Please take a quick look at my break and run video

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I completely understand your though process, but what I think you aren't taking into consideration in the first diagram is table speed. I actually tried to do something very similar to what you drew out, but there was no way that I could get to where your cue ball comes to rest without the cue ball hitting 2 rails. If I would have hit it so soft that the cue ball would have stopped where it did in your diagram, the 13 ball might not have made it into the pocket (it would have had to been a really light hit). My only option was to go two rails and come back out to that spot. I almost hit it perfect speed, but you will notice that I barely caught the 11 coming off the other rail. At that point I had to adjust my plan.
OK, glad to hear we're on the same page.

pj
chgo

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...and again here...

pj
chgo

View attachment 79281
From this point in the diagram, I knew that I could basically get a slightly better angle if I shot the 9 first and draw the cue ball back into the 8. I also wanted to get the 9 down since I knew that I could end up very close to where I started from anyway. I knew that it I wasn't going to be able to know exactly where the cue ball was going to end up after breaking out the 10 and I didn't want to end up in a position where I was left trying to maneuver around to try to get back to the 9 when it was right there from the beginning.

If you watch the rest of the rack, had I shot the 15 before the 9 and ended up close to where I did once I shot the 15, I would have had to come up with a way to get back on the 9.

However, in no way am I saying that the way I chose to run out was the "right way". It was just the right way for me because I know how I think and the different types of English I use when I play.

I'm sure that you probably could have played the balls the way that you diagramed them and gotten out as well.

Thanks for taking the time to review the video and thank you for pointing out that I possibly could have gotten out in a few different ways.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Kimmo H., one thing that can be done without actually altering the cut of the pockets is adjusting the rails outward slightly. You can loosen the rail bolts on your table, move the rails a quarter to half an inch inward or outward, and retighten the rail bolts. This will cause the pockets to be tighter or looser by up to a quarter to half an inch. It's usually pretty simple to adjust the rails with just the right size socket wrench.

Those are nbr# pocket irons, the ears of the irons slide into pretty drilled pocket ear holes in the ends of the rails....they are not adjustable in any way, shape, or form.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
From this point in the diagram, I knew that I could basically get a slightly better angle if I shot the 9 first and draw the cue ball back into the 8. I also wanted to get the 9 down since I knew that I could end up very close to where I started from anyway.
I would have taken the breakout shot here, leaving the 9 as one more possible outlet shot. It's hard to predict where the CB (or the 10) will end up after the breakout, and by this point your outlet shot options are getting slim.

But like you said, you have to play to your own strengths. Nice out!

pj
chgo

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the video and appreciate the edits as I am on mobile and it saves a little data on my cap. :)

You have great fundamentals and a very strong break.

The only thing I immediately noticed was what PJ has already mentioned about addressing trouble balls early.

I knew you were all business when I saw those black business socks. :thumbup:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I think you did a fine editing out the dead spots of the video to shorten it up. I also thought you did a fine job running out the rack. As far as I am concerned, if you ran out you played the rack the correct way. If you make more of these videos I would watch them. :)