More Porper B info needed

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Please watch the video and give me your thoughts... I noticed this yesterday. The top black plate on the carriage has slop in it. Surely this is not normal... I just happened to see the movement and decided to see how much play was in it with the dial indicator... The play is in the 2 supports for carriage that the cross slide rests on....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDCmcCoTJ0A

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could you post a photo showing more of the lathe? From the closeups and movement, it is hard to decide if there is flex in the bars or is there a bearing or bushing that is worn.

It would be nice to see these bars from several views.

JC

Coos Cues
I fiddle farted around with cue lathes for a couple of years. And they do have tons of things they do very well. I wouldn't get rid of them but.............

When I finally bought a metal lathe my eyes were opened wide.

JC

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Could you post a photo showing more of the lathe? From the closeups and movement, it is hard to decide if there is flex in the bars or is there a bearing or bushing that is worn.

It would be nice to see these bars from several views.

The circled area in the photo below is where the movement is. There is one on the back side as well. 2 screws come up through the bottom of each one that attach to the black plate. Its appears like the holes have worn some... Im not sure if I should make 2 new ones or bore these out slightly and install a bushing... I was hoping some Porper B owners would check to see how much play theirs had... But I need to do something to tighten it up...

And JC, Im going to look at a 1340 metal lathe Saturday morning... I agree... These have a good use, but a more sturdy lathe will be nice...

Porper B carriage1.jpg