Earl Strickland vs an 11 year old girl

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB536hFgp8U

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but I just ran across it on YouTube. From what I can tell, Earl spotted her 8 games in a race to 10.

Wonder what was the bet?

She can kick pretty well. Funny when Earl busts her chops for using a jump cue

EDIT: I guess it was a tournament. I wonder how much she donated bc she definitely had no chance at the money. Almost slopped in the nine though, that might have made Earl sweat a little bit

Last edited:

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I thought it was nice he gave her 8.

There are some nice shots of his stroke in here. (I had to watch him with that monster cue onna 7ft. ) :grin:
What was going on with his tip after the match?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once she gets a bit of height she will be a pretty good player. Whoever taught here did a good job.

krychekrowe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That match was from Interpool Open, a tournament held in Marcus Chamats room in Gävle, Sweden. She "donated" 100$, that's how much the entry fee is. She'll be a great player if she continues to play, She's cool. Not afraid of anyone.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
15:18 the girl comes with an impressive full table jump over the nine ball to make a good hit on the eight. The audience claps.

Earl comes to the table...

"I would've cheered if she kicked at it. (Sinks 8 ball) Nothin but a jump shot, it's a gimmick" (sinks nine ball)

Ha! Earl heckling an eleven year old. I laughed out loud and had to rewatch it twice.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Ok, just have to throw some grease on the fire. There were some here telling us that pool was a more difficult sport than golf, tennis, baseball, etc.

I just watched an 11 year old play a 5 time world champion and NOT embarrass herself.

And Earl was NOT taking it easy on her. Heck, she was a shot of two from winning a game.

I still love pool, but in just about any main stream sport, this kid would have been steam rolled, injured, possibly killed or at least looked like a child playing against an adult.

Kid shot pretty good. And Earl moaning about her jump shot was priceless ;)

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, just have to throw some grease on the fire. There were some here telling us that pool was a more difficult sport than golf, tennis, baseball, etc.

I just watched an 11 year old play a 5 time world champion and NOT embarrass herself.

And Earl was NOT taking it easy on her. Heck, she was a shot of two from winning a game.

I still love pool, but in just about any main stream sport, this kid would have been steam rolled, injured, possibly killed or at least looked like a child playing against an adult.

Kid shot pretty good. And Earl moaning about her jump shot was priceless ;)

You have to compare it to stationary sports such as golf. Today even nascar is considered a sport, so the term sport should be divided into classifications. Reactionary sports, like baseball or basketball, where you react to the ball moving....then stationary sports where you step up to the ball and take your shot like pool and golf.

In golf it is not uncommon to get very young kids who excel and take on the pros (Michelle wie comes to mind) but they mainly get as far as their strength and body can take them.

You are right, the girl didn't embarrass herself, but it was nine ball too which will give her attempts at the table. If it was 8 ball or straight pool, where the naturally better player can smother the opponent, I don't think she would have come close to winning a game as she did in nine ball.

In ten years, watch out for this kid.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In general I agree with you regarding the relative difficulty of pool compared to other sports such as golf (pool is much easier).

However, I think Lucy Li held her own in the Women's US Open much better than this young pool player in her match with Strickland.

Still, pool is child's play compared to golf.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In general I agree with you regarding the relative difficulty of pool compared to other sports such as golf (pool is much easier).

However, I think Lucy Li held her own in the Women's US Open much better than this young pool player in her match with Strickland.

Still, pool is child's play compared to golf.

Earl strickland is a pretty good golfer at his golf course/club (five handicap I think), and he has stated golf is way easier that pool. Of course he could be biased. I think he talks about it in his interview with Joe Rogan on YouTube.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
You have to compare it to stationary sports such as golf. Today even nascar is considered a sport, so the term sport should be divided into classifications. Reactionary sports, like baseball or basketball, where you react to the ball moving....then stationary sports where you step up to the ball and take your shot like pool and golf.

In golf it is not uncommon to get very young kids who excel and take on the pros (Michelle wie comes to mind) but they mainly get as far as their strength and body can take them.

You are right, the girl didn't embarrass herself, but it was nine ball too which will give her attempts at the table. If it was 8 ball or straight pool, where the naturally better player can smother the opponent, I don't think she would have come close to winning a game as she did in nine ball.

In ten years, watch out for this kid.

I know, but we had a very "famous" poster on her tell us that pool was a more difficult sport than baseball. Most folks laughed as such a suggestion, and viewing this only confirmed what most of us thought at the time.

certain sports, you are knocked out just based on genetics alone.... speed, agility, eye hand coordination, strength, certain things many, many folks cannot develop because they just don't have it.

I can look at a 12 year old and say, Nope, he's done. No HS baseball, thus, no college and thus no pro baseball either. Part of it is not his fault, he can blame mom and pop's genetics ;)

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know, but we had a very "famous" poster on her tell us that pool was a more difficult sport than baseball. Most folks laughed as such a suggestion, and viewing this only confirmed what most of us thought at the time.

certain sports, you are knocked out just based on genetics alone.... speed, agility, eye hand coordination, strength, certain things many, many folks cannot develop because they just don't have it.

I can look at a 12 year old and say, Nope, he's done. No HS baseball, thus, no college and thus no pro baseball either. Part of it is not his fault, he can blame mom and pop's genetics ;)

Genetics has a huge part in sports. You are correct. Average career as professional football player is 3.5 years. If you have bad knees, or are prone to concussions, you might now even get to 3.5

That's what I dig about pool, and more lately, my respect for golf....that you have a chance to compete even if you aren't a genetic superman. There's always a chance to see an unknown rise to a top level. Or even watching an eleven year old take on a world champion can be interesting.

Very cool.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you know what sucks? Earl Strickland is undoubtedly one of the biggest names in pool. He's a celebrity in all of our books whether you like him or not. He picks up his cue and people immediately start snapping pics and taking video no matter who he's playing. What's unfortunate is, he has to endure all of the world's criticism while not receiving the usual monetary compensation you'd get for being so famous. I think it sucks he played an 11-year-old in a tournament. I wish pool were more successful so that our top talent didn't have to subject themselves to situations like that.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Do you know what sucks? Earl Strickland is undoubtedly one of the biggest names in pool. He's a celebrity in all of our books whether you like him or not. He picks up his cue and people immediately start snapping pics and taking video no matter who he's playing. What's unfortunate is, he has to endure all of the world's criticism while not receiving the usual monetary compensation you'd get for being so famous. I think it sucks he played an 11-year-old in a tournament. I wish pool were more successful so that our top talent didn't have to subject themselves to situations like that.

tap, tap, tap.

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True. It's sad top players can't make good living.

Everyone is looking for a quick or current fix to the situation. It would be awesome if it did happen soon. However, I think if it does happen, it will be far down the road.

That 11 yr. old girl and kids like her have the potential to make it happen. Where are new pool players coming from ? What is the best source of new players ? Youth programs, free or discounted rates, after school clubs, integrating pool into geometry and physics teachings, equipment donations, etc..

Only problem is it takes adults to invest the time, money, support and effort. Parents, school administrators, industry manufacturers, teachers. Key word is invest. Investing in the future of pool. If people are looking for a quick return, it will never happen.

I'll get off the soap box now.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it sucks he played an 11-year-old in a tournament. I wish pool were more successful so that our top talent didn't have to subject themselves to situations like that.
I don't think it "sucks" at all. According to krychekrowe the girl paid the $100 entry fee. The fact that she was allowed to play given that she paid the entry fee makes the situation cool, not sucky.

What I think you're basically arguing is that it sucks that top professionals have to "subject themselves" to playing at $100 entry fee tournaments. That's a different discussion entirely. The fact that an 11-year-old was his opponent is irrelevant.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I think you're basically arguing is that it sucks that top professionals have to "subject themselves" to playing at $100 entry fee tournaments. That's a different discussion entirely. The fact that an 11-year-old was his opponent is irrelevant.

Yes, that's precisely what I mean. Earl Strickland should not be playing 11-year-olds for a small payday. That's a shame. It's a luxury every single amateur can take advantage of and I'm not saying we shouldn't. It's the reality of the world we live in. All I'm saying is, when it does happen, it shouldn't be so much of a spectacle. He's not a clown.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I don't think it "sucks" at all. According to krychekrowe the girl paid the $100 entry fee. The fact that she was allowed to play given that she paid the entry fee makes the situation cool, not sucky.

Yeah, it kinda of sucks. Too make a few bucks, he has to enter tourneys with 11 year olds. yeah, it is dead money, just like many of us, but geez, there is dead money and then there is zombie money...

It's not the girls fault this is possible, and don't blame her one bit. Just sucks what it has come to.