Cue display questions

Rubikong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi All

I love the way Katana swords display. Can cue be display this way? Just butt section not the shafts
Maybe make four points support instead of two?

Thanks
Cencen

f1c61ced3f9c40ea26dc71c3c6121178.jpg

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
3 points would be plenty.
If the butt is cored, it probably does not matter if it's 2 or 3 points.
Make sure no heater vent is breathing on them.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That would be a great way to store them if you want them to warp. :)

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I think it's a clever idea and wouldn't worry me a bit. There's an easy way to find out for certain. Make a simple display & test some cheap cues on it for a while.

My thought on it is that wood moves from two causes. First is rapid moisture exchange, and second is internal stress that is often caused by the first. So long as your cues were made with trusty wood and your home is climate controlled, there shouldn't be an issue. I'm guessing that if you're displaying cues in the manner of Katana swords, they are likely pretty nice cues and your home is indeed climate controlled.

On another note, do you mind if I borrow the idea? :grin:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen cues displayed on those stands. It made me uneasy seeing it.

Lots of people have opinions on such things. I generally try to go with what the cuemakers think...

If unsure I have to ask myself if I really want to take frivolous chances with valuables.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Never store a cue in any position but vertical upright, in a case. Well, unless you like warped cues.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
there is also something called gravity.

Isn't that the core reason for the discussion?

In order for movement to happen, the cue would actually be defying gravity to lift away from one of the supports. Otherwise, if all three supports are parallel and in contact with the cue, it's inherently straight. If a cue is cradled and supported the way those swords are, except with a third center support, the only possible direction for a cue to warp is upwards against gravity. That's why I commented on the idea being clever.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My opinion is leave them that way long enough and you can flip them over and they will match the curve of the swords. I have seen cues just leaned against the wall and warp massively.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
My opinion is leave them that way long enough and you can flip them over and they will match the curve of the swords. I have seen cues just leaned against the wall and warp massively.

Leaning on the wall with the joint end supporting the weight is something else.
A jointed cue leaning on the wall is definitely a no-no.

This one looks like the two support points are less than two feet apart.
Add a third support, and as Eric said, it would have to defy gravity to warp.

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
3 outrigger supports only works if the stand is fabricated flawless and the cue actually rests against the supports in all 3 spots.

There is no arrangement of 2 outrigger supports that will be without significant deflection.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
3 outrigger supports only works if the stand is fabricated flawless and the cue actually rests against the supports in all 3 spots.

There would need to be soft cushion supports at each point to accommodate any variances. That would be a necessity anyway if he's going to display cues with compound taper like SW. Best would be to have a countersunk set screw in each position to adjust the height of the cushion to fir a specific cue.

Rubikong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's a clever idea and wouldn't worry me a bit. There's an easy way to find out for certain. Make a simple display & test some cheap cues on it for a while.

My thought on it is that wood moves from two causes. First is rapid moisture exchange, and second is internal stress that is often caused by the first. So long as your cues were made with trusty wood and your home is climate controlled, there shouldn't be an issue. I'm guessing that if you're displaying cues in the manner of Katana swords, they are likely pretty nice cues and your home is indeed climate controlled.

On another note, do you mind if I borrow the idea? :grin:

I would try it for sure. By all means pls go ahead and build one and post it
I think it will look nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dunno... looks like those katanas have started taking a bow from the display stand....:grin:

I would not put it where there is sunlight as many woods darken with exposure to sunlight, and you'll see lighter spots where the cues rest.

Maybe a better idea would be a rotisserie, like a watch winder, that rotates the cue constantly... that would be cool!