Billiard Trade Cards

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't recall a thread about these before. This particular trade card is up for sale now in Ebay. It is about 2.5x4.5 inches and estimated to be from the 1880s.

CropperCapture[597].jpg

Interesting that the location is given relative to a livery stable.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I don't recall a thread about these before. This particular trade card is up for sale now in Ebay. It is about 2.5x4.5 inches and estimated to be from the 1880s.

View attachment 552693

Interesting that the location is given relative to a livery stable.

Wow! Really interesting - Bloomfield Ave in Montclair is quite different than what it probably looked like in the 1880s in terms of the development and suburban sprawl of Essex County in particular. Wonder if I can find the old address.

Edit: based on this source, it looks like 580 Bloomfield Ave, Montclair, NJ (page 154 of the PDF). http://www.digifind-it.com/montclair/data/cd/1897.pdf

It's still a Tobacco shop! (Also note the card advertises "Segars" - didn't know that was a once-used spelling). Albazar has been there for many years. Montclair is well known for its restaurant scene in New Jersey, and this is sort of at the tail end of the "Downtown" portion of Bloomfield Ave, which is Montclair's main thoroughfare. Certainly not where one expects to find a livery stable nowadays (although New Jersey has a robust equestrian community, believe it or not).

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow! Really interesting - Bloomfield Ave in Montclair is quite different than what it probably looked like in the 1880s. Wonder if I can find the old address.
No street address on the card, I see. Should be easy to find the livery stable -- just follow the horses going home.:thumbup:

9ballrob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are a few from my collection.

Attachments

• thumbnail_Image-6.jpg
    thumbnail_Image-6.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 157
  • thumbnail_Image-4.jpg
    thumbnail_Image-4.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 160
  • thumbnail_Image-5.jpg