Cue makers whose brand value has decreased the most..

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously, some makers/companies such as Scruggs, Frey and Southwest the cues appreciate over time, what about brands/makers that have taken a total nose dive or will in the future in terms of resale value?

Krown custom cues and Sly cues are the first names that come to my mind, but curious what others makers have met a similar fate

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I think Mike Sigel did.
He closed shop and put the remaining cues on Ebay.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dale's cues were real high compared to now, I believe above that #, like 3 or 4k.

There were a lot of pizzd off people

I was talking with a coworker when I started a new job
six years ago. We were discussing hobbies and found
that he liked to play pool too. He was telling me
about his prized pool cue, a Dale Perry, he paid 2k for.
I asked him if he knew about the ebay cues he was doing
now and that his prized cue wasnt worth squat anymore.
He couldnt bring himself to believe my story.

I'm sure your correct. I have only personally seen 3 and they were all between $1,200-2,200. I have no doubt
many have paid more, they were nice cues.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Mike Sigel did.
He closed shop and put the remaining cues on Ebay.

I actually bought Mikes last 5 cues. He made a very nice cue and they certainly decreased in value and now are getting hard to find for sale.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously, some makers/companies such as Scruggs, Frey and Southwest the cues appreciate over time, what about brands/makers that have taken a total nose dive or will in the future in terms of resale value?

Krown custom cues and Sly cues are the first names that come to my mind, but curious what others makers have met a similar fate

Don't think Frey cues will ever be on the same level as Scruggs or Southwest.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Dont believe Frey or Scruggs went up in value, especially of you take into account what today's dollar is worth compared to then.

I had 1 Scruggs about 25 years ago - it played great! Had it leaned against the table and it fell over on carpet and the forearm broke. Wanted to cry lol.

Have never seen a cue break like that hitting concrete let alone carpet. Shafts yes, Butts no.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont believe Frey or Scruggs went up in value, especially of you take into account what today's dollar is worth compared to then.

I had 1 Scruggs about 25 years ago - it played great! Had it leaned against the table and it fell over on carpet and the forearm broke. Wanted to cry lol.

Have never seen a cue break like that hitting concrete let alone carpet. Shafts yes, Butts no.

I've seen it happen to a Gina and a McDaniel. Exact same circumstance, fell flat on carpeted floor in pool room.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
A long time ago I was at a big tournament, and Dale Perry was there with several cues.
I was talking with Dale, and while there was a lull, Shaky Joe took me aside and said he did't think they were a very good investment.
I know guys with $1300 Dale Perry cues and they love them.yy

Many cues have dropped in value on the secondary market.
Some cues were hot, and now they're not, but they still have value.
The Dale Perry thing is unlike other situations.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A long time ago I was at a big tournament, and Dale Perry was there with several cues.
I was talking with Dale, and while there was a lull, Shaky Joe took me aside and said he did't think they were a very good investment.

I think the early Perrys are a good buy for a playing cue....they were good cues.
...and can be had at bargain basement prices.

I know a guy who paid $1.800 for his...can’t get $500 for it now....and it’s a good cue.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Doesn't someone on here still have some Wheatbucks? :rotflmao1:

Definitely Krown, Sly, & Perry. Some of the older ones: Zinzola, Eason, & Summers.

There are some on my "do not buy from" list who's problems aren't really common knowledge, as of yet.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Cousins Custom Cues. Gained popularity in Northern CA, supposedly the next best thing....today, almost worthless. I bought into the hype, now I have a nice break cue.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't someone on here still have some Wheatbucks? :rotflmao1:

Definitely Krown, Sly, & Perry. Some of the older ones: Zinzola, Eason, & Summers.

There are some on my "do not buy from" list who's problems aren't really common knowledge, as of yet.

I don't know to much about the whole Eddie Wheat thing, just heard he was no bueno to deal with, didn't he draw on ring work or something crazy?
What was a wheatbuck?

Why did Sly make your list due to Harris Cue co controversy, or was he being weird before that?

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think DP cues on Ebay might be the cheapest cue with inlays on the market, at least that I have seen, cheaper than players, elite, Filipino cues, dunno how he even makes money on them.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My Lucasi is over a $100 more retail now then I paid for it new years ago.
If you sink big bucks into a custom and the value goes down too bad.

If you buy a production cue you know it's going to go down in value going in.

Personally I think spending more than $500 on a pure playing cue is foolish.
Spending big bucks on a cue for collecting, go for it.

rtbbf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably more than we want too know about...Blue Book of cues might have a few gone by the wayside

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
My cues have always been cheep and most play like crap, but my cue values have stayed consistent. Maybe I am just lucky?:p