How good were Cole Dickson and Mark Tadd?

Magyar19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like, would you say they would be able to play Archer, Strickland, or Reyes in their primes even in 9-ball and be able to come out winner in a long set? I don't know why these 2 intrigue me so much, but I'd love some tape of them if anyone has any.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
MARK TADD, in 91/92, had a top end within a smidge of the players you mentioned and would have robbed them playing bank pool.

He was the BEST unknown American player I've seen since WADE CRANE came north in the 60's.

i didn't see DICKSON play when he was at his best

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been told by numerous reliable sources that there was a stretch of about 6 months when Mark Tadd was offering the 7 ball to the TOP pros. Apparently he got there sometimes against them. I guess he just got into this zone for a little while.

I looked into it because I *played* him in a couple of mini tourneys at the BCA this year.

KMRUNOUT

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to compare. They played on the old wool slow cloth with the fairy 'dead' balls compared to today.
Cole was a big angle player. Looked out of line, but was right where he wanted to be. Made everything he shot at. Had as much gamble as any player I ever met...on his money!
There was a table in Glen Burnie ( old Bill & Billies ) that had tight triple shimmed pockets. I think it was tbl #16. The cloth was soo slow you could move it with your hand.
I saw Efren throw out the balls for 9 ball , take a shot on the 1 and run 7 racks on that table ( the spot ball would not go in the side pocket! ). I saw Mark Tadd do the same thing while waiting for Geese to get a horse to play him 1 hole. Mark ONLY ran 6 racks!
Never heard or saw anyone come close to doing that!
The great players of the 60's and 70's playing the great players of today................
It would be a WAR!

Karate

Do you expect me to post?
Silver Member
Cole Dickson/Mark Tadd

Like, would you say they would be able to play Archer, Strickland, or Reyes in their primes even in 9-ball and be able to come out winner in a long set? I don't know why these 2 intrigue me so much, but I'd love some tape of them if anyone has any.

Although I never met these 2 guys, I love watching Cole bank these shots in this One Pocket game.
The first 2 shots are Cole then, the last bank is Rudolfo Luat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiBM6JLcmK4

Karate-

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I can't speak to Marks talent but I can say Cole was a beast.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
both of these players were among the best I ever saw
to get an accurate rating lets hope Keith replies or Billy Incardone

I was at cuetopia in Las Vegas one day and Mark Tad was warming up to possibly play Billy,just knocking balls into the hole

He hit about 10 banks in a row into the hole at about the speed that most people break at 9 ball

I would think both of these guys were close to Keith but I don't have the talent to evaluate them that
accurately

Cole was somewhat of a baseball player in his youth,he seemed to enjoy talking about that more than his pool ,at least with me where is mark Tad these days?

Last time I talked with Mark he expressed an interest in the Bible and was hoping to change his life,I would be interested to hear about him

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know much about either one.
But the name Cole Dickson was always a cool name to me.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've mentioned Mark Tadd in another thread a while ago. Mark at one time was one of the most talented and feared players in L.A. We had Jay's L.A. Open in, I think, '92 and Mark took the 9 Ball AND One Pocket. That good. There's stories of him walking into a room and giving anyone the 7.. no takers. At the Bicycle club, he'd throw his $100 fiberglass cue under the table, go play cards, get called in to play Varner, walk in with no warm up, and beat Nicky pretty easily... throw the cue under the table, back to cards.

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
I first met Tadd in the 90's while doing an event on the McD tour in southern California at South Bay Billiards. Ted Harris introduced us and gave me the scoop on Mark. From what I witnessed, he was the SVB of the early nineties.

He was way beyond dedicated to learning the game, and went from an average good player to a champion through hard work and endless hours of play and action matches.

He had the firepower of Strickland and Davenport and no one was barred from getting in the box.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I first met Tadd in the 90's while doing an event on the McD tour in southern California at South Bay Billiards. Ted Harris introduced us and gave me the scoop on Mark. From what I witnessed, he was the SVB of the early nineties.

He was way beyond dedicated to learning the game, and went from an average good player to a champion through hard work and endless hours of play and action matches.

He had the firepower of Strickland and Davenport and no one was barred from getting in the box.

He took down some tournaments at South Bay, but so did Parica and Efren.

I saw him match up with Keith on some fast 9 ball at Hard Times. I stopped gambling on their match because if they didn't run out, they raked the table and racked....no stalling.

Great times.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
I mentioned in some other recent thread about the most impressive pool shooting you have seen, for me it was watching Mark Tadd hitting balls by himself at Hard Times. Just ball after ball, bank after bank, everything going in.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last time I talked with Mark he expressed an interest in the Bible and was hoping to change his life,I would be interested to hear about him

Mark is a member here and, yeah, he hit the bible big time. Used to post bible stuff all over the forum, then pretty much confined it to NPR. Pretty much all he did when he was here. Like when he played pool, way, way over the top:rolleyes:

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Tadd

Mark Tadd is playing regularly again.

Some videos on YouTube. Check out Roadplayerbilliards channel:thumbup:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm waiting for Mr.Helfert to chime in on this. Pretty sure he saw quite a bit of both at their peak.

I specifically talked to Jay Halfert at the BCA...he was one of the reliable sources that said Mark played about as good as anyone at one point, and was giving the 7 ball to tip top pros and getting there.

KMRUNOUT