This is what happened in my match tonight

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One reason I hesitate to play in leagues is because of this stuff. Some people take leagues WAY more seriously than I do.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The link to the page you list has no mention of WPA. It mentions World-Standardized Rules.

Jim, I don't know what's not clear about this.

The BCA is the North American member of the World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA). The WPA developed new rules effective 1/1/2008. AzB member Bob Jewett played a major role in that effort. These rules are referred to as the World-Standardized Rules. The BCA adopted these rules. If you go to the WPA web site (http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=main), you'll see a button in the top row called "World Rules." Those are the World-Standardized Rules, which were adopted by the BCA.

Last edited:

sausage

Banned
We have a "by the rules to the death" guy in our club. We all hate playing him.

he does that because he can't win otherwise. let the air out of his tires when he's at the table. i did this to some "hip" yuppie pukes who were hired by cig companies to get people addicted to their poison. lol...

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

Jim, I don't know what's not clear about this.

The BCA is the North American member of the World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA). The WPA developed new rules effective 1/1/2008. AzB member Bob Jewett played a major role in that effort. These rules are referred to as the World-Standardized Rules. The BCA adopted these rules. If you go to the WPA web site (http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=main), you'll see a button in the top row called "World Rules." Those are the World-Standardized Rules, which were adopted by the BCA.

Thanks for explaining.

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
They do appear to be the WPA rules. However, the link to the page you refer to above has links to pdfs for each section and not to any part of the wpa-pool.com site.

I actually interested in finding an archived news posting say, "BCA is now adopting WPA rules effective 1/1/2008."

You're right. Although I have only been in the league for the last four seasons, it has existed for 20. We average about three season per year; so it's been around for about seven years.

Perhaps he will bring our rules up to date. I would prefer to play by the most recent and/or most commonly accepted rules.

Thanks

My my, what a thread. I hesitate to post and open wounds, but I am on this league and just reread the rules that were sent to all the members. While the rule might have changed in 2008 in official rule books or something, our rules specifically state from the League Director himself sent out in Dec 2009:

"A Habit That Can Be Painful: In other pool games, we all have caught a cue ball or an object ball as it drops in the pocket. Do not do it in Straight Pool. It will cost you a total of 16 points. See BCA Rule 6.75."

So, it seems that rule needs to be updated in our league. I understand where Mike is coming from, but I also understand where Jim is coming from. Tough situation among friends.

Hank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 major foul

We play if you catch the ball in the pocket it is a major 15 ball foul.Pretty sure it's the rule.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Rules

Nope, it's not the current rule, at least under World-Standardized Rules (adopted by the BCA). This was discussed at some length last year in the following thread, beginning with post #12:

Yes, this is true. But, it is best to learn the rules of one's League ( which in this case, I did not do) and something that I did out of friendship came back to bite me in the rear end. So, the best thing that I can tell everyone is:
The rules of your League are the ones that count until they get around to up dating the new rules.
Don't relax during your match just b/c you are friendly with your opponent.
Play your match and be friends afterwards.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, this is true. But, it is best to learn the rules of one's League ( which in this case, I did not do) and something that I did out of friendship came back to bite me in the rear end. So, the best thing that I can tell everyone is:
The rules of your League are the ones that count until they get around to up dating the new rules.
Don't relax during your match just b/c you are friendly with your opponent.
Play your match and be friends afterwards.

Sage advice, sir!