Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Aiming Conversation
Reload this Page Master the art of aiming and never miss another ball.
Reply
Page 3 of 7 123 45 Last »
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Online
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jan 2019
   
10-02-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
You should be a motivational speaker. Lol
Do you find my remarks humorous?
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#32)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 6,809
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 39 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: Mar 2008
   
10-02-2019, 09:44 AM

There seems to be two or more overlapping threads here
Knowing your limits So that you never shoot a shot you can’t miss will definitely win games and make you consistent And tough to beat

But to me “mastering “ something means you have no restrictions
Because you have overcome the obstacles. You can execute all shots that are humanly possible. Like a virtuoso on a musical instrument.
There will always be some limitations for example an 80 % cut shot is not a hanger for anyone.
If your hands can’t span 14 keys on a piano you may not be able to play Rachmaninov
Even if you are a virtuoso who has “ mastered “ the piano.
The other question about
What is aiming
To me aiming is targeting
The rest of the process to make a ball includes among other things
Visualization of what you want to hit/alignment/stroke/ etc
What happens after the cue ball hits the object ball is a different subject and not part of aiming( to me )

Last edited by bbb; 10-02-2019 at 09:48 AM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#33)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute
 
BC21's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,156
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: West Virginia
   
10-02-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
Do you find my remarks humorous?
Some are funny, like this one...."How about Crazy Cousin Calvin or Bleeding Heart Betty? What is it really like to sit around the Thanksgiving Table, hold hands, and pray? Is this "aiming?"

That's pretty funny. You answer a lot of questions with other questions, more probing questions that most people wouldn't think to ask. That's a good thing, because it primes out-of-the-box thinking. Of course, there's always a possibility that you're just messing me by posing all these questions.


POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#34)
JackOfNoTrades
AzB Silver Member
JackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: BFE Tennessee
   
10-02-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
As Old Dutch said to Jimmy Carter..........."There you go again".
Every post you make is about or has something to do with poolology either directly or indirectly.
Why, you say? Because you have that logo advertising your book down at the left hand corner of your page, so people will see it, look you up and buy your product.
Why don't you remove that logo of yours? (it should be in the "For Sale" section anyway)
I sell used cars....is my car lot sign acceptable on all my posts around here? Not likely.
Quick question: is this a “used cars” forum?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#35)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Low500's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,622
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Apr 2017
   
10-02-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie man View Post
Are you saying Autistic kids can't be happy? That's a pretty sick assumption, and dead wrong.
Cookieman, some of these people are so far out in left field they don't even realize it themselves.
Beats me. A psychiatrist would have fits trying to understand them.


"It is almost impossible to free simpletons from the chains they revere."
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#36)
JackOfNoTrades
AzB Silver Member
JackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: BFE Tennessee
   
Question 10-02-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
Cookieman, some of these people are so far out in left field they don't even realize it themselves.
Beats me. A psychiatrist would have fits trying to understand them.
Who are the people in left field?

Genuine question. I’m new and I’d like to know from an experienced member who these people are so that I know which advice to take with the proverbial “grain of salt.”

Thanks!!!

  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#37)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Low500's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,622
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Apr 2017
   
10-02-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfNoTrades View Post
Who are the people in left field?
Genuine question. I’m new and I’d like to know from an experienced member who these people are so that I know which advice to take with the proverbial “grain of salt.”
Thanks!!!
A good starting point for you would be to ignore me completely.
Since you said, in a previous post, that you bought the poolology book..right away that creates a conflict. Seeing as how I don't believe a word of the poolology book concerning aiming pool shots. Which means we are at crossed purposes.
I am a student of another method.
So, as a new member, you can have peace here by not paying attention to anything I post.
Isn't freedom wonderful?
Good wishes to you and have a successful journey in your pool aiming.


"It is almost impossible to free simpletons from the chains they revere."
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#38)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute
 
BC21's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,156
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: West Virginia
   
10-02-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
There seems to be two or more overlapping threads here
Knowing your limits So that you never shoot a shot you can’t miss will definitely win games and make you consistent And tough to beat

But to me “mastering “ something means you have no restrictions
Because you have overcome the obstacles. You can execute all shots that are humanly possible. Like a virtuoso on a musical instrument.
There will always be some limitations for example an 80 % cut shot is not a hanger for anyone.
If your hands can’t span 14 keys on a piano you may not be able to play Rachmaninov
Even if you are a virtuoso who has “ mastered “ the piano.
The other question about
What is aiming
To me aiming is targeting
The rest of the process to make a ball includes among other things
Visualization of what you want to hit/alignment/stroke/ etc
What happens after the cue ball hits the object ball is a different subject and not part of aiming( to me )
I read a great strategy for lowering a handicap in golf.
Can't recall which book I got this from, but the writer pointed out that a lot of bogies stem from long irons or woods/drivers, where the amateur tends to fade or hook the shot, putting themselves into major trouble. He pointed out that most players have a favorite club, one they consistently hit well from the fairway, so instead of trying a 220 yd shot with a club you can't hit well, use the club you can hit well if it can possibly save you a stroke or two every couple of holes.

For me that's my 7 iron, my 160yd club. So I decided to following this guys suggested strategy, and it works. At 300+ yds off the green on a par five, instead of using a 3 or 4 hybrid for 200yds or so, then a sand wedge to hit the green from there, I hit two 7 iron shots instead. My hybrids are inconsistent and get me into the weeds and the sand traps all too often, costing another stroke to get out. But I feel very confident in my ability to nail two sweet 7 irons and stick the green. I never broke 90 until I began doing this.

I know what I really need to do in order to break 80 is to practice with those clubs I find difficult to hit consistently. Maybe someday I will, but golf just isn't important enough to me right now to invest any quality time into improving. And that's the same mentality many pool players have about playing pool, which is why so many continue to play the same way day after day, year after year, missing the same shots over and over.


POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#39)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Online
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jan 2019
   
10-02-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
Some are funny, like this one...."How about Crazy Cousin Calvin or Bleeding Heart Betty? What is it really like to sit around the Thanksgiving Table, hold hands, and pray? Is this "aiming?"

That's pretty funny. You answer a lot of questions with other questions, more probing questions that most people wouldn't think to ask. That's a good thing, because it primes out-of-the-box thinking. Of course, there's always a possibility that you're just messing me by posing all these questions.
I'm not playing. I'm as serious as a heart attack.

In your initial definition, your listed three components. I think there may be more. We have since brought up emotionality. Should we also bring up psychology? Let's say the "house" metaphor speaks to what goes on inside a player who has good-to- excellent command of basic physical shot-making skills. But his youngest son is a Down's baby. I don't care how tough you are, you don't forget that and leave it behind.

"The World is too much with us, late and soon."- Wordsworth

So here we go. It's Friday night. There's a pretty sporty little event going on down at the Choke and Puke. Momma isn't really jake on me going. Stella has a date with a multi-racial middle eastern boy. Bobby can't stop moaning and rocking on his "floor pillow," and the dog should probably be taken to the vet.

If I have any expectation of winning back my entry fee, certain things are going to have to be in place.

I believe that it is important to identify, define and then gain control over, all of the components which go to build a place where my game can flourish.

We started with 3 components, then advanced to 4. How many other things floating around out there in the Bozone must be identified, trained, mastered, and applied before we stroke The Golden Fleece?

1000 hours? 5000 hours? Videos? Systems? Voodoo?

I'm as serious as Lung Cancer.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#40)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute
 
BC21's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,156
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: West Virginia
   
10-02-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfNoTrades View Post
Who are the people in left field?

Genuine question. I’m new and I’d like to know from an experienced member who these people are so that I know which advice to take with the proverbial “grain of salt.”

Thanks!!!

Take the advice that makes sense to you.

Mastering aiming in it's entirety, much like mastering tennis or golf or chess or any other multifaceted skill, involves mastering every scenario that could possibly arise, individually. Only then can you say you have mastered the entire skill completely. But there's a major difference between mastering tennis (for example) and mastering the art of aiming pool shots.

With tennis you have no choice but to face whatever scenario your opponent sends your way. If it happens to be a particular shot you haven't quite mastered, you are likely to lose the point right there. You have no choice other than to try your best with whatever experience you can muster up in that fraction of a second.

When aiming pool shots you have a choice of whether or not you want to shoot any particular shot. Basically you can choose to play or pass in accordance with your confidence level on the shot. If it's a shot you know you've mastered, then you shoot. If it's s shot you aren't comfortable with then you look for other options that will allow you the best opportunity to win. As Buddy Hall would put it, ask yourself this: "How do I win from here." If you decide your best option is to go for it, then give it your best effort with complete confidence that the ob is going to hit the pocket and you're going to get out. If it works, great! But keep in my that you got lucky that time, and you need to work on this shot so when it comes up again (and it will) you won't be sweating it.


POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#41)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 6,809
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 39 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: Mar 2008
   
10-02-2019, 11:31 AM

Boxcar
I think you should start your own thread
I am as serious as .......
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#42)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute
 
BC21's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,156
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: West Virginia
   
10-02-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
I'm not playing. I'm as serious as a heart attack.

In your initial definition, your listed three components. I think there may be more. We have since brought up emotionality. Should we also bring up psychology? Let's say the "house" metaphor speaks to what goes on inside a player who has good-to- excellent command of basic physical shot-making skills. But his youngest son is a Down's baby. I don't care how tough you are, you don't forget that and leave it behind.

"The World is too much with us, late and soon."- Wordsworth

So here we go. It's Friday night. There's a pretty sporty little event going on down at the Choke and Puke. Momma isn't really jake on me going. Stella has a date with a multi-racial middle eastern boy. Bobby can't stop moaning and rocking on his "floor pillow," and the dog should probably be taken to the vet.

If I have any expectation of winning back my entry fee, certain things are going to have to be in place.

I believe that it is important to identify, define and then gain control over, all of the components which go to build a place where my game can flourish.

We started with 3 components, then advanced to 4. How many other things floating around out there in the Bozone must be identified, trained, mastered, and applied before we stroke The Golden Fleece?

1000 hours? 5000 hours? Videos? Systems? Voodoo?

I'm as serious as Lung Cancer.
According to scientific research involving complicated skill/talent development, about 10,000 hours of quality practice is needed to master physical skills, to ingrain the process into our mind so that we perform via the implicit system of brain function, like riding a bike or walking down the street -- we don't think about it, we just do it.

But even at this level of physical and mental skill, psychology comes into play and can potentially make us feel like complete beginners. It's no different than walking down the sidewalk with a million thoughts running through your mind, your job and your wife and your kids and that damn car battery that just died and sent you off on two feet. All of this sits on your shoulders as you walk. It taps at your head with each step, then you walk right out into the street and nearly get hit by a bus. What happened? You know how to walk and you know how stop walking. You mastered all that years ago. Have you suddenly lost it? No. Your brain was on cruise control, walking controlled with the brain's implicit system. Yet your explicit system, your conscious thoughts, caused a glitch in the overall process. You are still a master at walking, but the performance of this task can easily be influenced by uncontrolled emotions and the physiological state of mind. Walking is probably not a good example because it's not considered a complicated skill, but once learned it does operate from the same implicit brain system as more complicated skills.


POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist

Last edited by BC21; 10-02-2019 at 12:17 PM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#43)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Online
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jan 2019
   
10-02-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
Boxcar
I think you should start your own thread
I am as serious as .......
.........why?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#44)
JackOfNoTrades
AzB Silver Member
JackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: BFE Tennessee
   
10-02-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
A good starting point for you would be to ignore me completely.
Since you said, in a previous post, that you bought the poolology book..right away that creates a conflict. Seeing as how I don't believe a word of the poolology book concerning aiming pool shots. Which means we are at crossed purposes.
I am a student of another method.
So, as a new member, you can have peace here by not paying attention to anything I post.
Isn't freedom wonderful?
Good wishes to you and have a successful journey in your pool aiming.
But what if I were interested in your posts? Should I still ignore them? That’d be too bad because I couldn’t learn from them.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#45)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Low500's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,622
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Apr 2017
   
10-02-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfNoTrades View Post
But what if I were interested in your posts? Should I still ignore them? That’d be too bad because I couldn’t learn from them.
Good wishes to you and have a successful journey in your pool aiming.


"It is almost impossible to free simpletons from the chains they revere."
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 3 of 7 123 45 Last »

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.