APA question—bracing myself

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I am asking for trouble here...please keep the bashing to a minimum and focus on my question. :)

I have played APA since 1998, but don’t understand something. If a higher skill level player (but NOT a 7/9!!) plays only lower ranked players, would there ever be a way that they would move up in skill level?

I am prepared, I think, for the onslaught.

poolhound

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The handicap system is supposed to make everyone play even no matter their skill level. It's BS but it is what it is.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Far as i understand it, yes you can go up. If you were a 5 skill level and only played 3's but were winning in 2 innings or less per game, then that shows your playing to a higher skill level. If you did it against a 6 all the time your still playing at that higher skill level regardless who you are playing. Now what i think is the problem is that 3 is going to congest and screw up a table so the innings will go up and the 5 really can't do nothing about it. Im sure your opponent is factored into it somewhat but your skill is your skill. Innings per game are an indication of where your skill level is.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Yes, you can. A couple of ways.
Do you feel like you should be rated higher than you are?

Last edited:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a higher skill level player (but NOT a 7/9!!) plays only lower ranked players, would there ever be a way that they would move up in skill level?

Consider a SL5 playing a SL2 in 8-ball where the SL5 wins the lag then breaks and runs a 4-pack and the SL2 does not even get a shot. Clearly the SL5 is playing above his rated level.

D WEATHERSBY II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A players skill level depends on factors like how many games are won / how many innings used to win those games / and overall match wins. If a player wins lots of games / lots of matches / in few innings, that player will certainly climb in skill level regardless of whether he/she plays 1's of 9's.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A players skill level depends on factors like how many games are won / how many innings used to win those games / and overall match wins. If a player wins lots of games / lots of matches / in few innings, that player will certainly climb in skill level regardless of whether he/she plays 1's of 9's.

Some of that is true for 8 Ball APA. But 9 ball, your amount of games has no factor. Overall Matches up to your last 20. Inning per Match and how many of the total points available did you get.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I am asking for trouble here...please keep the bashing to a minimum and focus on my question. :)

I have played APA since 1998, but don’t understand something. If a higher skill level player (but NOT a 7/9!!) plays only lower ranked players, would there ever be a way that they would move up in skill level?

I am prepared, I think, for the onslaught.

For all players, it does not matter who your opponent is. Not one bit. Your skill level is calculated based on innings per game in 8 ball and balls per inning in 9 ball. So if you are able to run balls at a certain level, your opponent doesn't really matter at all as far as your skill level is concerned.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course you can go up. It doesn’t have anything to do with the skill level of your opponent.

On a side note I just saw on face book that they are adding a division in the 9 ball shoot out. They are making a 6/7 division instead of having 7s playing with the 8s and 9s. Everyone was all excited . I almost posted “why does it matter? I thought the handy Capp made everything even!” But I didn’t feel like dealing with the non stop angry messages I would get lol

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course you can go up. It doesn’t have anything to do with the skill level of your opponent.

On a side note I just saw on face book that they are adding a division in the 9 ball shoot out. They are making a 6/7 division instead of having 7s playing with the 8s and 9s. Everyone was all excited . I almost posted “why does it matter? I thought the handy Capp made everything even!” But I didn’t feel like dealing with the non stop angry messages I would get lol

Yea its kinda hypocritical all the posting that goes on in this forum bashing handicap leagues " apa " when most of those guys wont play for money without a spot from a slightly better players....heck pros give spots to other pros. A spot is nothing but a handicap . I have mentioned this several times on here and yet no one has ever disputed it but still bash handicap leagues.....what hypocrisy.

Reactions: CGM