Oldest (still operating) pool rooms in U.S.

taylor9ball

Registered
If I were going to travel across the U.S. and wanted to visit the oldest pool rooms that are still running, which rooms would you forum members suggest?

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were going to travel across the U.S. and wanted to visit the oldest pool rooms that are still running, which rooms would you forum members suggest?

Well, Lucky Cue in Phoenix, AZ has been around for quite some time (1960s?). It used to be a pool player's hall.
Now I believe that due to a demographic shift, it now has a nightclub in one area—although it STILL does have pool tables that can be used.

This also happened to Hawaiian Brian's in Honolulu, Hawaii. There is now a significant area of this pool room devoted to musical entertainment.
This just goes to show how pool has waned and other more lucrative ventures have been pursued by creative and flexible establishments.

In the case of Hawaiian Brian's, the care of the pool tables has virtually been ignored, save for a few gambling tables in the "outer back" area.
I witnessed this first-hand just 8 months ago when I visited O'ahu. It was sad to see this pool room decay as it did.:frown:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, Lucky Cue in Phoenix, AZ has been around for quite some time (1960s?). It used to be a pool player's hall.
Now I believe that due to a demographic shift, it now has a nightclub in one area—although it STILL does have pool tables that can be used.

This also happened to Hawaiian Brian's in Honolulu, Hawaii. There is now a significant area of this pool room devoted to musical entertainment.
This just goes to show how pool has waned and other more lucrative ventures have been pursued by creative and flexible establishments.

In the case of Hawaiian Brian's, the care of the pool tables has virtually been ignored, save for a few gambling tables in the "outer back" area.
I witnessed this first-hand just 8 months ago when I visited O'ahu. It was sad to see this pool room decay as it did.:frown:
Brian's still needs attention when it comes to table care. I play there almost every Sunday and the tables are usually filthy. I hope when all the construction is done they will concentrate on fixing up the pool tables and keeping them in shape.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
If you travel south from Washington through California, you would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not stop by The Jointed Cue in Sacramento. I don't know about being straight-up old, but I do know there is A TON of history in that room. Hell, you can walk in and look at it on the walls, one picture at a time. I'm sure you'd recognize more than just a few people in those photographs.

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old pool rooms

I think Romines in Milwaukee is still in operation. At least 50 years. Terry has passed on in recent times

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Percy's in Paragould Arkansas has been inthe same building Since the early 1900's. I was just there last week.

Seth Overton is the manager currently. They have live music on the weekends.

Ray

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Old pool halls

Thanks for starting this thread!

As one of the "older" players, I love this kind of stuff!

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian's still needs attention when it comes to table care. I play there almost every Sunday and the tables are usually filthy. I hope when all the construction is done they will concentrate on fixing up the pool tables and keeping them in shape.

Seriously, I don't know how Hawaii maintains any sort of a pool community. I was there for two weeks last month and not only is there very little pool (none in Maui), there's almost no desire to be indoors or out at night. I'm sure it's different on O'ahu but can't imagine it's anything like New York.

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
Golden Cue in Albany, NY

The Golden Cue in Albany, NY has been open since 1963. Great room and even better owner.

Stan

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sport Palace in New Orleans

Goes back to 1950s I believe, but you better have some armed guards with you if you plan a visit now days, things have taken changes for the worse, lol !

Andrewk1988

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't forget Raytown Rec in the Kansas City, MO area. Classic pool room feel in the basement of a hardware store. Been around since the 60s, maybe earlier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you travel south from Washington through California, you would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not stop by The Jointed Cue in Sacramento. I don't know about being straight-up old, but I do know there is A TON of history in that room. Hell, you can walk in and look at it on the walls, one picture at a time. I'm sure you'd recognize more than just a few people in those photographs.

Was about to mention them... Seeing as pool halls come and go so often, the Jointed Cue has been in Sac for a long time. It's a great place for a burger and a game of pool. Would like to see the place since the new owners took over. Haven't been up there since. It's definitely historic to the California pool scene.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody know how long Steinways in Queens has been around?

Around here, I think the House of Billiards in Santa Monica has been around for a long time