How to tell if a cue is cored?

bryanlee

Banned
Just wondering how you can tell if a cue is cored or not? I really appreciate all the knowledge and great information that is brought to this forum by you cue makers. (This is the best form on AZ in my opinion)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Just wondering how you can tell if a cue is cored or not? I really appreciate all the knowledge and great information that is brought to this forum by you cue makers. (This is the best form on AZ in my opinion)

Look at the face where the joint screw goes in.
Does the wood look different from the forearm?
You can do the same by removing the bumper.

That's as good as you can do without x-raying the cue.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at the face where the joint screw goes in.
Does the wood look different from the forearm?
You can do the same by removing the bumper.

That's as good as you can do without x-raying the cue.

Yup. Some cues, you cant tell if they are cored or not, unless you x-ray the cue.
A non cored cue can also have a nice hit and good balance, so that's not a way to determine construction method.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
It's a maple forearm so it's hard to tell.

Looks at the grain lines that run along the forearm, and see if they line up with the grain lines at the joint face. If they do not, then it's cored. If they do, then look to see if they are spaced the same, and if at all possible imagine that there is no joint collar and visualize whether or not the grains connect. It shouldn't be all that difficult to tell if it's cored, unless the maker used a maple core that was similar in grain structure to the forearm wood, and took note to line the grains up. Usually we all turn the core so the grains are 90* to one another.

bryanlee

Banned
Thank you that helped out a bunch. I guess I have a non cored cue since the grain lines match. Is it ok to shoot with a non cored cue all the time and do I need to do anything special to store it? Thanks everyone I really enjoy this forum!

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coring

Most hard woods do not require coring, although, some makers core everything.

Mario

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you that helped out a bunch. I guess I have a non cored cue since the grain lines match. Is it ok to shoot with a non cored cue all the time and do I need to do anything special to store it? Thanks everyone I really enjoy this forum!

It is fine to play with. Go enjoy your cue.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This got me thinking. When did coring cues really begin to become a "thing" anyway? I understand why we do it and it makes perfect sense. I just can't think of a general timeline.