American 14.1 Championship moves to NYC

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship, which has been in Richmond, VA for several years, is moving to New York City. It will be in October just before the US International Open 9-Ball which is in Norfolk. It's scheduled so there will be a day of travel time between the events.

CropperCapture[140].jpg

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weird move imo but Carom Café is one of the best rooms in NYC.
Kind of sad to see this event moving from Diamond Billiards in Midlothian, VA where it's been for a number of years. Travel and accommodations expenses will be much higher for the players, and the distance from NYC to Norfolk will be considerably longer. Still nice to see the tournament continuing to go on, even if it's at a new venue.

I wonder if they are still planning to hold the World Straight Pool Championship at Steinway's again, which is generally less than a month before this one? If so, that would be two huge 14.1 events in the NYC area in the fall, which is awesome for 14.1 players and fans who live in that area.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I wonder if they are still planning to hold the World Straight Pool Championship at Steinway's again, which is generally less than a month before this one? If so, that would be two huge 14.1 events in the NYC area in the fall, which is awesome for 14.1 players and fans who live in that area.

The World 14.1 has been shifted from Steinway to The Spot Billiards Cafe & Lounge in Nanuet, NY Aug. 13-19.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Norfolk?

The American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship, which has been in Richmond, VA for several years, is moving to New York City. It will be in October just before the US International Open 9-Ball which is in Norfolk. It's scheduled so there will be a day of travel time between the events.

I thought the US Open 9B was being moved to Vegas and in April rather than October. Sure hard to keep up...

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Thanx for sharing Bob.

As a resident of the Tri-state area, I couldn't be happier about this.

Any info about spectator seats and the like? -Z-

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanx for sharing Bob.

As a resident of the Tri-state area, I couldn't be happier about this.

Any info about spectator seats and the like? -Z-
I've only watched (and played in) carom events at Carom Cafe, and the viewing is reasonable for that. I assume they will move bleachers to face the pool tables. I think there are 12-16 pool tables available and I think they are all Gold Crowns. There is a raised area on one side of the pool tables.

As far as hotels go, there are some within five blocks for about $120. I think the best value is the Marco Laguardia. You get a free breakfast (nice buffet) if you reserve with them directly.

There are many great Chinese restaurants within walking distance.