There are 2 ways to aim….

Yoda4962

North Texas
Silver Member
And only 2.

They are :
1. Subjective ways
2. Objective ways.

To play at a high level, you need to be trying to get to number 2.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
this a short anecdote
i was playing a pro one pocket
he very casually walked up to the table and made what to me was a very difficult cut shot
i asked him how does he make that shot without alot of "aiming"
he said to me
come over to the table next to me
close your eyes
point to the upper left pocket
now open your eyes
"you see you knew where the pocket was without looking at it"
"i know where the pocket is"...:D
this is a true story

he knows where the pocket is
thats objective (maybe i should say where the pocket is is objective)
he knows how to hit the ball so it goes there
is that subjective or objective??

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't disagree with a lot of what you said. However, it is blatantly clear you lack a thorough understanding of CTE/Pro One. It is erroneous for you to state your opinion, as fact, when you clearly don't understand the facts.

Hmm...No, I don't agree with any of this.

1. Aiming is only objective in the sense that (with a given set of cloth and ball conditions) there is a point of aim (by which I mean the direction the cue is aiming at cue ball contact that will pocket a ball at a given speed. As any experienced player would know, freshly polished balls will behave differently from balls that are dirty and sticky from contaminants. Even different brands/types of polish will make the balls behave slightly differently. There is no reason to obsess over this, we make adjustments for this without even being aware most of the time.There are actually several lines of aim to pocket any ball, but lets forget about swerve and deflection for a moment.

How we perceive and arrive at this point will in some sense always be subjective to the individual. I no longer buy (actually I did buy several Dvds from people who claimed this) the existence of a perfect, "objective" aiming system that would fit every one and every situation. Granted, there are some ways to arrive at the aim point that may be better suited to more people than other rival ways of doing it, but that is it. I am also sceptical of the particular system which is claimed to be the answer by most of the active members on this sub forum.

Once a system is adapted to the individual and internalized it is, in a way subjective and can no longer be viewed as objective in any really meaningful way.

2. Top players play with the experience of having played millions of shots and I don't believe for a second that they consciously aim every ball. They make instinctive adjustments even within the same game, as the balls get dirtier etc. There is no system for that, or at least none that I have heard of. Besides, if you were to consciously think of every little aspect of a shot, your brain would be overloaded and you could no longer perform at the highest level. Do you think top musicians think about their finger pressure on every note etc? Of course not, they have trained in such a way that these movements are all subconscious. They think about the music and how they want it to sound, and their subconscious and muscle memory allows that to happen.

Experience, muscle memory/ hand to eye coordination, innate talent, great imagination, those are the secrets of the top players. Most of them are gifted with all of them, some have more of one than the others No shortcut exist to aquire any of those. Deal with it.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
subjective - adjective
1. existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought (opposed to objective ).
2. pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual: a subjective evaluation.
3. placing excessive emphasis on one's own moods, attitudes, opinions, etc.; unduly egocentric.
4. Philosophy . relating to or of the nature of an object as it is known in the mind as distinct from a thing in itself.
5. relating to properties or specific conditions of the mind as distinguished from general or universal experience.

objective - adjective
(first 3 are noun definitions)
4. being the object or goal of one's efforts or actions.
5. not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.
6. intent upon or dealing with things external to the mind rather than with thoughts or feelings, as a person or a book.
7. being the object of perception or thought; belonging to the object of thought rather than to the thinking subject (opposed to subjective ).
8. of or pertaining to something that can be known, or to something that is an object or a part of an object; existing independent of thought or an observer as part of reality.

I would say he used #5 of objective as he knew without a doubt where that pocket was and where he had to make contact to make the ball go that way based on past experience. He then got into his shot and switched to #1 of subjective to picture the shot, where the balls would ultimately end up as he fine tuned and executed the shot. Anytime you have to accommodate a shot in any way whether it is for speed, spin, cloth conditions etc then you are being subjective. If you hit every shot the exact same way without accounting for any other variables then you are being objective as the facts (target location, target spot to hit) are known and there is nothing for you to consider into completing the shot.

Last edited: