Heavier Cue, vs. Lighter Cue

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I have a shaft that I play with regularly and have been experimenting with different butts that weigh different by about 1 ounce.

I noticed the other day that when I started using the heavier butt it "seemed" like the heavier butt, either put more effective spin on the cue ball OR I could say, it threw the object ball more than the lighter butt.

Now this is the same shaft, just experimenting with different butts that weigh differently.

The lighter butt and shaft weighed 19.1 ounces and the heavier combination weight 20.0 ounces.

Does anyone believe that the heavier weight cue either can impart more side spin (with the same stroke speed) or more throw to the object ball?

I have thought that maybe I "think" I am using the same speed stroke and maybe with the heavier cue I actually have a slower speed although I "think" I am using the same speed stroke; and the slower speed has more effective swerve and that's why I think the heavier cue is spinning the cue ball more.

I call upon the greatest minds on AZB to clear my thinking on this.

If Patrick Johnson is reading, please ask him to share his wisdom on this subject, vicariously. It's times like this that I miss ole Patrick. Oh God, did I just say that?

JoeyA

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two players. One is 18 oz the other is 19 oz. Same pre cat 314's for each. Both wrapless, similar specs except for weight.

I use the lighter cue for BB and fast 9' tables and the heavier cue for slow tables.

The heavier cue is easier to move the cue ball around with. I don't notice a difference in cue ball control or spin. Just easier to move whitey with the heavier one.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I have two players. One is 18 oz the other is 19 oz. Same pre cat 314's for each. Both wrapless, similar specs except for weight.

I use the lighter cue for BB and fast 9' tables and the heavier cue for slow tables.

The heavier cue is easier to move the cue ball around with. I don't notice a difference in cue ball control or spin. Just easier to move whitey with the heavier one.

Ok, thanks for the feedback.
JoeyA

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
My main player is 18.2 ounces & I find the opposite to be true. I played with 19-19.5 for a LONG time & found after switching to the lighter cue, also it's front weighted seems to let me accelerate through my stroke more moving the rock rather easily. That's all I got.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If you put a shaft from a lighter butt to a heavier butt...
...the shaft will whip more.
On the light butt, it will 'quick-draw' better.
On the heavier butt, the spin will stay on longer

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a shaft that I play with regularly and have been experimenting with different butts that weigh different by about 1 ounce.

I noticed the other day that when I started using the heavier butt it "seemed" like the heavier butt, either put more effective spin on the cue ball OR I could say, it threw the object ball more than the lighter butt.

Now this is the same shaft, just experimenting with different butts that weigh differently.

The lighter butt and shaft weighed 19.1 ounces and the heavier combination weight 20.0 ounces.

Does anyone believe that the heavier weight cue either can impart more side spin (with the same stroke speed) or more throw to the object ball?

I have thought that maybe I "think" I am using the same speed stroke and maybe with the heavier cue I actually have a slower speed although I "think" I am using the same speed stroke; and the slower speed has more effective swerve and that's why I think the heavier cue is spinning the cue ball more.
Sounds good to me.

Another possible effect is that if you are actually using a stroke of the same speed, the heavier cue will transfer more speed to the CB (compared to the lighter cue). At a faster speed, there is less time for some of the sidespin to wear off on the way to the OB.

Another possible explanation is that you are doing something subconsciously or unintentionally that might make one cue respond a little differently than the other.

There's some "food for though" for you.

Regards,
Dave

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I shoot with a 15oz-16oz cue (I am not sure how much it weights exactly) that has no weight bolts in it. To be honest I think it is easier to get more action on the cue ball now that it is lighter. Having a lighter cue has forced me to work on my stoke and accuracy more, because it is harder to aim with less weight in my opinion. I have only been shooting without a weight bolt for a few weeks and it is a little weird because the cue does feel a bit hollow. I have noticed my game has gotten better since I have taken all the weight out of it, but I am still debating on putting a small weight bolt back in it so it doesn't feel so hollow. Its all subjective so do whatever you think is best for you and will help your game the most.

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
I'm betting it's the balance you like more than the weight

The action on the cue ball has a lot more to do with your stroke than anything else.

I, personally, have found that the balance of a cue makes more difference in "feel" than the weight. With the lighter butt, the cue is more forward balanced. Conversely, the heavier butt will move that balance point back.

My guess is that you like the balance with the heavier butt and are making a better stroke.

Check the balance point with the heavier butt. If you can find a lighter (or heavier) cue with the same balance point, my guess is you won't be able to tell the difference in weight and the "feel" (and results) will be the same.

JMHO.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are not intentionally applying side spin to your cue stroke. And very likely you are hitting the place on the cue ball where you intended to strike it with the light weight butt and the heavier weight butt. Here's an easy thing to do because rather than go into any elaboration when I'm known to be long-winded, this will quickly indicate part of the reason why there's a difference.

Take a piece of chalk and mark lightly on your wrap, or else place a piece of tape at the top of your palm grip (thumb obviously not included) and do likewise at the bottom knuckle of your pinky finger which should be the lowest point in your grip.

Grab you cue, pocket some pool balls and just decide what is the most comfortable position for your grip in general. Don't shoot any long shots where you slam the ball, or power draw strokes.....just pocket the balls with a smooth medium speed. relaxed stroke.....get a nice rhythmic feel to your stroke and then mark your grip position as described above.

Then determine the balance point of the cue with both shafts. just stick a piece of tape on the cue for each specific balance point. How do the two compare? Which do you prefer? The balance point on a cue is as important as the cue weight.

Cues can be made in a general way or the cues can be crafted. The latter generally involves more labor and often it's a lot of hands on with custom cue-makers. Think of it this way.......a cue-maker could make every cue with weight of 18 ozs or 20 ozs. and then merely change, lengthen or trim the weight bolt to give a customer the weight they ordered. The balance point of any cue could drastically be altered as you might imagine.......Dr. Dave might even suggest confirming the fulcrum point on your cue.

Matt B.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey, next time I'm in town, you should try out my cue. It weighs roughly 24oz!!!

I'll agree, though, I "think" I'm spinning the ball more with a heavier cue.

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in my opinion, 1 oz does not make a big difference. After a while, your brain adjusts to the weight automatically.
Maybe the difference will be more pronouced if the difference is between 15oz and 30oz.

I have a predator weight cartridge kit and play around with the weight sometimes, personally I prefer the weight to be slightly sturdy on 19.5oz to 20oz side. I just hit spins shots a little "true-er." Did not observe lesser spin with a lighter weight, I think it;s about the same spin but lighter butt tends to deviate the shot a little.

Just my 2 cents.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find a lighter cue gives more feedback. My Icon is 17.9 oz, with no weight bolt, and I draw better with it....and more accurately, then when set up at 19 oz. I feel I can effortlessly accelerate the cue, which in turn helps me more accurately strike the cue ball.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lighter or heavier I don't think matters too much. Earl supposedly used a really light cue back in the day at around 15oz or so while Efren was the exact opposite at 21oz or even heavier.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lighter or heavier I don't think matters too much. Earl supposedly used a really light cue back in the day at around 15oz or so while Efren was the exact opposite at 21oz or even heavier.

I think Corey Deuel uses 21ozs.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree about the weight not being important......just my opinion based upon my experience.
My '85 Runde Schon cue has Micarta ferrules and weighs 20.5 ounces (piloted steel joint).

My 2007 Owen cue plays 19/1 & 19.0 ozs (flat ivory joint & ferrules).

My Scruggs, Mottey and 2014 Bob Owen cues all play 18.1 to 18.6 ounces and the cue joints are ivory as are the ferrules.

I dare anyone to play with my Runde Schon cue and then try my Scruggs cue, Mottey cue or new Bob Owen cue and then
look me in the eye and say they don't notice any difference.......Bullshit.....it's never happened and I've lost count of the dozens
of players that have done this over the years, including a couple of California pro players.

Now I am not predicting you'd like the difference in feel but I am saying you will definitely notice it. The feel between the steel joint
& heavier weight of the Runde Schon versus these other cues is unmistakable. And the stroke pendulum is also very different due
to the enormous weight difference of two ounces.........and even the 19.0 oz '07 Owen cue feels different than my 2014 cue that's a
1/2 ounce lighter. When you know what you like, have experimented with different weights, then a cue that's made close to your
exact specs will play a lot better than a cue you bought that wasn't......until you experience this, sadly it's just a debate without end.

Matt B.

Last edited: