Getting spotted balls..sometimes aint enough!!

quitecoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well im gona admit it...last night i got my azzzz handed to me..I was joking around with a friend of mine who is a really really good player here in Richmond we were sitting around and i was selling wolf tickets about him giving me a spot..I rattled out give me the break, the 5 out, 2 on the wire race to nine for 50$.. I was laughing when i said it he then replied ...okay..after you break the money balls dont count except the nine..i get ball in hand after your break and no soft breaking. I thought about for a second ...(in after thought i should have thought about if for two seconds) and I said hell i cant pass that up..so like a monkey i jumed from the tree...I soon realized that giving him ball in hand after my breaks was a mistake casue it took my break right out the game, i couldnt soft break so it couldnt really tie any balls up. needless to say when i did get a shot i ran out ..but i only got two shots so he beat me 9 to 5 . it was in good sprits ..no love lost..but i woke me up to be careful what i spit out my mouth and it also taught me how good this guy really was and how sometimes when you think your getting alot of weight in a game..your really not..anybody else have something happen like this happen to them..or do something like that to a sucker like me..ha ha ..i deserve some rep points for even telling this story..ha ha ha

ShaneT58

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I read you post correctly you were actually spotting him. None of the money balls count after your break and he gets ball in hand after your break. If you don't make a money ball on the break its just like giving him the breaks and ball in hand after the break. Doesn't make a whole lot of since to me.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ive seen this one used before....basically anybody who is a decent ghost player will make this game. Its actually better than the ghost because he doesnt have to run out completely, he can safe you on a tough shot and get ball in hand back.......

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have come to my own personal conclusion that the better shooter always has the advantage, no matter what the spot is. Massive spots SOUND good, until and actual game breaks out.

I thought I had a chance against a guy during a handicapped nine ball match, until I scratched on the break, gave him ball in hand, and he promptly ran out a nine ball rack.

Last edited:

wvroadrunner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
quitecoolguy said:
Well im gona admit it...last night i got my azzzz handed to me..I was joking around with a friend of mine who is a really really good player here in Richmond we were sitting around and i was selling wolf tickets about him giving me a spot..I rattled out give me the break, the 5 out, 2 on the wire race to nine for 50$.. I was laughing when i said it he then replied ...okay..after you break the money balls dont count except the nine..i get ball in hand after your break and no soft breaking. I thought about for a second ...(in after thought i should have thought about if for two seconds) and I said hell i cant pass that up..so like a monkey i jumed from the tree...I soon realized that giving him ball in hand after my breaks was a mistake casue it took my break right out the game, i couldnt soft break so it couldnt really tie any balls up. needless to say when i did get a shot i ran out ..but i only got two shots so he beat me 9 to 5 . it was in good sprits ..no love lost..but i woke me up to be careful what i spit out my mouth and it also taught me how good this guy really was and how sometimes when you think your getting alot of weight in a game..your really not..anybody else have something happen like this happen to them..or do something like that to a sucker like me..ha ha ..i deserve some rep points for even telling this story..ha ha ha

Where do you play/ j/k

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
I'm Not a Dr But

If I had spotted balls I'd seek immediate medical attention, and try to figure out who gave them to me in the first place.......:D

McCue Banger McCue

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Gregg said:
I have come to my own personal conclusion that the better shooter always has the advantage, no matter what the spot is. Massive spots SOUND good, until and actual game breaks out.

I thought I had a chance against a guy during a handicapped nine ball match, until I scratched on the break, gave him ball in hand, and he promptly ran out a nine ball rack.

Can't say as I agree with you on this one. There's a player who's tons better than me who offered me the breaks, the 4,5,7 and 8 in a race to 7 for 10. Lots of railbirds.

Guess who won??

Flex

P.S. After the first 5 shots into this match, he knew his goose was cooked.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
but if your playing for $10.......why go thru the hassel of coming up with a circus spot?.....just step up and play. if you get smoked, so be it....if you win a few.....>>>respect! and a way to guage yourself next time. if you don't want to throw the money away, play someone a little less on the totem pole.

Gerry <<< likes TCOM line...Hey Grady, up your ass with the spot!...ok with you?!:D

Harvywallbanger

Josh Eisert
Silver Member
yep, somehow you started with the 5 and out and ended up spotting him before it was said and done:eek: Oh...well, don't get mad get even. Play into him... Tell him since he beat you with the 5 and out you need more weight.:D AND THIS TIME NO BALL IN HAND AFTER THE BREAK AND PICK A SPOT TO WHERE THEY ACTUALLY COUNT IF YOU MAKE THEM.:)

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Gerry said:
but if your playing for $10.......why go thru the hassel of coming up with a circus spot?.....just step up and play. if you get smoked, so be it....if you win a few.....>>>respect! and a way to guage yourself next time. if you don't want to throw the money away, play someone a little less on the totem pole.

Gerry <<< likes TCOM line...Hey Grady, up your ass with the spot!...ok with you?!:D

Oh, but you don't understand the dynamics that were at play there!

This fellow can cream me. He ALWAYS offered me a spot.

So happens that I hadn't played him for a couple of months, he saw other guys getting the action, and he wanted some. It certainly wasn't a set for $10 for him, not a chance. He probably had taken bets from many of those railbirds, thinking he would give me a lot of weight, and still take me down. Make no mistake, the guy's a runout machine.

HE approached ME, OFFERING the spot. I knew I was going to win, but he foolishly offered it. What am I to do, say, naw, that's too big a spot??

So I played him my very best game, which isn't much, mind you. I started safeing him on the one ball from the get-go.

After those first four or five shots he started sharking me non-stop. A really nice guy. He was out for blood, but he didn't get mine.

Flex

quitecoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah...thanks everyone..for so nicely saying "Hey Quite..you dumbazzz it wasnt much of a spot." I figured that out half way thru the set..but hell it was only 50 and i really didnt think he was as good as he was..he has earned my respect..I wont play him again ..untill my game gets as good as his and then i will say i dont need or want the spot..but that will be in time.. Its just funny how it all unfolded..Afterwards another excellent shooter who stayed around to watch the set..told me...TOny your a hell of shooter..and very soon your gona catch up to alot of good pool players here..but tonight...you got out thunk and out played..by the way you should go ask the lady behind the bar do they have a Defibulator in here..cause your ass has been offically stalled..and he did the motion of putting the pads on my chess and yelled CLEAR. Everyone in the pool room who watched the set laughed the azz off..including my self..a couple of times..the word CLEAR was yelled out..it was all in good fun. Thanks for the replys..jus thought you would get a kick out of it.

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
quitecoolguy said:
Once I spotted a guy the break and whatever two balls he drew from a pill bottle. He drew the 2 and the 6 but it was surprising how little it helped him.

unknownpro

karambolista

noypi toits
Silver Member
quitecoolguy said:
..anybody else have something happen like this happen to them..or do something like that to a sucker like me..ha ha ..i deserve some rep points for even telling this story..ha ha ha

I gave this guy a spot were any ball that touches the rail is considered as a pocketed ball and I get the breaks. First game was just a $1 then he kept on doubling-up until I got him for $120 then he quit. There were a lot of times that the cue ball would touch the rail thus considered as a scratch and everytime I had a chance I'd 3 foul him. Next day, I was wearing a brand new shirt and shoes.:)

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
karambolista said:
I gave this guy a spot were any ball that touches the rail is considered as a pocketed ball and I get the breaks. First game was just a $1 then he kept on doubling-up until I got him for $120 then he quit. There were a lot of times that the cue ball would touch the rail thus considered as a scratch and everytime I had a chance I'd 3 foul him. Next day, I was wearing a brand new shirt and shoes.:)

That's my point here. Some guys do nothing but sit around and think up crafty spots to unleash on the unsuspecting. Trust me, I worked in a few rooms and I've seen a million strange games made. I have taken weight before, but it was either a ball/break/wire or number of balls in 14.1. Every time I saw a fish take a gaff bet they got beat. They always said the same thing.....I NEVER thought He could give me that much weight and win.

I'm all for making a fair game with a spot, but MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THE RAMIFICATIONS OF THE SPOT! before you lose your hard earned money.

Gerry

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
I had a incident happend like this a while back. I was just practicing before a friday nite tournament, and a guy i know comes in, and asks me if i wanna play a lil, and before i could say anything, he is like " You get 4 games and all the breaks, in a race to 9 for 10$" i was like ok. I have never really gambled for alot, its just the purpose of it meaning something.

Needless to say the first set i beat him 9-2.

Second set, i beat him 9-4.

before the third set, he was like, well i cant give you 4 games on the wire, and i said, ok, how about i get 2. And he agreed.

Third set, i wasnt playing great at all, and ended up winning 9-7.

Now the messed up thing was this guy and I basically play even. He rarely has ever beaten me. Several times in a tournament we have played and he will jump out and i just slowly creep back into the match and win on the hill.

Yet at the end of the nite, he was like man, i didnt think you would beat me that badly. And i turned to him and was well you basically made it impossible for you to have a chance by giving me all the breaks.

dave

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Spots

I remember the time where 'spot' was not mentioned for less than $50, and then, only the 8 or call 8 was given. For less than that, you just had
to STEP UP TO THE PLATE, and play even, or just sit on the sidelines until you felt you had enough game.

Spots used to ONLY INCREASE with the INCREASE of money being played for. Now, players spot rediculous spots for LOW MONEY, and have to run faster than a cheetah just to get there .... for what, $25, IT ISN'T WORTH
IT. Besides, it ruins the bigger action for the better player. A good player
never shows his true speed until IT REALLY COUNTS.

If you are NOT SMART ENOUGH to figure out how good I am, I figure it should cost you to find out. I usually tell all the nitpickers to go away until
they grow some balls.

We all start with a BRAIN, a cue, and some chalk. I jsut don't feel I should be punished because I use mine better.