RIP Cyclop?????

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been hearing some scuttle that Cyclop as a brand is dead and Diamond will now be using Aramith balls. Apparently the Cyclop resin formula will only be used in Dynasphere balls. Anyone else hear anything?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
my buddy is getting a brand new diamond and didnt mention anything like that, as he wants the cycrap set with it

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t like their skittle color choices so I ignore them as a brand.

I assume you’re talking about this post from Scott Frost...

https://www.facebook.com/100006153870736/posts/2657794404435663/?extid=9WOymJDQCss0Txb8&d=n

QUOTE: Scott Frost
GREAT NEWS! How long have I been preaching to YOU ALL about the horrific quality of Cyclops balls? I don’t do it for the fun of it, I do it because I know and have been educated by the executives of major ball making companies and want you to get THE MOST out of your hard work and pool games! CYCLOPS IS OUT! Thank the lord THE DERBY CITY CLASSIC IS BACK USING THE BEST POOL BALLS ON EARTH ARAMITH! If you need or want a set of Aramiths you can PM me and I will get you a discount as I’m about to make a big order with the company CEO who is a sponsor. Yes these balls are pricey but there’s a reason they are used in ALL majors. There is not ONE real Cyclops ball on earth that rolls perfectly straight and I’m willing to bet my new home on it. To keep costs down on these balls (made in China) they would use anything and everything as a filler to fill the ball. This means that certain areas we’re ALWAYS heavier than others. There’s about 5 other big issues that I’m not going into but I really hope you all treat yourself to the TRUTH and that is Aramith Duramith Pro Cup Tournament Pool Balls! Message me if you want to get in on this big order I’m making in a week.

I will try to make this story short. TWO YEARS AGO AT DERBY CITY Danny Smith and I played a set for 40k. The first night as many as 3 dozen people were watching and the table was rolling something terrible. I mean a full ball in most spots and Danny and I were in shock. But all the tables were taken so we couldn’t switch and a ton of spectators were telling us to quit until it gets leveled. So later that night when our time limit was up Greg Sullivan asked me if he could level the table before we started the next morning. I was all for it! So as Greg’s looking at the table around noon the next day with two dozen people standing there he comes over and whispers to me “that the table was dead on level already”. Well, he whispered this because he was promoting Cyclops and didn’t want to be but it was the balls that were rolling off. Just so happens that Ray Hansen had a spare set of Aramiths in the TV room and we grabbed those and guess what, “the table rolled perfect”. ~The End

Look guys, this was NEVER to slam Cyclops but I’m also not going to sugar coat the issue. A lot of us play for a living and when a new product is introduced we the players will dissect it. Immediately after introducing these balls years back most ALL the top players were commenting on the coatings of the cue balls and object balls by how they don’t grip the rails. But that was all we noticed on day one. By day two we could clearly see something else was seriously wrong because we could actually see the object balls turning wrong directions even with the naked eye. Now, imagine you know what these balls are filled with and imagine that you are playing for a small house or nice car. Would you be excited to use them? I’m just grateful someone else spoke up which gives me a platform to follow up on. I just want the best products for the people.

QUOTE: Donny Mills
Finally! The only people that liked these balls are people that don’t know shit about pool!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
You heard right about Diamond not using Cyclop or Dynasphere's! Actually, think you might be right on all points! ;)

TFT

Been hearing some scuttle that Cyclop as a brand is dead and Diamond will now be using Aramith balls. Apparently the Cyclop resin formula will only be used in Dynasphere balls. Anyone else hear anything?

Attachments

• trent diamond card.jpg
    trent diamond card.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,589

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, all those threads, and all those posts. How does that crow taste? You know who you are!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I never understood how there could be so many opposite opinions on these balls. I never saw a reason to use them and am glad I didn't.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember my first experience with the original Cyclop cue ball. We were using them for the first time in a major tournament in Vegas and the cue ball was rolling in a curved path as it slowed down. I pointed this out to the company rep who was there and he told me everything was okay (it was caused by table roll), when I could clearly see it wasn't. He implied that I was seeing things. After another day using these cue balls, they were finally replaced and the same rep said it was an isolated case of a bad set of cue balls and that wouldn't ever happen again.

I lost all faith in that company and those balls from that moment on and would never use them in any tournament I produced or directed. I personally have four sets of pool balls in my home that I alternate using and Cyclop is not one of them. Unlike Scott, I don't know anything about how they are made and I can only go by my personal experience. Anecdotal evidence is that they did solve the problem with the cue balls, but the other constant changes in appearance and design did nothing to cause me to want to use them again.

Last edited:
I remember my first experience with the original Cyclop cue ball. We were using them for the first time in a major tournament in Vegas and the cue ball was rolling in a curved path as it slowed down. I pointed this out to the company rep who was there and he told me everything was okay (it was caused by table roll), when I could clearly see it wasn't. He implied that I was seeing things. After another day using these cue balls, they were finally replaced and the same rep said it was an isolated case of a bad set of cue balls and that wouldn't ever happen again.

I lost all faith in that company and those balls from that moment on and would never use them in any tournament I produced or directed. I personally have four sets of pool balls in my home that I alternate using and Cyclop is not one of them. Unlike Scott, I don't know anything about how they are made and I can only go by my personal experience. Anecdotal evidence is that they did solve the problem with the cue balls, but the other constant changes in appearance and design did nothing to cause me to want to use them again.

Justin Bergman posted on facebook, today, or yesterday, saying this.

"I remember playing Shannon Daulton in final 4 of Derby One Pocket 2-3 years ago and we went to lag and his lag crossed over to my side. No joke the ball rolled off like a foot and a half lol. Table was level it was these balls. They gave us a set of Aramith to use. Thank God people are starting to realize this. Only in pool do we play on shit equipment in the biggest tournaments."

He then showed this post from "Scott Frost", and "Chris Renfro", showing some Cyclop balls that were split down the middle, and saying that Diamond is going back to using Aramith balls again.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2657794361102334&set=pcb.2657794404435663&type=3&theater

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a set. I wanted something different for at home and actually like the skittles colors. Never had an issue lol I can pocket balls fine with them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree Jay. If you don't know how to properly make the ball having a great resin formula won't help much. I think they did finally solve their issues but i'm just an old die-hard Aramith guy. I do like the new Predator(by Aramith) balls also.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, all those threads, and all those posts. How does that crow taste? You know who you are!

I don't care what SF says.

I have owned three sets of Cyclop and they all played perfectly AND stayed way cleaner during the course of play than Aramiths. Now he's telling horror stories and coincidentally selling Aramiths, lol.

I'm not saying every set that came out of China was perfect but I've watched and played *plenty* of matches at my home room and at the DCC and still believe Cyclop are a great set of balls.

Lou Figueroa
not selling anythin'

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Our pool room purchased a set of ":Skittles" Cyclop balls. We have quite a few players going to both SBE and the Vegas BCAPL / USAPL events. Both use those ball sets. At least they did. Checked the SBE site. Only mentions Diamond and Simonis.

Lyn

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dynasphere

Guess I will have to speak up. Impulse buy a few weeks or a month back, I bought a set of the Dynasphere Tungsten balls. Cheapest they offer but they claim a high quality resin just like the other Dynasphere balls which range up to $350-$400 dollars. This set off of e-bay was about fifty-five dollars plus tax, free shipping which of course is included in the price.

I have played over a hundred racks with these balls and dropped a few of them on moderately rough concrete. Not a mark on them from bouncing on concrete which I find amazing. They roll true and react like they should to collisions with each other and the cushions. The one fault, with poor lighting and my old eyes I'm not crazy about some of the colors. Hard to see edges in low light. A total of eight balls are different than what we consider standard colors now. The brown seven ball does seem like an old friend though. Gray balls, WTF?

These balls are made in china with oversight from Belgium. I was under the impression they were from Belgium when I bought them. I would happily knock chinese balls if I could. However, judging by this one set, they do seem to be high quality phenolic and a great deal. I was planning to buy the gold or platinum set after trying this cheap set but I can't see any reason to. These balls do everything I want for home use and are better than what I play with at local halls and bars.

No knowledge of if the DynaSphere and Cyclop balls are related except in this thread but I can't fault DynaSphere balls with my very limited experience with one set of the cheapest line. I would prefer gambling any amount with this set compared to any "set" at the best hall around here. I have noticed between customers careless with balls, balls mixed when cleaning, and replacing balls that disappear, that the "sets" of balls at the hall where some matches have been played with $100,000 in the middle, aren't sets at all anymore!

Let your political beliefs decide if you want to support china, and be warned about the colors. However, I have to think that claims of filler and unbalanced balls from DynaSphere are likely to be BS. Certainly no indication of that in this cheap set.

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess I will have to speak up. Impulse buy a few weeks or a month back, I bought a set of the Dynasphere Tungsten balls. Cheapest they offer but they claim a high quality resin just like the other Dynasphere balls which range up to $350-$400 dollars. This set off of e-bay was about fifty-five dollars plus tax, free shipping which of course is included in the price.

I have played over a hundred racks with these balls and dropped a few of them on moderately rough concrete. Not a mark on them from bouncing on concrete which I find amazing. They roll true and react like they should to collisions with each other and the cushions. The one fault, with poor lighting and my old eyes I'm not crazy about some of the colors. Hard to see edges in low light. A total of eight balls are different than what we consider standard colors now. The brown seven ball does seem like an old friend though. Gray balls, WTF?

These balls are made in china with oversight from Belgium. I was under the impression they were from Belgium when I bought them. I would happily knock chinese balls if I could. However, judging by this one set, they do seem to be high quality phenolic and a great deal. I was planning to buy the gold or platinum set after trying this cheap set but I can't see any reason to. These balls do everything I want for home use and are better than what I play with at local halls and bars.

No knowledge of if the DynaSphere and Cyclop balls are related except in this thread but I can't fault DynaSphere balls with my very limited experience with one set of the cheapest line. I would prefer gambling any amount with this set compared to any "set" at the best hall around here. I have noticed between customers careless with balls, balls mixed when cleaning, and replacing balls that disappear, that the "sets" of balls at the hall where some matches have been played with $100,000 in the middle, aren't sets at all anymore!

Let your political beliefs decide if you want to support china, and be warned about the colors. However, I have to think that claims of filler and unbalanced balls from DynaSphere are likely to be BS. Certainly no indication of that in this cheap set.

Hu
XingBing is actually the maker of both Cyclop and the Dynasphere balls. It looks like Cyclop is going away and the outfit in Belgium that owns Dynasphere will have the rights to sell balls using their resin process. That Belgian outfit is part of Loontjens Billiards and they've been around forever. They own Gabriels tables, Molinari cues and now Dynasphere balls. https://www.loontjens.com/en/service/about/

Last edited:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't care what SF says.

I have owned three sets of Cyclop and they all played perfectly AND stayed way cleaner during the course of play than Aramiths. Now he's telling horror stories and coincidentally selling Aramiths, lol.

I'm not saying every set that came out of China was perfect but I've watched and played *plenty* of matches at my home room and at the DCC and still believe Cyclop are a great set of balls.

Lou Figueroa
not selling anythin'

Agree. The cyclop skittles set I had for several years was the best set of balls I've ever used. I "upgraded" to centennials and hated them. Like a fool I sold the cyclop balls before trying the centennials for awhile. I quickly replaced them with the Dynasphere tungstens I got a couple of months ago, and the tungstens are every bit as good as, or better than, the cyclop balls I had before. They aren't the prettiest set around, but they play top notch and stay super clean. Been using them a few months now, maybe 80 hours of table time with them, and I can't remember a single skid... something that was a daily occurrence at least with the centennials.

Haters are going to hate, but you can't fault the quality.

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree. The cyclop skittles set I had for several years was the best set of balls I've ever used. I "upgraded" to centennials and hated them. I quickly replaced them with the Dynasphere tungstens I got a couple of months ago, and the tungstens are every bit as good as, or better than, the cyclop balls I had before. They aren't the prettiest set around, but they play top notch and stay super clean. Been using them a few months now, maybe 80 hours of table time with them, and I can't remember a single skid... something that was a daily occurrence at least with the centennials.

Haters are going to hate, but you can't fault the quality.

There might be something to this skid problem. My friend cleans his Tournament balls every day before we play. Last week he had a skid after 4 or 5 games but none after that.

As for Cyclop balls, I’ve seen several skittles crack, they are cheap as balls. I have played numerous times with the Hyperion balls and never noticed anything funny about the balls other than the colors. I also had skids with them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All you Cyclop guys should be happy. The formulation will still be around and the balls you now own are collectors items. Sounds like a win-win to me. ;) Looks like you won't be getting Dyna's with Diamond tables tho.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All you Cyclop guys should be happy. The formulation will still be around and the balls you now own are collectors items. Sounds like a win-win to me. ;) Looks like you won't be getting Dyna's with Diamond tables tho.

I had used my Centennials forever..... bought the Hypers just to try them out. Never thinking i would stay with them.