Deluxe Cue Smith Lathe on Ebay

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like between $3300 to $3500 retail value on it all. $2200 opening bid is a great price. Someone will get a deal.

JIMMY L

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cueman said:
Looks like between $3300 to $3500 retail value on it all. $2200 opening bid is a great price. Someone will get a deal.
Chris, is this lathe from 2007? Thanks

dave sutton

Banned
chucks seem a little rusty. ive had mine 6 months with no changes. will this be a problem. lathe is about 2 hours away from me

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
dave sutton said:
chucks seem a little rusty. ive had mine 6 months with no changes. will this be a problem. lathe is about 2 hours away from me
The rust won't bother them as long as you open and close them once in a while. Mopst of my lathe chucks are rusty in my shop. I knew a guy who chrome plated his chucks because he hates rusty looking equipment.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I asked the seller if there was any damage, especially to the bed. He replied that everything was intact. I use a deluxe daily for various tasks & find the machine to be endlessly versatile & useful. It has become a staple machine in my shop. I was going to bid up to $2500 for this lathe but his answer to my question seemed eerily vague. I know these machines well, have had several of Hightowers gadgets & lathe beds. The bed is the heart & soul of the deluxe, and without it in 100% condition the lathe is worthless. I have seen & had many "intact" beds that had dents, dings, gouges that severely hendered carriage movement & accuracy. I'm not knocking the guy's sale or trying to be an a$$. But if anybody is thinking of bidding, ask thorough questions & get some clear answers before bidding. The machine might be great, probably is. Just be sure it is before buying. CYA in case you need to make a claim. As is, the machine could be a pile of crap & still be exactly as described. There's lots of things listed extra, but nothing as to the condition of the machine itself, not even when asked. That threw red flags up for me.

dave sutton

Banned
thats why i always tell ppl to deal withh chris directly. atleast then you know what you are getting. plus chris is such a great guy id rather give him the extra money anyway.

bubsbug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
qbilder said:
I asked the seller if there was any damage, especially to the bed. He replied that everything was intact. I use a deluxe daily for various tasks & find the machine to be endlessly versatile & useful. It has become a staple machine in my shop. I was going to bid up to $2500 for this lathe but his answer to my question seemed eerily vague. I know these machines well, have had several of Hightowers gadgets & lathe beds. The bed is the heart & soul of the deluxe, and without it in 100% condition the lathe is worthless. I have seen & had many "intact" beds that had dents, dings, gouges that severely hendered carriage movement & accuracy. I'm not knocking the guy's sale or trying to be an a$$. But if anybody is thinking of bidding, ask thorough questions & get some clear answers before bidding. The machine might be great, probably is. Just be sure it is before buying. CYA in case you need to make a claim. As is, the machine could be a pile of crap & still be exactly as described. There's lots of things listed extra, but nothing as to the condition of the machine itself, not even when asked. That threw red flags up for me.

Well heres my thought. Why are you so negative? Could it be that you want it for yourself, I doubt it, you seem very nice. Perhaps it could be that the seller knows nothing about this equiptment. Judging by the rust on the chucks, I doubt this machine has seen much use. Even some of the packaging looks un opened, and the blanks are still square.

Since Dave is only 2 hr away, lets pay him to go and check it out. Ill pay the first $20 provided 15 others do so as well. Or perhaps he could go volentarly and check it out and give a factual account of the equiptment.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Or it could be hes just asking the right questions.
EBay is a haven for scam artists and as he said, the lathe bed is the heart of
a lathe and it would be a shame if any one of us invested that kind of money and got hooped. I considered the lathe but apprehensive as well and like Dave said, I'd rather wait and put the money in Chris's pocket when the time is right.

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dave sutton said:
Dave if your living in AC it would probably be 3-4 hours
Just two lane highways up in that area
Marcus (Fast and Loose) probably under an hour away

JIMMY L

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great deal

I was really thinking of buying this lathe and have asked the seller many questions. I asked him his name to have Chris check the back ground on this lathe and it was sold in April 2007. I also asked about the bed of the lathe and he said the lathe has no problems.

I told him I would take it for the $2200+$75.00 shipping and he knows it will cost more to ship it then $75.00 and told me he will eat the cost of the extra shipping that has to say something about the seller. To me it sounds like he doesn't want to end the auction and see how it goes.

I think this is a great deal for this machine and the extras you will get. I'm going to wait and spend the extra money and buy a brand new one from Chris when I'm ready. Good luck if you bid on the auction I dont think you will have any problems.

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
bubsbug said:
Well heres my thought. Why are you so negative? Could it be that you want it for yourself, I doubt it, you seem very nice. Perhaps it could be that the seller knows nothing about this equiptment. Judging by the rust on the chucks, I doubt this machine has seen much use. Even some of the packaging looks un opened, and the blanks are still square.

Since Dave is only 2 hr away, lets pay him to go and check it out. Ill pay the first $20 provided 15 others do so as well. Or perhaps he could go volentarly and check it out and give a factual account of the equiptment.

Why am I negative? Are you serious? I'm not being negative. I got a vague answer to a legitimate question & it threw up red flags. I thought i'd warn other buyers. No, I don't want that machine. If the guy is scamming, it's bad. If he's too unknowledgeable to asnswer my question, it's also bad & indicates he wouldn't even know if it is damaged. So it's a 1:3 ratio as I see it. One it might be ok. The other two chances are it's not ok because either he's scamming or he's clueless. I play the odds. It's not rocket science. I'll give anybody a chance, but not if it's a blind chance that costs me $2500. That's just stupid.

bubsbug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
qbilder said:
Why am I negative? Are you serious? I'm not being negative. I got a vague answer to a legitimate question & it threw up red flags. I thought i'd warn other buyers. No, I don't want that machine. If the guy is scamming, it's bad. If he's too unknowledgeable to asnswer my question, it's also bad & indicates he wouldn't even know if it is damaged. So it's a 1:3 ratio as I see it. One it might be ok. The other two chances are it's not ok because either he's scamming or he's clueless. I play the odds. It's not rocket science. I'll give anybody a chance, but not if it's a blind chance that costs me $2500. That's just stupid.

Negative, Are you really serious?? When communicating with this guy it obvious he has no idea what he is talking about. He said bed was intat, what else do you need. Its kind like a cue maker saying he has a solid cue. Cue makers understand this but lay people dont. You also said that this sends up red flags all over the place.

I appreciate that your trying to have an open dialog on this form about this product, but I wonder how many people you have detured from potentially buying this product. In my opinion I think that this was a negative way to go about it.

I understand that ebay is victorous for scams but thats this risk you take. Its all about risk/reward. Personally if you are only saving a couple hundreds dollars I would buy from the manufacture. But if it were say $ 1000-$1500 I would take the risk. The Bed can be purchased, thats not the issue, but at what cost.

I believe that the machine is good and if at the right price will make some one very happy.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
If you want the lathe buy it. If not, don't buy. If you want to start an arguement of opinions, go away & try it elsewhere. I know what it's like getting a "great deal" on equipment, and warned others who may not have had enough experience or knowledge to make a wise judgement call. But next to your infinite wisdom & vast cuemaking experiences, i'm nobody to be offering advice. I'm just negative.

Fact is, the lathe condition is questionable at best, and in the pictures looks to be uncared for. Well oiled machines don't rust. Wet ones stuck in a basement do. A lathe bed "intact" means it's not broken into pieces, but that word completely avoids mentioning smoothness, nicks, bends, dents, dings, scratches, gouges, etc. I'd bet my nickle the lathe is in 50% original condition & requires more than minor maintenance to become fully & accurately operational. Again, who am I to say? I haven't owned 15 lathes or built 500 cues......or have I?

If me being negative saves a newbie from losing his ass, then it's a justified negativity. And before you go arguing & baffling yourself with your own self righteous bullsh!t again, read my first post thoroughly. I never told anybody not to buy. I said I was no longer interested & gave my reasoning. I then advised others to communicate very cleary with the seller before committing. That's sound advice any day of the week. I never told anybody not to buy it. So get a grip on your troublemaking ways. You sure like to stir enough crap. At least know what the f#ck you are talking about next time you try to preach.

bubsbug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
qbilder said:
If you want the lathe buy it. If not, don't buy. If you want to start an arguement of opinions, go away & try it elsewhere. I know what it's like getting a "great deal" on equipment, and warned others who may not have had enough experience or knowledge to make a wise judgement call. But next to your infinite wisdom & vast cuemaking experiences, i'm nobody to be offering advice. I'm just negative.

Fact is, the lathe condition is questionable at best, and in the pictures looks to be uncared for. Well oiled machines don't rust. Wet ones stuck in a basement do. A lathe bed "intact" means it's not broken into pieces, but that word completely avoids mentioning smoothness, nicks, bends, dents, dings, scratches, gouges, etc. I'd bet my nickle the lathe is in 50% original condition & requires more than minor maintenance to become fully & accurately operational. Again, who am I to say? I haven't owned 15 lathes or built 500 cues......or have I?

If me being negative saves a newbie from losing his ass, then it's a justified negativity. And before you go arguing & baffling yourself with your own self righteous bullsh!t again, read my first post thoroughly. I never told anybody not to buy. I said I was no longer interested & gave my reasoning. I then advised others to communicate very cleary with the seller before committing. That's sound advice any day of the week. I never told anybody not to buy it. So get a grip on your troublemaking ways. You sure like to stir enough crap. At least know what the f#ck you are talking about next time you try to preach.

Lathe Is questional at best? Dude, you have no idea what you are talking anout! You can not determine this from the pics. The pics are in great shape. You say this because you see a little rust on the chucks, Eventhough the manufacture states "The rust won't bother them as long as you open and close them once in a while. Mopst of my lathe chucks are rusty in my shop. I knew a guy who chrome plated his chucks because he hates rusty looking equipment". Now it doesn't take very long at all for these little chucks to rust. Put a little wax on them and they stay clean a lot longer. The chucks can be diassembled and cleaned, does this count for light maintaince. I know, it may take 1 hr to do and your time is worth $1000 an hour so perhaps your right, it's junk buy new. But for the more relastic people it might be great. Uncared for, dose that mean not used. Ill take a lathe that hasn't been used over one that is warn out due to use any day. Rust is easily cleaned, the machine was purchased in 07.

Can you put your money where your mouth is. Since you are in the betting mood, Ill take you up on your bet and I will even let you pick your posion. First, we have to decide on what light mantaince and 50% of new condition is. Now, for your oun indulgence, I never said that you told anyone not to buy it, point blank. It was my opinion that you expressed unfactual information in a negative way. You swaded peoples opinion who otherwise was thinking about bidding. How can you not see the negativity in that. You are biasised and are only thinking about your group, "Cue makers". Low and behold though, if you were trying to sell a cue, and I poped up and said things that detured people from purchasing YOUR cue, I would be the no count SOB. Why is it that you only see one side of the fence. Negativity can be good or bad depending on the view point. What do you think the guy selling the lathe would have to say.

Furthermore, I am wondering why you chose to make this statement, if you really didnt have some sort of guilty conscience of some kind! "I'm not knocking the guy's sale or trying to be an a$$".
If one feels the need to make a justifiable remark like this, the one needs to reconsider there statement.

Last edited:

dave sutton

Banned
chuckpilegis said:
Dave if your living in AC it would probably be 3-4 hours
Just two lane highways up in that area
Marcus (Fast and Loose) probably under an hour away

i put it in maps on my iphone and it is 2 hours away. reguardless ill pass

dchristal

Senior
Silver Member
Your mom's calling

bubsbug said:
Lathe Is questional at best? Dude, you have no idea what you are talking anout! You can not determine this from the pics. The pics are in great shape. You say this because you see a little rust on the chucks, Eventhough the manufacture states "The rust won't bother them as long as you open and close them once in a while. Mopst of my lathe chucks are rusty in my shop. I knew a guy who chrome plated his chucks because he hates rusty looking equipment". Now it doesn't take very long at all for these little chucks to rust. Put a little wax on them and they stay clean a lot longer. The chucks can be diassembled and cleaned, does this count for light maintaince. I know, it may take 1 hr to do and your time is worth $1000 an hour so perhaps your right, it's junk buy new. But for the more relastic people it might be great. Uncared for, dose that mean not used. Ill take a lathe that hasn't been used over one that is warn out due to use any day. Rust is easily cleaned, the machine was purchased in 07.

Can you put your money where your mouth is. Since you are in the betting mood, Ill take you up on your bet and I will even let you pick your posion. First, we have to decide on what light mantaince and 50% of new condition is. Now, for your oun indulgence, I never said that you told anyone not to buy it, point blank. It was my opinion that you expressed unfactual information in a negative way. You swaded peoples opinion who otherwise was thinking about bidding. How can you not see the negativity in that. You are biasised and are only thinking about your group, "Cue makers". Low and behold though, if you were trying to sell a cue, and I poped up and said things that detured people from purchasing YOUR cue, I would be the no count SOB. Why is it that you only see one side of the fence. Negativity can be good or bad depending on the view point. What do you think the guy selling the lathe would have to say.

Furthermore, I am wondering why you chose to make this statement, if you really didnt have some sort of guilty conscience of some kind! "I'm not knocking the guy's sale or trying to be an a$$".
If one feels the need to make a justifiable remark like this, the one needs to reconsider there statement.

Dude, I think it's time for your nap. After that, please consider offering useful information, if you have any.

Regards,

David

shotmaker

Banned
Deluxe cuesmith

I'll bet it was someone from here that bought that lathe. Looks like someone got a good deal.
Whoever "poolwiz101" is lol:grin-square: :yeah:

Rich Irving

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shotmaker said:
I'll bet it was someone from here that bought that lathe. Looks like someone got a good deal.
Whoever "poolwiz101" is lol:grin-square: :yeah:

I go by that name on e-bay and was able to pick this lathe up at a good price I hope. But to read some of the comments about it who knows.