Permitted...not permitted?

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can I use a rolled -up piece of paper instead of a glove to provide low friction cueing? This works much better for me, and I can't find anything illegal about it in the rules.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Seriously, if you're going to do that, you may as well just use rolled up currency.

That way it will make it easier when you get your butt beat to just hand over the money to your opponent. LOL

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can I use a rolled -up piece of paper instead of a glove to provide low friction cueing? This works much better for me, and I can't find anything illegal about it in the rules.

I played against a guy (A-player at least, as he was always in contention to win the Airway Billiards tournament) that used a rolled up napkin. He’d change it out a couple times during the tournament.

He smoked me.

Freddie <~~~ before gloves became en vogue

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I played against a guy (A-player at least, as he was always in contention to win the Airway Billiards tournament) that used a rolled up napkin. He’d change it out a couple times during the tournament.

He smoked me.

I suppose that there are always exceptions where a good player could do something goofy, but good grief. A napkin? LMAO

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was a guy where I learned to play who used a paper towel. No one felt it was cheating -- we just kind of snickered about it. He was dealing with dirty house cues. I think it's not common but it is and has been done and there is not a problem with it.

A related issue is putting a towel down over a sticky pocket liner to keep your shaft from getting gummed up. I think that's fine too, but I've seen players try to call a foul for that. I think measures a little out of the ordinary are OK to make up for defects in the provided equipment.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I saw a good player a long time ago use a dollar bill in his bridge hand.
....it was summer and the room had no air conditioning...
...it worked fine.

Another reason why the closed bridge is handy.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Tucker uses a woven tube for just such a thing. I think they can be purchased. I like the glove...

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
If Earl can use finger extensions (or whatever those are), then I can't imagine it would be a problem.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've seen a few players use the Unglove.

Attachments

• Unglove.jpg
    Unglove.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 669

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only exception I can think of that’s relevant is using your shirttail for something like a masse or jump. You can’t use your shirt while you’re wearing it. If it’s a small piece of cloth in your hand, I think most wont have a problem.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The only exception I can think of that’s relevant is using your shirttail for something like a masse or jump. You can’t use your shirt while you’re wearing it. If it’s a small piece of cloth in your hand, I think most wont have a problem.
IDK... If my opponent starts to shoot a masse, I'm not going to object to his shirt getting involved. I'd rather that than him wasting time going over to his case and getting a small cloth or going up to the bar to get a napkin.

Is there actually a written ruling that you can't use your shirt?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think paper too abrasive for this application.

I'd go with cloth...they do make products for had/ cue contact point.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IDK... If my opponent starts to shoot a masse, I'm not going to object to his shirt getting involved. I'd rather that than him wasting time going over to his case and getting a small cloth or going up to the bar to get a napkin.

Is there actually a written ruling that you can't use your shirt?

If your shirttail is taut, then it would suggest your shirt is supporting your cue. Only your hand or a mechanical bridge may support your cue.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If your shirttail is taut, then it would suggest your shirt is supporting your cue. Only your hand or a mechanical bridge may support your cue.
Now that I think about it, I recall some artistic billiard people gripping clothing for masse shots. The clothing might not have been touching the cue, though.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that I think about it, I recall some artistic billiard people gripping clothing for masse shots. The clothing might not have been touching the cue, though.

Yeah, if that happened during a 9ball tournament, I would call a ref. I would expect most refs to agree with me but wouldn’t be surprised if there were some exceptions.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think paper too abrasive for this application.

I'd go with cloth...they do make products for had/ cue contact point.
Ah, one would think that, but I challenge everyone here to cut a 4" by 4" square of kraft wrapping paper, wrap it around the cueing area of the shaft, not too tightly, secure with 2 pieces of scotch tape, and voila! I can virtually promise you you'll be amazed at what this does for your stroke. Kraft paper is the way to go.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He smoked me.

We put a couple 4"x3" Simonis break pads (same color as cloth) in the two head pockets for our regulars to use as break pads to save on break burn marks. I often notice the recreational players will utilize these break pads in their bridge hand while shooting, as we don't provide talc or cone chalk here. They may even think that's what they are for. FYI, I love the finger wraps as opposed to a standard pool glove.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I think that is totally unfair.....:frown:
If you can lose your shirt playing pool...why the hell can't you use it?