can be done about it except not compete on that equipment until it is corrected, provided you have that luxury and it is ever corrected.

Let's say you are gambling and this happens. You are shooting the 8ball before the 9ball. You shoot and it goes in and comes back out. Your opponent says he didnt see the shot (whether he did or not), but yet the ball is still on the table.

It's bullshit and it blows when it happens to you, but calling the ball not pocketed it the correct call.

Last edited:

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it happens once then it shouldn't count IMO. If it happens twice especially in the same game then from then on it should stay down. Otherwise it's not pool. The kid from Poland who shot the 8 in the side had to hit the ball that hard because it's a tv table with dead rails, fast cloth, he had a little too much angle to just stop it or hold it. He didn't do anything wrong.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
You can take all this equipment failure stuff even further. Say you shoot a slow roll to a corner pocket and the ball clearly rolls off. It was on the perfect path, but then possibly hit where the slate is joined, or the table is off balance or whatever and it deviates and he ball rattles or hits the rail.

The ball was supposed to be pocketed? You can just put it down and say "well that ball was in". Equipment failure isnt an excuse to put a ball down that isnt currently down.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Jason,

Should it count?
It went in the hole!
http://www.golfdigest.com/story/watch-pro-jar-approach-shotonly-for-ball-to-pop-out-of-hole

Last edited:

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plain bad luck for the shooter. The ball has to be hit perfect for it come back out.

On tables without a ball return I've always cleared the pocket of all balls except for one to keep the pocketed ball from looping around and back out.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've fantasized about playing a World Championship 9-Ball match against Efren Reyes, in front of millions of viewers, and having this happen to Efren while shooting the 8, during our hill-hill rack. In my mind, I come to the table, grab the 8 ball, and place into the pocket, allowing Efren to come back to the table -- to complete the runout that he deserves.

If someone did this, I think everyone would think it was a classy move, or at least I would. I don't think a player should be penalized because of an unknown, and unnatural table flaw.

In my dream, if you or Efren did it for me....I would concede the match.
...I could've conceded hundreds of games because my opponent was hard luck...
...but I didn't....and I don't want it done for me.

Where the ball ends up is where you hit it.

I had a ball bounce off the bottom of the pocket in a hill-hill snooker match....
....I lost.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Originally Posted by mchnhed:

Close only counts in.........

Horseshoes
Hand Gernades
Atom Bombs

Shaving

These are a Close Shave.........

Attachments

• IMG_0729.JPG
    IMG_0729.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0728.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0727.JPG
    IMG_0727.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 158

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys and your fears of slippery slopes....how do you guys get out of bed in the morning without having the shakes?