Non-scientific chalk comparison

Muddog

Registered
Ok I know this has probably been done to death but since I’ve caught crap in the past from players at my local hall for my silver cup thought since retipping my 2 shafts and my buddies that I would test some other chalks
Le pro tips on mine triangles on buddies
Chalked tips once and played no rechalking was done

1. Magic chalk— stuck to tips best of all tried
Put down a good 4 racks before a miscue
Reshaped tip and chalk was worked in good and deep
Left chalk marks on cue ball first 6-8 hits
Less messy than masters or silver cup about the same as blue diamond, lava, and ntc

2. Predator— felt gritty left my le pros almost glazed no issues on buddies triangles
Put down about 2 racks with le pro 3 racks with triangle before miss cue
Reshaped tip almost no chalk/color left unlike magic chalk
About equal in messiness to masters
No marks on cue ball

3. Blue diamond— stuck to both tips very well no glazing or gritty
Put down 3 racks before any miscues
Reshaped tips chalk had worked in well not quite as deep as magic but better than masters or silver cup
Tied with lava for least mess
No marks on cue ball

3. Lava blue— very similar to blue diamond though seemed to agree more with the triangle tips than my le pros

4. Silver cup national tournament chalk— went on both tips well
About 3 racks before miss cue
Reshaping revealed slightly less chalk worked in than blue diamond or lava better than predator
Slightly less mess than masters or regular silver cup
No marks on cue

5. Masters blue— always had trouble getting it to stick to my le pros better with the triangles
2 racks le pro 3 triangles
Messiest
No marks

6. Silver cup blue— better than masters for my le pro less well on triangles
3 racks le pro 2 triangles
Little less mess than masters
No marks on cue

YMMV

End result- gave away the predator kept the rest
Will probably use the NTC after I use up the blue diamond and lava cubes just due to price
Magic chalk I’ll put on once after new tip or reshape more as a base layer then use one of the others over it— this gave me great miscue protection without marking up the ball
Normally chalk before every shot but this adds a little piece of mind should I forget

Last edited:

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi,
thank you for the post-
I was just looking at MORKAMI CHALK-
May try some
I been using blue diamond for years

Muddog

Registered
Hi,
thank you for the post-
I was just looking at MORKAMI CHALK-
May try some
I been using blue diamond for years

Didn’t have any morakami to try got the others in a sample pack
Blue diamond probably be my choice if the price was lower just not enough leg up on the ntc to justify the price difference for me
Found it interesting the difference between what the tips prefer

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, it has always been master chalk- I view chalking my cue before each shot as part of my pre shot routine and integral to my rhythm at the table. It works for me and see no reason to change. I won't play a match without at least two relatively new cubes of chalk that remain on the rails. I do not like personal chalk holders; walking to a chalk on the rail is part of my table rhythm - staying in motion until I begin sighting my next shot works for me. Staying squeaky clean while competing is the last thing that I would worry about. Remember the days when almost every player and every rail bird had a cigarette burning somewhere on or near the table? I never smoked, but it never bothered me either- just had to strip in my garage at night prior to entering my home- those were the days!

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taom Pyro is hands-down the cleanest chalk on the market. Will not show up at all on a cue ball, a shaft, and will absolutely leave no chalk marks on the cloth. It will also not discolor your hands at all. I will say it does not cover your tip as well as other chalk such as magic chalk, so you may be slightly more likely to miscue using it. A piece which cost around $20 will absolutely last you forever or it seems that way as I’ve been using a piece for six months and have barely broken it in.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't know,but i doubt there is any difference at all
dr dave is a genius at testing and he reports no difference

its like public and private schools
whats the differece

tuition

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
My non-scientific report is that Silver Cup is the worst chalk I have ever used for extreme english shots. There are some shots that will miscue 99% of the time with Silver Cup chalk, but are no problem with Masters or other chalk.

Muddog

Registered

whats the differece

tuition

Chalk every shot and I don’t believe there would be other than amount of mess and the possibility that certain chalk may not agree with certain tips as well as others
I’ve read and watched dr Dave’s videos and can’t dispute them. My test was not scientific and really was more about finding the one that coated the tips I use best with the least mess for the money

If I ever decide to use a layered tip I’ll probably try it again since the biggest difference I found was between how well a given chalk covered a freshly shaped tip and how deeply it worked in/ how much tip I had to remove to get clean surface

Just thought others might find that useful more so than how many shots without chalking

Muddog

Registered
My non-scientific report is that Silver Cup is the worst chalk I have ever used for extreme english shots. There are some shots that will miscue 99% of the time with Silver Cup chalk, but are no problem with Masters or other chalk.

That’s what everyone kept telling me.... I always used silver cup over masters because whether it’s how I’m chalking or just a fluke of my le pros I always had the opposite experience.... my buddies triangles however preferred the masters go figure

Add in the vast variety of tips out there and things could really get complicated

Last edited:

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Not a big believer in brand of chalk making a significant difference in how I play. My most used chalk is Masters. My second most used is Silver Cup. Silver Cup because of the colors available. Masters because it is good and affordable. Both make a mess, Masters more than Silver Cup. I play, make a mess and clean it up once in a while. I’m not sure but would guess that all of my cases have a cube of both, Masters and Silver Cup, in them.

But, that’s just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums. Edit: should add that I currently play with a LePro and my back up shafts have pooldawg milk duds. So I play a hard tip.

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok I know this has probably been done to death but since I’ve caught crap in the past from players at my local hall for my silver cup thought since retipping my 2 shafts and my buddies that I would test some other chalks
Le pro tips on mine triangles on buddies
Chalked tips once and played no rechalking was done

1. Magic chalk— stuck to tips best of all tried
Put down a good 4 racks before a miscue
Reshaped tip and chalk was worked in good and deep
Left chalk marks on cue ball first 6-8 hits
Less messy than masters or silver cup about the same as blue diamond, lava, and ntc

2. Predator— felt gritty left my le pros almost glazed no issues on buddies triangles
Put down about 2 racks with le pro 3 racks with triangle before miss cue
Reshaped tip almost no chalk/color left unlike magic chalk
About equal in messiness to masters
No marks on cue ball

3. Blue diamond— stuck to both tips very well no glazing or gritty
Put down 3 racks before any miscues
Reshaped tips chalk had worked in well not quite as deep as magic but better than masters or silver cup
Tied with lava for least mess
No marks on cue ball

3. Lava blue— very similar to blue diamond though seemed to agree more with the triangle tips than my le pros

4. Silver cup national tournament chalk— went on both tips well
About 3 racks before miss cue
Reshaping revealed slightly less chalk worked in than blue diamond or lava better than predator
Slightly less mess than masters or regular silver cup
No marks on cue

5. Masters blue— always had trouble getting it to stick to my le pros better with the triangles
2 racks le pro 3 triangles
Messiest
No marks

6. Silver cup blue— better than masters for my le pro less well on triangles
3 racks le pro 2 triangles
Little less mess than masters
No marks on cue

YMMV

End result- gave away the predator kept the rest
Will probably use the NTC after I use up the blue diamond and lava cubes just due to price
Magic chalk I’ll put on once after new tip or reshape more as a base layer then use one of the others over it— this gave me great miscue protection without marking up the ball
Normally chalk before every shot but this adds a little piece of mind should I forget

You should review some wine for us. I’m a Napa guy so start there.

If you’re a pool player just use Master before you hit, you will never, ever, have an issue. Ever.

Muddog

Registered
You should review some wine for us. I’m a Napa guy so start there.

If you’re a pool player just use Master before you hit, you will never, ever, have an issue. Ever.

Wine nah not my thing but if someone wants to send me sample pack of expensive scotches.....

As for the chalk it was all a crap shoot in the end
It is worth a buck or two extra per dozen for less mess to me
None of them made me any better at shooting though:frown:

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
IMHO (2) fine Chalks are Master & Triangle, both are reasonable in price. Both work well if you chalk up ever shot.

Yes I tried some of the Super Chalks, the ones for $25.00 a Cube down to the ones that are only $3.00 - $5.00 a Cube. Owner let me try em, I said politely intresting, or so what?

Keep going back to of faithful old standbys, Master Green is Number UNO, as the Hudini Chalks just to me do not seem to be anything special.

I am sure if I was some Pro Player with a big following of want to be greats, I could get some great money, plus FREE Hudini Chalk to tell everyone how great I thought Hudini Chalk is.:smile:

Question when a Pro Player in any sport using a product is? Are they getting paid to use, and be seen in say Nikes. Is the School, or Tems official supplier Nike?

Not picking on Nike, they do a great job of outfitting the U of O Duck Football Team in cool uniforms.:D

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I'm really surprised you weren't seeing blue spots on the cue ball, using Predator chalk? I have some, I like it and use it; and it consistantly leaves blue spots on my Aramith Blue Logo cue ball. Master's and Brunswick do not.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm really surprised you weren't seeing blue spots on the cue ball, using Predator chalk? I have some, I like it and use it; and it consistantly leaves blue spots on my Aramith Blue Logo cue ball. Master's and Brunswick do not.
I really like Blue Diamond lately. Made by Tweeten for Longoni. Not as dusty as Master. Very similar to Russian Magic.

8stone

Having to grind gritty chalk into the tip will wear your tip out real fast. Chalking lightly with a smoother chalk makes a huge difference in the tip life.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

whats the differece

tuition

Thats a silly comparison .. having sent my kids to both their is a HUGE difference.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
IMHO Dr. Dave did a great U-Tube Chalk Compairson, and bust his butt to make points. People in the Billiard Gizmo, Supply, Accessory go out of their way to make the new latest, and great to seperated sucker from their money. Gizmo Huksters is what I call em.

When Mosconi was breaking all the records in Pool, he travel from room to room for Brunswick. Like paying in four season of weather. Adapted, overcame, and improvised to do what he did great. Skill wins out over equiptment.

Friend who is retired Nurosurgon jokingly said I could borrow his old surgical instruments that are worth now 50K as they are outdated. Anyone want to have brain Surgury by me, with not much formal medical training?