Has There Ever Been A Bigger Weekend In Pool

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Has there ever been a bigger weekend in pool, all across the country? Looks like there will be a lot to talk about come Monday morning.

Spring Texas $10,000 Total Added Big Tyme Classic - $5000 added 9 ball, $1500 added one pocket, $1500 added banks, $1000 added seniors, $1000 added womens. Run by JumpinJoe who looks like he has things organized very well. Streamed by poolactiontv.com. This is followed up by the big White Diamonds event the next week.

Las Vegas $3700 Added Andy Mercer Memorial - huge calcutta. SVB has won this event the past 3 years. 9 ball, loser breaks on a bar table. (I may even stop by for this one. :smile: )

Denver - Nick Varner Classic Pro Event $10,000 Added; Amateur Event $8,000 added. First event for this group in one of my favortie cities. JCIN from www.theactionreport.com will be on hand streaming FREE all weekend

Indianapolis - 30th Midwest Bar Table 9 Ball Classic $1,500 Added. One of the great action rooms in the country. Very well run by Mac Ashby. I am sure that Brian Groce will be on hand to do the player auction and he does it like no other if you have never seen it.

Maryland - 2014 Maryland State 9 Ball Bar Box Championships $500 Added. A smaller event money added-wise but still usually has a strong field. Run by dannyb78

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
My friends and I plan on cruising down to Brickyard to sweat some of the action. The only unfortunate thing is that all of these awesome events are going on at the same time.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has there ever been a bigger weekend in pool, all across the country? Looks like there will be a lot to talk about come Monday morning.

Spring Texas $10,000 Total Added Big Tyme Classic - $5000 added 9 ball, $1500 added one pocket, $1500 added banks, $1000 added seniors, $1000 added womens. Run by JumpinJoe who looks like he has things organized very well. Streamed by poolactiontv.com. This is followed up by the big White Diamonds event the next week.

Las Vegas $3700 Added Andy Mercer Memorial - huge calcutta. SVB has won this event the past 3 years. 9 ball, loser breaks on a bar table. (I may even stop by for this one. :smile: )

Denver - Nick Varner Classic Pro Event $10,000 Added; Amateur Event $8,000 added. First event for this group in one of my favortie cities.

Indianapolis - 30th Midwest Bar Table 9 Ball Classic $1,500 Added. One of the great action rooms in the country. Very well run by Mac Ashby. I am sure that Brian Groce will be on hand to do the player auction and he does it like no other if you have never seen it.

Maryland - 2014 Maryland State 9 Ball Bar Box Championships $500 Added. A smaller event money added-wise but still usually has a strong field. Run by dannyb78

Man, that is strong. Wow! Pool is alive and well, after all, it would seem. :cool:

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, maybe a big weekend for THIS WEEK, but a bigger weekend in yesteyear would have been wathching Keith and Vernon match up in Knoxville!!!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, maybe a big weekend for THIS WEEK, but a bigger weekend in yesteyear would have been wathching Keith and Vernon match up in Knoxville!!!

Ironically, I played Vernon Elliott in Knoxville. I can't remember the year, but I was on the road with Geese (Michael Gerace). We arrived in Knoxville in the evening and checked into a motel. My impression of Knoxville was that it was dead as a doornail, like a ghost town. There were vacant buildings, closed stores, and it seemed like there wasn't a car on the road in the downtown area. Very strange! It was the year after the World's Fair was there, so I'm thinking it was in the early '80s or thereabouts. :)

Geese decided he didn't want to venture out in the night to drum up some action. He just wanted to smoke a dubie and watch westerns on the TV. Geese loved to watch westerns, his favorite pastime. But me, I had just scored a small win at Baker's in Greensboro, NC with somebody's teenage daughter. It wasn't a lot of money ($5 a game), but a win is a win, and so I was kind of digging me being a road player now. :cool:

I decided to drive out into town and see if I could find an action spot. There was a little bar with one table. I can still see it in my mind. It was in the fork of the road, a painted-white building with a big parking lot. I moseyed on in there like I was a big-shot gambler, coming off a mini win in the Carolinas. :p

I started working the crowd at the bar, letting them know I wanted to gamble some. I cannot believe how green I was back then. Today, when I think about it, it's quite embarrassing. :embarrassed2:

The bartender said he'd get somebody in there to play me, and within minutes, an older gentleman came in, ready for action. I could see the guy was much better than me. Our games of 8-ball were four- and five-shots per game. Meanwhile, I believe this guy could have run out in a heartbeat, but he was laying down the lemon. He didn't smile much. He was all business. $80 later, I unscrewed my cue, thanked him for his game, and drove back to the hotel. Geese, thankfully, was asleep. :wink:

The next morning, Geese and I came to the conclusion that Knoxville was dead and so we drove out of town to our next destination. I never let him know how much I lost. I can't believe that I was playing a legend at that time and never knew it. :grin-devilish:

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
All bitterness and wrong-doing aside, the IPT Championship in
Reno was the biggest thing ever for Pool since Johnston City.

With the right people behind it, a similar format would be well
received by players and viewers alike. I would again be sitting
front row VIP throughout the Match.

Are there any Honest, Rich Pool Enthusiasts out there who are
ready to make it happen ? Doubtful.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
By no means am I knocking how "strong" pool is this week, but I did notice....

http://www.ifptour.com/tournaments/2014/2014_IL_State.jpg

$5000 added fooseball tourney

http://www.pegttour.com/tournaments/info.php?eventID=20

$5000 Golden Tee tourney in 2 weeks (Video Game)

http://www.texasstates.org/2014/index2.html

$10000 Texas State Disc Golf tourney

Not trying to be snarky....just wanted to point out comparable payouts

Wow - a $5000 added Golden Tee Tournament. I will definitely be checking that out and suggest every else does too. :thumbup:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member

Denver - Nick Varner Classic Pro Event $10,000 Added; Amateur Event $8,000 added. First event for this group in one of my favortie cities. JCIN from www.theactionreport.com will be on hand streaming FREE all weekend

18th annual IL State Pocket Billiards Championship, St. Charles IL

Horsetrader

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Talk to Phil Hunt, he was there backing Burnie when he played Keith in the early 80's. Not as good as watching but all information coming from Phil is reliable. FYI

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to mention all the unnamed gambling action over the weekend. It was very likely the biggest weekend since the IPT. Definitely more than Derby.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was plenty of action in Houston. 24/7 from Wednesday night till now.
500 a game, 1000 a game one hole.
1500 sets, 3000 sets, 5000 sets, and a 10 dime set.
Plenty of bank ring games at 20 a rail.
Side action galore.

They even got me in a 3 dime set after not playin but like 8 times in the past year.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not even close to the biggest weekend, it's a blip imo

dcc is the biggest nowadays

ipt was the biggest ever

the higher paying US opens and world championships over the past decade were bigger than this weekend, actually any and all majors where all the best competed also.

those world championships in the phillipines were insane, the ones in the uk too

mosconi cup too

before that the pbt with their espn contract had some very big events

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There has not been a bigger one for me...though I do hope to revise that statement at a later time!

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not even close to the biggest weekend, it's a blip imo

dcc is the biggest nowadays

ipt was the biggest ever

the higher paying US opens and world championships over the past decade were bigger than this weekend, actually any and all majors where all the best competed also.

those world championships in the phillipines were insane, the ones in the uk too

mosconi cup too

before that the pbt with their espn contract had some very big events

You must be talking about production value. $$$$ is not close. Obviously I could have missed a huge set at the DCC or something but the entire DCC payout is only $203,000.

Horsetrader

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ironically, I played Vernon Elliott in Knoxville. I can't remember the year, but I was on the road with Geese (Michael Gerace). We arrived in Knoxville in the evening and checked into a motel. My impression of Knoxville was that it was dead as a doornail, like a ghost town. There were vacant buildings, closed stores, and it seemed like there wasn't a car on the road in the downtown area. Very strange! It was the year after the World's Fair was there, so I'm thinking it was in the early '80s or thereabouts. :)

Geese decided he didn't want to venture out in the night to drum up some action. He just wanted to smoke a dubie and watch westerns on the TV. Geese loved to watch westerns, his favorite pastime. But me, I had just scored a small win at Baker's in Greensboro, NC with somebody's teenage daughter. It wasn't a lot of money ($5 a game), but a win is a win, and so I was kind of digging me being a road player now. :cool:

I decided to drive out into town and see if I could find an action spot. There was a little bar with one table. I can still see it in my mind. It was in the fork of the road, a painted-white building with a big parking lot. I moseyed on in there like I was a big-shot gambler, coming off a mini win in the Carolinas. :p

I started working the crowd at the bar, letting them know I wanted to gamble some. I cannot believe how green I was back then. Today, when I think about it, it's quite embarrassing. :embarrassed2:

The bartender said he'd get somebody in there to play me, and within minutes, an older gentleman came in, ready for action. I could see the guy was much better than me. Our games of 8-ball were four- and five-shots per game. Meanwhile, I believe this guy could have run out in a heartbeat, but he was laying down the lemon. He didn't smile much. He was all business. $80 later, I unscrewed my cue, thanked him for his game, and drove back to the hotel. Geese, thankfully, was asleep. :wink:

The next morning, Geese and I came to the conclusion that Knoxville was dead and so we drove out of town to our next destination. I never let him know how much I lost. I can't believe that I was playing a legend at that time and never knew it. :grin-devilish:

Keith, You was there, I wasn't. However, a close and dear friend of mine was there and tells the story somewhat different. He said, you stuck your head in the door and yeld out "anyone in here want to play for money". This is comely done among good pool players that WANT action and don't really want to hustle. Phil Hunt, a student of Vernon Elliott and his backer, was there. Phil is like a genius and logs everything down. He didn't say how much they won, I think he said that they had won around 600 dollars or so. HOWEVER, he said Vernon simply out played you and both players played excellent. Phil said it was the best match he saw in some time or ever saw. The year was 1982 but I'll check that to be sure. I was asked to go on that trip but I didn't. I heard about the match first thing when they returned. NOW, I'm not saying you're not telling the truth, I'm saying, I heard the story told different. Plus IN YOUR own words you told the story between you and Vernon much differently. You even said Vernon put something like 15 racks on you. When I read that I knew that wasn't true because Phil would have certainly mentioned that. I'm sure you wasn't a seasoned road warrior like you became. Vernon obviously was.

By the way, a friend of yours Mike Johnson played Vernon Elliott in 1984. He beat Burnie or Vernon and Billy Johnson out of 19 thousand dollars around Johnson City TN. Vernon gave Mike the 5 and both adjusted the game. Burnie never liked the game, Vernon didn't use his real name so Mike didn't know it was Vernon Elliott. 1988 at the US open in Va. Beach, I asked you about Mike and you said he OD. You said he was a good guy. I agree. Good pool player, he always did right by me. He was living in Memphis at the time. I will ask Phil what happened so long ago to get the story straight. Hope this helps but I see no reason to doubt you. I just know the story was told different to me.

You seemed to be saying you wasn't a road player then but Mike Johnson said ya'll was road buddies and you was/is one hell of a player. I know Mike sure could play. A great short stop, best I ever ran with.

Last edited: