Linen feel question

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently picked up a Dale Patten Richie Florence cue, unknown at the time of purchase, and I love the feel of the wrap. I'm not sure if the linen is thicker, sealed with something or coarser. As you can see in first pic, the wrap looks as though it is thicker or more pronounced, with a definite difference in height between the thread to the overall height. I would love to have my other wrap feel like this, second pic. I just wiped down the green spec wrap with a paper towel lightly sprinkled with water, then witch hazel, then naphtha and followed it up with water again. The wrap was too smooth and now allows each strand to be felt, which is what I prefer. What on trying to figure out is if it possible for the white and green spec linen to feel like the other with some treatment, glue?, or if I just need to find a thicker/coarser linen to have the cue re-wrapped? Thanks

Last edited:

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The white with green was. I don't like pressed linen, too slick. I'm trying to figure out what treatment was done to the black and red or if it is even possible to find out strictly through images.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I am not a cue maker. I do my own shaft and tip work. I have had some cues with the wrap looking like the white and green spec one you have. The linen looks and feels like it has little frays??? I had a guy tell me that water or steam will cause that. He said you can take bees wax and polish the wrap. Rub a little bit on there and then take a cloth and rub around the wrap to work it in. With that said, I did it to my own cue and it worked out nicely.

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
Jmho

The white with green was. I don't like pressed linen, too slick. I'm trying to figure out what treatment was done to the black and red or if it is even possible to find out strictly through images.

The only "treatment" that was done to the black and red was a poor wrap job in my opinion. There are gaps between strands and the linen was not pressed/burnished properly. Actually, it looks like one I might have done way back in the beginning when I was just learning ;-)

I can't think of any way to replicate this on a cue that has been wrapped properly. You could just have it re-wrapped and tell the cuemaker/repairman that you like the "rough" feel and ask him to only lightly press the linen and don't burnish it.

Last edited:

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I hate pressed linen. I like to feel the grooves. Kinda like the really old wraps from the 1st half of last century.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I hate pressed linen. I like to feel the grooves. Kinda like the really old wraps from the 1st half of last century.

All you need to do is find a 100 year old cuemaker:)

But seriously folks - once upon a time you just wound the Linen around the butt,
pegged it down, and you were done.

I also don't care for the super slick feel of linen wraps as they have been done for the
past 30 plus years, but 90% plus of my customers do.

Briefly, it takes a lot of work and time to get a wrap to the smooth stage. Just find a
cue guy who will wrap one and only press it "lightly".

Now for your question:

No.

The second wrap had been pressed down flat - and filled - and polished.

You can't undo all that squeezing - adding glue would just make it 'slicker'

Dale

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
The black w/red linen is Hurlbert.
The white w/grn is Blue Mountain.
Two different manufacturers of linen.
What's done with it during installation is up to the installer.

HTHs, KJ

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the privilege of standing next to Chris Byrne when he wrapped my cue with linen.
One press-not good
Second press-perfect-stop.
So it turned out not to be like silk but was smooth with just a little friction for grip.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The black w/red linen is Hurlbert.
The white w/grn is Blue Mountain.
Two different manufacturers of linen.
What's done with it during installation is up to the installer.

HTHs, KJ

Is the hurlbert thicker than blue mountain?

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Both brands share a nominal thickness of .025".
The Hulbert goes thru a 'polish' process in it's manufacture that causes it to be a little stiffer.
We're talking linen cordage here so maybe 'stiffer' isn't the most accurate term.
They do differ in texture. How's that?

As to the Blue Mountain, it could just as easily be 'Genuine' brand.
I haven't found much diff btw these two.
Hurlbert though, is different.