SBE 14.1 Challenge Dates/Location

D Player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi All,

I'm planning on heading up to SBE for a few days this year and thought I would try to watch some of the 14.1 play if I can.

Could someone please tell me when and where the event is supposed to take place?

Sorry if this is already posted somewhere else...I tried to find info on the SBE website but didn't see anything.

Thanks!
Jeff

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Here ya go, its all mapped out for ya !

look forward to seeing you there !

Steve

ChallengeArea.jpg
[/IMG]

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
At least its close to the food court...

good, maybe we could have a brew together, or a Philly Cheese Steak !!!!

I look forward to meeting ya bill, and thanks for offering to help !

PM Charlie (Forumghost516) i believe he has something for you !

Steve

D Player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome - thanks for the map, Steve!

Do you know when the tournament will happen yet?

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Awesome - thanks for the map, Steve!

Do you know when the tournament will happen yet?

the qualifying stage of the challenge will be March 18th thru 20th, then the tournament stage will be 21st.

we will be running the qualifier all day and night if possible, we expect to be very busy.!

look forward to seeing you there !
Steve

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 Heaven

Brews, Philly Cheese Steak, and the Championship Game=sounds like heaven to me!

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately the cheesesteaks are not quite as good as Pat's original Philly cheesesteak:frown:, but the pool will certainly make them taste better.

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Hey guys,

Some questions on format. First, must someone take all 5 of their innings consecutively? Not saying I necessarily wouldn't want to, I'm just curious if we had the option of, say, trading innings with another competitor if we so chose?

Second, do the players make appointments? I will only be there Friday to qualify, so I'm just worried that there might be 20 people on the list before me when I get there. I've never been to DCC so I really don't know how the logistics work.

Third, is there some sort of a practice table? Or do we pretty much pay our $25 and then get right into it?

Thanks!

- Steve

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Steve good questions,

1. Yes a player must take all five of their innings consecutively.

2. If you wish to make an appointment for scheduling conflicts that is fine I know that pros have a tough time balancing events within events.

3. Before your turn you will be able to hit one rack of balls on the table you will be playing on. That one rack is extended to each player to keep things fair. We want top form straight pool and we feel that getting that rack in will help each player lock in or at least pick up some stroke before the challenge begins.

Charlie

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is going to be a blast Ghost!

I just went down to my basement and tried the 5 consecutive racks with 1 practice rack. It took me an hour and 40 minutes to finish. Everyone better eat their wheaties.....it's work concentrating that long on 5 tries in a row without a break.....for me it is anyway :)

see you all there...

G.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Hey Steve good questions,

1. Yes a player must take all five of their innings consecutively.

2. If you wish to make an appointment for scheduling conflicts that is fine I know that pros have a tough time balancing events within events.

3. Before your turn you will be able to hit one rack of balls on the table you will be playing on. That one rack is extended to each player to keep things fair. We want top form straight pool and we feel that getting that rack in will help each player lock in or at least pick up some stroke before the challenge begins.

Charlie

Charlie: At Derby, sometimes a guy who was in the big tournament would be in the middle of his run, when he heard that he had 10 minutes to report for his match or he would be forfeited. Some of these "turns" can take close to an hour. I felt sorry for Marc Vidal. He was on a 70 ball run and they insisted he had to abandon it and go play one pocket. We marked the spot and let him continue. He had been in good rhythm but when he came back he missed a relatively easy break shot. I'm sure he would have qualified.

Anyways, just letting you know from our experience. If John Schmidt took all 5 tries, he might tie up the table for many hours.

Chat with Marop or Bob Jewett for the benefit of their experience as I was only there 2 years.

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
I think something needs to be adjusted for top rated players, (we all know who they are), that they can split up their tries and not do them consecutively, that could be to taxing on them. Something in the order of 2 tries consecutively (2 times) but can be at different times/days, then the final one attempt at some point.

Just my thoughts

Kev

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
It just came to me how this issue of 5 consecutive can be solved. Have players earn the right to reschedule next attempts, of their total 5 attempts.

Players can earn this by running 65 or more in any of their attempts. Each attempt will be a seperate earning ability, so for instance your 1st attempt you run 38, you MUST then continue your attempts. Then your second try you run 73, you now earn the right to leave the table and come back at another time to finish the attempts, or continue on as your choice. If they come back at another time it resets and they have to run at least 65 again in any attempt to earn the right to come back again, if any attempts are remaining of course.

I put several scenarios of this thru my head and I think it works. Also its the same rules for all that enter.

Maybe the magic number should be 50, I don't know, just an idea to put out there.

Kev

Last edited:

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I completely understand where you guys are coming from. Now what about the amateur players who have a TAP match to go play in or the guys in trick shot matches. While I want to remain as fair as possible to everyone we also have to take into consideration the other people that will be playing in this event as well. I am very open to suggestions and look forward to hearing them. I understand for the top guys and gals time management at an event like this and the derby can be a pain in the ass. I do want the top level people to play in this event but I do not want to have a guy taking a run or two and then a day later going ok i will finish now.

Let me know what you think guys via pm.

Charlie

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also one thing just came to mind if a player is in the middle of a run and we have to leave the balls as is for that player when they return after a match hypothetically wont that tie up one of my tables for a while when others could be using it ?

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Also one thing just came to mind if a player is in the middle of a run and we have to leave the balls as is for that player when they return after a match hypothetically wont that tie up one of my tables for a while when others could be using it ?

Charlie, you definately can't leave the balls and wait. What Dennis mentioned for Marc Vidal was that he was down to his breakball and they marked the cueball and breakball only on the table with something, a little round sticky or something, then the next day or whenever they placed the 2 balls on the marks, not all the balls.

Kev

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately the cheesesteaks are not quite as good as Pat's original Philly cheesesteak:frown:, but the pool will certainly make them taste better.

Huh? You're going to throw your cheesesteaks in the pool? If I recall, the Radisson uses a lot of chlorine in their pool; won't that make them taste even worse than better?

:p

-Sean