Thoughts & photos from the Maryland Open (part 1)

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
• Max and Lipsky played like it was the finals. Perfect opening safe, then like 4 safety exchanges after.
Max got to a big lead and lipsky put him in a trap and got him to 3 foul. The next time I looked up, he had apparently 3-fouled again
and had lost almost 40 points. Then Lipsky gathered the balls and demanded a rebreak,
Max didn't meet the requirements and lost two more points. I missed the rest but Lipsky won something like 100-90.

Hi Creedo. Thanks for the nice write-up. Figured I'd clarify that Max only three-fouled the one time. It was actually a rather bizarre situation.

The score was about 89-80 Max, in a race to 100. I had been running some balls to catch up, and got stuck in a position with three balls on the table, but two of them had just tied up. Worse, they tied up between the cueball and the loose ball, so I literally just have nothing.

I've played only a handful of games this year so I'm really out of "strategy-stroke". After a moment, I remember the play - kick at the loose ball in a way that won't disturb the cluster and is also not likely to leave him a shot at breaking it up. So I play the kick, but a little unluckily leave him an easy shot at not only making the loose ball but also breaking the cluster.

Max makes the shot, but just misses the cluster. So now he's really in a bad spot. After a long decision, he rolls the cueball to the other end of the table, which is not unreasonable. No-brainer for me; I just roll it right back. He does it again, I do it again. He takes the third foul.

So he goes to 72. As I rack the balls, I remind him that I'm still on two. As soon as I tell him this, I kind of see the wheels turning in his mind, as to how he can take advantage of this. I kind of know what's about to happen, and I do feel bad about it, but he just rolls the cueball up and down the table on the shot that's supposed to be his opening break. He assumes that now he'll be on one, but I'm still on two. I am in the bad spot of having to tell him this won't work, and is going to cost him two points. He asks if I'm sure, and I say I am :).

Now he's at 70. This time, he tries the opening break, but fails to hit two object balls to a rail. 68. At this point he jokes that he plans to go back to 0, so he can go for the high run prize.

The really bizarre thing is that when he finally gets the break right on the next attempt, he gets it really right. He leaves me nothing but a thin-ball safe, which I hit really badly and miss entirely! So now I'm on three, lose all the points, and have to rebreak. Unreal.

The events from there get even sillier, but I'd need the ability to post a diagram, which I guess we can't really do anymore.

Anyway, figured I'd set the story a little straighter on this. Thanks again for the great write-up.

- Steve

Archer did not run 100

Thorsten Hohmann beat Johnny Archer in a fantastic finals to 150 where both players ran over 100 balls.

In the game. It took a few innings (including safeties) to reach 111 for JA. I believe he ran about 80. He led 111 - 0. Thorsten ran 122. Archer missed and Thorsten ran out.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the game. It took a few innings (including safeties) to reach 111 for JA. I believe he ran about 80. He led 111 - 0. Thorsten ran 122. Archer missed and Thorsten ran out.

Johnny's runs were 1, 44, and 69. He had 3 fouls to reduce his score to 111.

Thorsten's runs were 2, 124, and 27. He also had 3 fouls to end up at 150.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Thanks for straightening me out guys, I was wondering what Max was joking about...
he seemed to take it in stride but I sensed frustration. That match would have been
great on the stream table. Speaking of the stream, I shoulda been paying more attention,
I thought johnny ran straight to 111.

Well anyway, nice play by all. Look forward to next year's and I hope it falls entirely on the weekend.