Cue refinish

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an ebony cue by a well known cue maker that made it for me approx 20 years ago and I have used it very little (dozen times). It has silver rings which I suppose due to aging have raised above the wood somewhat and the edges are very noticeable. So far I have been unable to make contact with the cue maker to ask if he can refinish this cue. He makes fewer than 20 cues per year but if I mentioned his name every custom cue builder would recognize his name so at the moment he will remain nameless. My question is can these metal rings be resurfaced to match the wood level? Is it a routine problem? If it isn't improper to ask, who would be some cue makers to contact? The cues finish is perfect but I realize it will need refinishing. Also, it has a leather wrap which I assume will need replacing. Input appreciated.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Proficient Billiards could take care of that no problem. I wouldn't hesitate to send any job to them.

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
You are correct in your assumption the this is a common problem with metal rings. The cue could be refinished but the bump you feel from the rings might reappear in time. To over simplify things, the rings have not really raised, but the finish has shrunk. Wood has more compression than the metal, so you feel a bump.

Alan

Phelps Custom Cues

Horsetrader

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an ebony cue by a well known cue maker that made it for me approx 20 years ago and I have used it very little (dozen times). It has silver rings which I suppose due to aging have raised above the wood somewhat and the edges are very noticeable. So far I have been unable to make contact with the cue maker to ask if he can refinish this cue. He makes fewer than 20 cues per year but if I mentioned his name every custom cue builder would recognize his name so at the moment he will remain nameless. My question is can these metal rings be resurfaced to match the wood level? Is it a routine problem? If it isn't improper to ask, who would be some cue makers to contact? The cues finish is perfect but I realize it will need refinishing. Also, it has a leather wrap which I assume will need replacing. Input appreciated.

The best person to use is in Penn. He's refinish my a few of my sticks and they look better than new. He's very professional and honest, but he's not cheap. The last cue I had refinished cost me over 300 dollars but he also fixed the butt, amazing work.
Scott Sherbine is his name:

http://www.proficientbilliards.com/cues/Scot_Sherbine/

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
You should have a knowledgeable cuemaker or repairman inspect the cue. Depending on the degree of shrinkage and amount of finish on the cue it, the problem might be remedied with a wet sanding and re-polishing. Might be able to save the original wrap as well in the process. I wouldn't jump to conclusions until knowing eyeballs see the cue and make recommendations. BTW, no shame at all for a shrunken finish after 20 years. If you lived in a climate similar to Las Vegas you could have a shrunken finish in a fraction of that time! Good luck.