Can AZB Win Back Top Pros and Instructors?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
One of the things I love most about pool discussion boards going back to RSB is to hear about and discuss how players from divergent backgrounds find their way.

Players with backgrounds from carpentry, to plumbing, to academia, the military, students, medicine, cops and robbers, and engineers all bring their unique perspective to the discussion and that is great. Because it’s the guys that have done something other than pool their entire lives that I can identify with.

And for me, one of the things I always find most rewarding is when I can describe my own travails and someone will post in return something like: you know, that really resonated with me.

I like having pros around as much as the next guy. But what I have observed over the years is that most often the pro does not know how he does what he does anymore than prodigies or naturals from other sports. And so, you end with guys trying to describe and explain how to play pool and often (usually) those explanation don’t resonate, and/or are based in faulty logic, or can even be proven to be flat out wrong.

In addition, I believe we are not the pros's demographic (unless they're selling something or looking for a backer). Your average pro is not going to be dispensing pearls of wisdom and insight to the great unwashed here. Generally speaking, pros like to talk to other pros and us bangers like to talk to other bangers. Of course there are those here that put pro pool players on a pedestal and think we should grant them superior privileges, cutting them a wide swath while they deign to walk amongst us. I am not one of those guys.

For me I’d rather read what Bob, or Mike, or Dr. Dave, or PJ, or any number of other guys -- who bring a wealth of varied experience, knowledge and intelligent discussion to the table -- rather than hear from a pro who will not tolerate questioning while fans wring their hands on the sidelines wailing, “Oh please don’t harass him -- you’ll drive him away.”

And what is that “harassment?”

Here, it has been polite questioning and the proffering of divergent opinions and scientific explanations. The response has often been bumper sticker logic and fortune cookie insights and to those of you that like that stuff I say: mazel tov.

But many of us like a little more substance than that. So wail away if you must. But please remember: people can and should disagree here -- it’s a discussion forum and as long as it’s polite, all points of view should be welcome. If you just want to chant hosannas there's always FB.

Lou Figueroa

I like your style, Lou. Great post.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many top instructors and top players shy away from posting content on AZB in fear of the avalanche of trolls that are sure to follow and knock. No one has the energy and attempting to help our community often results in far more trouble than it's worth. Forget the fact that many of these trolls can't play and can't teach -- it doesn't matter. It's a sociopathic desire to insult, knock down and chase off professional-level players, teachers and influencers of any value.

Top instructors and certainly nearly all of the pro-level players have chosen to jettison AZB in favor of social media, which is a tragedy for the forum and its community. It's a tragedy because it's avoidable and although it might be hard to fix, but it's not impossible to fix. Imagine a forum where the game's top players would post their thoughts on certain aspects of play. Imagine getting insight from a player as he/she discusses a recent win or loss and what they'd do to make adjustments in the future. At one time, this actually was a reality here at AZB but it didn't take long for a select few of know-it-alls to insult their writing style, their education level or imply they didn't know as much about pool as the legion of keyboard warriors who preyed on their every post.

Social media has spawned a comfortable environment from which they can self-moderate. With Facebook, as an example, if you become a thorn in someone's ass enough to make them turn purple, they can simply block you from their page. The end result is a healthy community of like-minded individuals whose only desires are to learn and engage with the top talent in the industry without the infinite loop of knockers and trolls.

Can AZB ever win them back? Can this forum ever change the atmosphere to be less toxic toward those who wish to share content? Clearly, "the internet is the internet," however, I think this forum can mimic many of the features of social media.

1) Invite all former and current top-ranked pro-level players back and give them moderator privileges in order to protect themselves. Someone can say, "Yeah, well, ____ posts here without problems." Sure -- I'm sure they do, but that's only because they can communicate in such a way on the forum that doesn't attract ridicule. Some players are insanely brilliant during play and knowledge, but they just can't convey it properly without the legion of pro-bashers and grammar police who come out of the woodwork. Should a player abuse that privilege, simply remove them from the player pool and the rights that go along with it.

2) Provide instructors their own sub-forums with moderator privileges within the sub-forum. Leave cesspool forums like "THE AIMING FORUM" be, just simply give instructors a private sub-forum from which to moderate their own discussion. That way, the 5 or 6 guys who pollute every single aiming thread can get kicked, allowing the group who want to learn....learn. Let instructors direct people from the aiming forum to his/her own sub-forum for uninterrupted discussion. Allow instructors to direct people from the Ask the Instructor forum to their own sub-forum for uninterrupted discussion.

Facebook does the above in spades. Users follow their content source and adhere to their rules. In exchange, they benefit from the knowledge. AZB can make a few microscopic changes that net huge beneficial results. Some people in this thread will say, "Mehhhhh... there isn't a problem." Some might even try to attack me for even suggesting such a thing. I think if 5 or 6 certain guys were locked out of CTE threads by Stan and unable to interfere with instruction, they'd go BERSERK because they'd be unable to troll and that's their favorite thing.

Can we get the top players to post here and change this brand from "NEVER" to "I LOVE IT THERE?"

Can we create environments in which people can learn without an endless stream of ridicule and debate?

By the way, I'm not saying create a combative-free environment. Forum wars have always driven most of the site traffic. I'm merely saying to create sub-forums that are moderated by content experts and players to create relaxing educational atmospheres free of any emotional combative energy for those who want to learn.

Easy answer - NO
1) pros dont care about this place at all and I dont blame them
2) general public here on azb doesnt care neither and those who do are in minority here
3) Last time there was what I call "a healthy debate culture" here without trolling, name calling or stealing threads completelly was maybe around 2010. Around that time "The great aiming war" started here and from there AZB culture went downhill..
4) AZB just cant compete with FB and Instagram by a country mile in what it can provide to pros as a way of promotion and communication with fans even if AZB did all you propose. AZB is not in the same league with FB/IG, its not even the same sport..
Sorry:sorry:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
One of the things I love most about pool discussion boards going back to RSB is to hear about and discuss how players from divergent backgrounds find their way.

Players with backgrounds from carpentry, to plumbing, to academia, the military, students, medicine, cops and robbers, and engineers all bring their unique perspective to the discussion and that is great. Because it’s the guys that have done something other than pool their entire lives that I can identify with.

And for me, one of the things I always find most rewarding is when I can describe my own travails and someone will post in return something like: you know, that really resonated with me.

I like having pros around as much as the next guy. But what I have observed over the years is that most often the pro does not know how he does what he does anymore than prodigies or naturals from other sports. And so, you end with guys trying to describe and explain how to play pool and often (usually) those explanation don’t resonate, and/or are based in faulty logic, or can even be proven to be flat out wrong.

In addition, I believe we are not the pros's demographic (unless they're selling something or looking for a backer). Your average pro is not going to be dispensing pearls of wisdom and insight to the great unwashed here. Generally speaking, pros like to talk to other pros and us bangers like to talk to other bangers. Of course there are those here that put pro pool players on a pedestal and think we should grant them superior privileges, cutting them a wide swath while they deign to walk amongst us. I am not one of those guys.

For me I’d rather read what Bob, or Mike, or Dr. Dave, or PJ, or any number of other guys -- who bring a wealth of varied experience, knowledge and intelligent discussion to the table -- rather than hear from a pro who will not tolerate questioning while fans wring their hands on the sidelines wailing, “Oh please don’t harass him -- you’ll drive him away.”

And what is that “harassment?”

Here, it has been polite questioning and the proffering of divergent opinions and scientific explanations. The response has often been bumper sticker logic and fortune cookie insights and to those of you that like that stuff I say: mazel tov.

But many of us like a little more substance than that. So wail away if you must. But please remember: people can and should disagree here -- it’s a discussion forum and as long as it’s polite, all points of view should be welcome. If you just want to chant hosannas there's always FB.

Lou Figueroa
I'm not sure if you had that same position with John Schmidt a few years ago when he was gonna knock your teeth out for trolling him to death and you told him how great your lawyer was. Was that at the Riviera? I forget.

Anyways, this thread was somewhat of a facetious thread because I knew exactly how it would evolve long before I posted it. Lest anyone believe there was going to be an sudden admiration of pro players and such.

Good to see Lou post who probably has the record here of chasing away instructors and pros 🥂

JC

Coos Cues
Anyways, this thread was somewhat of a facetious thread because I knew exactly how it would evolve long before I posted it.

And of course you don't see the irony, which is one of the constants of the aiming cult.

They never do.

You people are as predictable as the sun rising in the East. No wonder Lou likes trolling you.

JC

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
you're pissing into the wind and letting it blow back in your face around this joint.

That's been my experience too.. Well good news is there are things you can do and I'm just going to cut to the cheese because I should be doing something else.

I would suggest you get the admins here to update the software that the forum runs on. This is really holding back all the current options that could be used to do what your suggesting. As far as trolls go there are ways to deal with them. for example right now anybody can have an account and post whatever and in as many usernames as they want. This really needs to go to a pay to post.

Additional software that the site runs on is outdated and the thought of support is gone at the end of the year. These updates need to be done regardless to keep the place from being complete hack bait.

Instructors, pros, whatever. the user logins should be reviewed via database dump and the folks that are multi posting should be terminated.

I might be able to help with servers to do devel work on (it's a huge database I'm sure.). At the same time I'm pretty sure that Vbull will do the whole migration and template fixes. Not sure though..

AZ can also do the prove your a real person routine pretty easy now. again getting into posting levels.

I could go on..

(I ran this same software forever.)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And of course you don't see the irony, which is one of the constants of the aiming cult.

They never do.

You people are as predictable as the sun rising in the East. No wonder Lou likes trolling you.

JC

lol.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if you had that same position with John Schmidt a few years ago when he was gonna knock your teeth out for trolling him to death and you told him how great your lawyer was. Was that at the Riviera? I forget.

Anyways, this thread was somewhat of a facetious thread because I knew exactly how it would evolve long before I posted it. Lest anyone believe there was going to be an sudden admiration of pro players and such.

Good to see Lou post who probably has the record here of chasing away instructors and pros ��

As you well know, I have you on Ignore so I don't have to read your incessant drivel.

Nonetheless, a friend advised me to look at this recent post of yours.

As you also know well, what happen with JS was that a third party told him that I had said something negative about him, presumably online. I don't know what it was alleged that I said. So JS confronted me at the US One Pocket Open many years ago and was very belligerent. I stood there not understanding why he was going off on me and after several tense minutes he eventually stomped off.

The next year JS approached me at the DCC and apologized.

He told that someone had said I had said something negative about him (to this day I don't know what that was) and when he told that party that he had confronted me that unknown individual back-peddled and admitted that I hadn't said anything at all. John and I shook hands and every year thereafter, when we see each other at the DCC we greet each other cordially.

You know all of this to be true but you would rather purposely lie.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As you well know, I have you on Ignore so I don't have to read your incessant drivel.

Nonetheless, a friend advised me to look at this recent post of yours.

As you also know well, what happen with JS was that a third party told him that I had said something negative about him, presumably online. I don't know what it was alleged that I said.

Many years ago JS confronted me at the US One Pocket Open and was very belligerent. I stood there not understanding why he was going off one me and after several tense minutes he eventually stomped off.

The next year JS approached me at the DCC and apologized.

He told that someone had said I had said something negative about him (to this day don't know what that was) and when he told that party that he had confronted me that unknown individual back-peddled and admitted that I hadn't said anything at all. John and I shook hands and every year thereafter, when we see each other at the DCC we greet each other cordially.

You know all of this to be true but you would rather purposely lie.

Lou Figueroa
Uh oh, get ready for an unhinged response with a bunch of bolded blue letters.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are forums where you are required to use your real name verifiably and civility is required.

This not being one of them will not ever attract adult conversation uninterrupted by anonymous trolls.

JC

beat me to it ^^^^ this is the answer.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol of course not!!! Why would they.. when they try to impart any knowledge of the game that they’ve learned and help them attain the high level of play nit’s who are some mid level Apa player who can’t even win their local tournament act like world champion keyboard idiots and leave.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Many top instructors and top players shy away from posting content on AZB in fear of the avalanche of trolls that are sure to follow and knock. No one has the energy and attempting to help our community often results in far more trouble than it's worth. Forget the fact that many of these trolls can't play and can't teach -- it doesn't matter. It's a sociopathic desire to insult, knock down and chase off professional-level players, teachers and influencers of any value.

Top instructors and certainly nearly all of the pro-level players have chosen to jettison AZB in favor of social media, which is a tragedy for the forum and its community. It's a tragedy because it's avoidable and although it might be hard to fix, but it's not impossible to fix. Imagine a forum where the game's top players would post their thoughts on certain aspects of play. Imagine getting insight from a player as he/she discusses a recent win or loss and what they'd do to make adjustments in the future. At one time, this actually was a reality here at AZB but it didn't take long for a select few of know-it-alls to insult their writing style, their education level or imply they didn't know as much about pool as the legion of keyboard warriors who preyed on their every post.

Social media has spawned a comfortable environment from which they can self-moderate. With Facebook, as an example, if you become a thorn in someone's ass enough to make them turn purple, they can simply block you from their page. The end result is a healthy community of like-minded individuals whose only desires are to learn and engage with the top talent in the industry without the infinite loop of knockers and trolls.

Can AZB ever win them back? Can this forum ever change the atmosphere to be less toxic toward those who wish to share content? Clearly, "the internet is the internet," however, I think this forum can mimic many of the features of social media.

1) Invite all former and current top-ranked pro-level players back and give them moderator privileges in order to protect themselves. Someone can say, "Yeah, well, ____ posts here without problems." Sure -- I'm sure they do, but that's only because they can communicate in such a way on the forum that doesn't attract ridicule. Some players are insanely brilliant during play and knowledge, but they just can't convey it properly without the legion of pro-bashers and grammar police who come out of the woodwork. Should a player abuse that privilege, simply remove them from the player pool and the rights that go along with it.

2) Provide instructors their own sub-forums with moderator privileges within the sub-forum. Leave cesspool forums like "THE AIMING FORUM" be, just simply give instructors a private sub-forum from which to moderate their own discussion. That way, the 5 or 6 guys who pollute every single aiming thread can get kicked, allowing the group who want to learn....learn. Let instructors direct people from the aiming forum to his/her own sub-forum for uninterrupted discussion. Allow instructors to direct people from the Ask the Instructor forum to their own sub-forum for uninterrupted discussion.

Facebook does the above in spades. Users follow their content source and adhere to their rules. In exchange, they benefit from the knowledge. AZB can make a few microscopic changes that net huge beneficial results. Some people in this thread will say, "Mehhhhh... there isn't a problem." Some might even try to attack me for even suggesting such a thing. I think if 5 or 6 certain guys were locked out of CTE threads by Stan and unable to interfere with instruction, they'd go BERSERK because they'd be unable to troll and that's their favorite thing.

Can we get the top players to post here and change this brand from "NEVER" to "I LOVE IT THERE?"

Can we create environments in which people can learn without an endless stream of ridicule and debate?

By the way, I'm not saying create a combative-free environment. Forum wars have always driven most of the site traffic. I'm merely saying to create sub-forums that are moderated by content experts and players to create relaxing educational atmospheres free of any emotional combative energy for those who want to learn.
A couple quick comments on this...

While Facebook has definitely taken quite a bit of traffic from the forums, I find most of it is sanitized so that the top players don't have to see anything but "Wow, you are completely right. You are the best!!". If they do see dissenting posts, they simply unfriend that person and go about their business. I do think there can be such a thing as healthy conversation between people who disagree. I am not in any way saying that I think all of the conversation here is healthy.

I am completely open to the idea of having places where the top players can interact, but they have to be able to handle "respectful" criticism. I don't think giving them moderator privileges is the answer though. Some of them can't handle the complexities of Facebook. I really don't see them wanting to learn how to moderate a subforum here. They would want it to be as easy as possible for themselves and I don't have any problem with that. Some of us are better suited to moderate forums and some of us are better suited to bank a 9-ball in at hill-hill for thousands.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I noticed that you do website work for a living and know what you are talking about here.

Yes, we are running an outdated version of vbulletin. I have been hesitant to upgrade to version 4 or 5, because of concerns of plugin incompatibilities. I have been looking into the upgrade again though. I am also considering the idea of just migrating the entire forum to something like xenforo.

I am very interested in what plugins you are referring to when you talk about them making the moderation and dealing with trolls easier.

I am 100% opposed to the idea of "pay to play", Even with our gold membership, I have never been comfortable taking away something that users have always had, in order to make a buck.

Mike

That's been my experience too.. Well good news is there are things you can do and I'm just going to cut to the cheese because I should be doing something else.

I would suggest you get the admins here to update the software that the forum runs on. This is really holding back all the current options that could be used to do what your suggesting. As far as trolls go there are ways to deal with them. for example right now anybody can have an account and post whatever and in as many usernames as they want. This really needs to go to a pay to post.

Additional software that the site runs on is outdated and the thought of support is gone at the end of the year. These updates need to be done regardless to keep the place from being complete hack bait.

Instructors, pros, whatever. the user logins should be reviewed via database dump and the folks that are multi posting should be terminated.

I might be able to help with servers to do devel work on (it's a huge database I'm sure.). At the same time I'm pretty sure that Vbull will do the whole migration and template fixes. Not sure though..

AZ can also do the prove your a real person routine pretty easy now. again getting into posting levels.

I could go on..

(I ran this same software forever.)

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Just a quick heads up. Spider has made his accusations (whether he knows them to be true or not) and they have been answered by someone who would know much better than Spider what happened. I was in the process of cutting this whole section of the thread out, when I thought better of it and decided to leave the whole thing because I think it was answered well.

Lets let it drop now. I would much rather this thread stick to the original topic (whether it was meant as trolling or not).

Mike

Uh oh, get ready for an unhinged response with a bunch of bolded blue letters.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed that you do website work for a living and know what you are talking about here.

Yes, we are running an outdated version of vbulletin. I have been hesitant to upgrade to version 4 or 5, because of concerns of plugin incompatibilities. I have been looking into the upgrade again though. I am also considering the idea of just migrating the entire forum to something like xenforo.

I am very interested in what plugins you are referring to when you talk about them making the moderation and dealing with trolls easier.

I am 100% opposed to the idea of "pay to play", Even with our gold membership, I have never been comfortable taking away something that users have always had, in order to make a buck.

Mike

Mike,

It’s not necessarily about making a buck although you might in fact do that. What the pay to post will do is filter out the weeds. You could also grandfather in users who have been contributing to start off with a fall new member will be a pay to post. It would allow you to get a handle on things easier. Let internal bots filter language and key words and warn users automatically of behavior and only after say 3 warnings do you step in. Probably save you a ton of time and aggravation.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the mods enforced the rules it would at least be a start, but that doesn't happen often

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pros giving advice online is touchy.

Nobody can really fix problems by typing. Sure, there are "some" problems that can be fixed with a video but its a long back-and-forth method that gets really old really quick unless you have absolutely nothing else to do which is never the case with pro players or sought after instructors.

I like to talk with pro players but i love even more.....to play them. I learn much more by playing them (for cash) than i ever would by just chatting.

As for instruction from coaches:

Ive git a date with Mark Wilson next month. That should tell you hiw i feel about paying someone for instruction.

Jeff