Tricks for installing Tips with no Lathe?

05carbondrz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking for some tricks to install oversized 14mm tips on a 13mm shaft with no Lathe.I have trouble trimming the excess off and keeping it perfectly round and the same diameter as the Ferrule all the way up.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I am looking for some tricks to install oversized 14mm tips on a 13mm shaft with no Lathe.I have trouble trimming the excess off and keeping it perfectly round and the same diameter as the Ferrule all the way up.

I watched the video and got no sound. So I thought I would mention that the knife in the video is a Kiridashi knife. I actually use one with my lathe for tips..... Does an outstanding job..... Just keep it flat on the ferrule and it cuts the tip flush.... I use a 24mm wide one.... Good luck..

JC

Coos Cues
Well get your wet stone out and give it a sharpen.

The very primary skill required to do a huge variety of tasks in life with your hands is the ability to sharpen tools. I recommend anyone wanting to do any blue collar work to learn right away.

JC

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The very primary skill required to do a huge variety of tasks in life with your hands is the ability to sharpen tools. I recommend anyone wanting to do any blue collar work to learn right away.

JC

Tap tap tap

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member

JC

Excellent advice. As it turns out one the worlds authority on sharpening is from around here. He started a most wonderful company that does mail order like few others, and he sells his own book on his site :

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?p=32991&cat=1,46096,46107&ap=1

Leonard Lee, the complete guide to sharpening

Dave

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
knife

I would use a straight razor to trim the tip.
or a sharpened wood chisel .

Hold the cue upside down on a block of wood , and trim off the excess tip .
At any time your knife or blade cuts or you sand on the ferrule , stop and take the cue to someone who isn't going to damage it .

To change the tip correctly you shouldn't have to be sanding or cutting on the ferrule .........

Good luck ...

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would use a straight razor to trim the tip.

@mike: to clarify, you are meaning razor blades used for box cutters right? A straight razor I believe is a single blade folding type or knife used for shaving. These have the wrong geometry and are very thin. If anyone tries to cut leather with these, the blade will break, guaranteed.

Those chisel ground knives from the video are perfect as one edge is flat. Plus the spine is nice and strong. I like using my Finnish Puuka style knife personally.

Although, why did the guy mark the ferrule with a pencil??? That makes no sense to me.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Straight razors

@mike: to clarify, you are meaning razor blades used for box cutters right? A straight razor I believe is a single blade folding type or knife used for shaving. These have the wrong geometry and are very thin. If anyone tries to cut leather with these, the blade will break, guaranteed.

Those chisel ground knives from the video are perfect as one edge is flat. Plus the spine is nice and strong. I like using my Finnish Puuka style knife personally.

Although, why did the guy mark the ferrule with a pencil??? That makes no sense to me.

Your not trying to Jinx my straight razor are you ;)

Been using this one old straight razor like they use to shave with to do all my leather work for years .
Its my go to favorite tool to cut leather with.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your not trying to Jinx my straight razor are you ;)

Been using this one old straight razor like they use to shave with to do all my leather work for years .
Its my go to favorite tool to cut leather with.

Well, that is extremely surprising to me. I never would have thought it possible as all of the straight razors I've handled have super thin and fragile convex grinds.

Definitely not knocking it if it works for you, btw.

Lastly, hows that Mali we discussed a while back? My buddy is still looking for a cue and you had some very cool ideas with that project. PM me!

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Well, that is extremely surprising to me. I never would have thought it possible as all of the straight razors I've handled have super thin and fragile convex grinds.

Definitely not knocking it if it works for you, btw.

Lastly, hows that Mali we discussed a while back? My buddy is still looking for a cue and you had some very cool ideas with that project. PM me!

The straight razor I use has a convex grind , Its a great tool for cutting thick leather if you keep it sharp .

I will send you a pm ..