Reload this Page Benefits of playing opponents with less skill
Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Benefits of playing opponents with less skill
Old
  (#1)
justnum
AzB Silver Member
justnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Benefits of playing opponents with less skill - 10-11-2019, 09:49 AM

When selecting opponents of less skill is it worth it to play them?

How can a strong player develop their game while playing against a weaker player?

Old
  (#2)
PoolBum
Abracadabra!

PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

10-11-2019, 09:56 AM

If you learn how to keep focused and still play your best against weaker players it can help you learn how to do the same against stronger players.

"He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know, but could have learned from books; that the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good...and that perhaps the day would come when, for the bane and the enlightening of men, it would rouse up its rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city."

Old
  (#3)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 09:57 AM

Being able to play your best game against
them is a difficult challenge.
Staying focused for 2 or 3 hours when
they are missing every third ball or
choking on money balls is not easy.
Also playing safe when your supposed
to instead of shooting the superstar
shot because you know they cant get out.

Old
  (#4)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-11-2019, 09:59 AM

I think againast6 a weaker player you can develop your game a little more. You have the
opportunity to try some things you typically wouldn't try against a better or equal player.
You might take this opportunity to not be so careful

Old
  (#5)
cycopath
Call me Banger.
cycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 400

10-11-2019, 10:01 AM

Always play the table, not your opponent.

Thatís how it should be, but we all think about the playing ability of our opponent and kind of subconsciously let that affect our own playing. You know how you play up or down depending upon your opponentís skill level.

Just try to play as good (and as smart) as you can... always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Kill them, Machine. Kill them all..." - Dino Velvet

Name: Brian
Playing Cue: Larry Miller w/OB Classic
Break Cue: Mace
Table: Piano finish Gold Crown IV (bought from Hemicudas. RIP $Bill)
Profession: Pawnbroker
Hours of play: 2-4 hours weekly
Conceal carry: Ruger LC9

Old
  (#6)
spartan
AzB Silver Member
spartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond repute

Talking 10-11-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justnum View Post

How can a strong player develop their game while playing against a weaker player?
Didn't Efren used to say that he likes watching newbies, bad players play pool. Because he can see what is possible watching all kinds of shots that these players will play
Much like de Bono creativity where you are encouraged to ask dumb questions.
But I am guessing Efren is exception to the rule.
Most strong players will not play weak player unless it is for money

Old
  (#7)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:

I find it actually harder to keep focus and play my best against worse players. In my mind I am always thinking about how bad they must feel to see someone beating them easily. That causes me to "miss" some shots where I would otherwise just run out the game against a good player that I know will punish me for missing.

If you give up a good enough spot that will get your focused though. I just played in a doubles tournament where our team had to play another one 7-3. With my partner not being a very good player (he was maybe a C+) and not knowing how to pick good patterns in 8 ball, it took a lot of thinking and good play on my end to overcome that spot and the fact my partner tended to pick the wrong shot to play. I was pretty focused the whole time.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#8)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 10:30 AM

You can win more

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#9)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Makes you focus. You need to beat 'em into the dust. No let up. Give them ZERO air.

Old
  (#10)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 10:43 AM

Some really nice opinions/advice given so far.

My wife is several levels below me and when we play (which is often), she gets a big spot. I have to work my a$$ off to overcome the weight. As competitive as my wife is coupled with the fact that I don't really want her beating me, I have to focus and shoot good pool to beat her.

So I would have to say YES to the OP's question. There can be benefits....but it's got to be done right.

FWIW, my wife beats me about two out of every three matches we play against one another. I think it's about time to change the spot, eh?

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#11)
mchnhed
I Came, I Shot, I Choked
mchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Carom Club View Post
You can win more
Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Makes you focus. You need to beat 'em into the dust. No let up. Give them ZERO air.
Great way to welcome new people to the sport!
No wonder Pool in America is dying.

Shoot Pool
Not People

Old
  (#12)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchnhed View Post
What??
As long as the person knows you play good I see
it as disrespectful to that person to let up on them in
any way. Most of the time they want to play with you
because you play good. They want to learn and
are excited to see good pool first hand.
In my experience if you dont play well against them
for whatever reason, they think you are letting up
on them(sometimes we all miss balls or play poorly).
They want you to beat them into dust not the other
way around.

Old
  (#13)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Cool story.

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#14)
pvc lou
AzB Silver Member
pvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

10-11-2019, 11:13 AM

duh!

common sense, y'all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Carom Club View Post
You can win more

Old
  (#15)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
10-11-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Typical reply.

Would it not also be true that playing poorly against the same prison would be insulting?

Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: