Who are these guys with the Miz?

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I putting the finishing touches on a gallery of images from the old Red's tournaments (1983-1984). Among the several people I cannot identify are the two guys on either side of Mizerak in this shot. These two guys appear in several other shots as well. Are they significant in the world of pool? Or just mobsters?:) Or maybe IRS? Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Attachments

• S4-Miaerak1-edited.jpg
    S4-Miaerak1-edited.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 537

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still wondering about these two guys - and a nice old shot of Richie Ambrose

Anyone know these guys with Miz? If not, I guess we'll keep them in the Reds gallery for now. Thanks!

Oh, here's a shot from the Red's gallery that I'm kind of fond of.:)

Attachments

• Ambrose for AZ.jpg
    Ambrose for AZ.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 463

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not Danny, it's Richie

Gerry said:
is that DiLiberto?
That's Richie Ambrose shooting. But he does look a bit like Danny Diliberto in that photo. Richie was a top player and "road warrior" who died some years back. I played him once when he was traveling with Tommy Thompson, Titanic Thompson's son. Richie beat me even, beat me giving me the eight, and then beat me giving me the seven. Guess he played better than I did?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
BillPorter said:
I putting the finishing touches on a gallery of images from the old Red's tournaments (1983-1984). Among the several people I cannot identify are the two guys on either side of Mizerak in this shot. These two guys appear in several other shots as well. Are they significant in the world of pool? Or just mobsters?:) Or maybe IRS? Any help will be sincerely appreciated.
Paul Gurnsey on Miz's left.

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
BillPorter said:
Anyone know these guys with Miz? If not, I guess we'll keep them in the Reds gallery for now. Thanks!

Oh, here's a shot from the Red's gallery that I'm kind of fond of.:)

Richie "Mr 9-Ball" Ambrose hung in Davie, Fl at the Q-Master Billiards in the mid 80's home of the greatest $20 9-Ball tournament in life. I watched him beat some tough talent and MAN could he spin whitey!!! R.I.P. Mr 9-Ball

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Voodoo...

Voodoo Daddy said:
Richie "Mr 9-Ball" Ambrose hung in Davie, Fl at the Q-Master Billiards in the mid 80's home of the greatest $20 9-Ball tournament in life. I watched him beat some tough talent and MAN could he spin whitey!!! R.I.P. Mr 9-Ball
Hey, Voodoo, I think you'll enjoy purusing our gallery of images from the 1983-1984 Red's tournaments. I'll post a link when we open it for viewing on June 1. It'll have about 165 images (down from the 215 it had before that mean, old Mike Haines started weeding out the ones that weren't up to his standards).

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think so....

Island Drive said:
Paul Gurnsey on Miz's left.

Gee, Island Drive, if you mean the Paul G. who lives in Dallas, I think I've met him a few times and he doesn't look like that guy in the pic.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BillPorter said:
That's Richie Ambrose shooting... Richie beat me even, beat me giving me the eight, and then beat me giving me the seven. Guess he played better than I did?
No bet!:eek: :rolleyes:

wvroadrunner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BillPorter said:
That's Richie Ambrose shooting. But he does look a bit like Danny Diliberto in that photo. Richie was a top player and "road warrior" who died some years back. I played him once when he was traveling with Tommy Thompson, Titanic Thompson's son. Richie beat me even, beat me giving me the eight, and then beat me giving me the seven. Guess he played better than I did?

Bill

I believe Richie is alive and living in Las Vegas. He was
at the BCA Nationals last week.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richie Ambrose - Alive or not?

wvroadrunner said:
Bill

I believe Richie is alive and living in Las Vegas. He was
at the BCA Nationals last week.

Hey, this seems like a question someone on this board can help us with. Anyone know for sure whether Richie Ambrose is among the living?

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
"Take it from me 'The Miz'. When you purchase Pool the Master's way and Learn from the Best, You'll learn everything you'll need to know about how to shoot pool like a pro. EXCEPT BEAT ME!"

This isn't related to the thread. I just think about it everytime someone mentions the Miz.

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal said:
"Take it from me 'The Miz'. When you purchase Pool the Master's way and Learn from the Best, You'll learn everything you'll need to know about how to shoot pool like a pro. EXCEPT BEAT ME!"

This isn't related to the thread. I just think about it everytime someone mentions the Miz.
How could I ever forget that line. That commercial must have run for ten years straight! Remember it said to buy it now because sales were limited. Limited to about 10 billion, I'd guess:D

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BillPorter said:
Hey, this seems like a question someone on this board can help us with. Anyone know for sure whether Richie Ambrose is among the living?

Well, Bill...I was surprised to hear you say Richie had died. I've seen him in Vegas every year in May (with the exception of the last 3, where I wasn't there at that time), for at least the last 15 yrs. I'd say he still is in Vegas...especially with the other poster having seen him last week! LOL :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy to hear that Richie is still alive

Scott Lee said:
Well, Bill...I was surprised to hear you say Richie had died. I've seen him in Vegas every year in May (with the exception of the last 3, where I wasn't there at that time), for at least the last 15 yrs. I'd say he still is in Vegas...especially with the other poster having seen him last week! LOL :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
Hey, Scott, I'm glad to hear that Richie is still alive. Probably not as glad as Richie, but glad. Guess I can save that sympathy card for someone else. I really don't know where I got the idea that he was deceased, but at my age (64) it gets harder and harder to keep track of who's alive and who's dead. I'm putting a check mark by YOUR name to remind myself that you're still alive!:D

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I am becoming convinced that he is alive

Rip said:
He didn't walk like he was dead when I saw him the other day.
Rip
So it wasn't, "Dead Man Walking?" Thanks for the correction, Rip, I guess I was just dead wrong!